Author Topic: Malware: Antivir Solution Pro - AVAST did not catch it  (Read 2266 times)

al91206

Malware: Antivir Solution Pro - AVAST did not catch it
« on: August 10, 2010, 07:19:21 PM »
Just an FYI - there is a malware program called ANTIVIR SOLUTION PRO - and it installs a proxy and a resident process that tells you that each executable you try - including / especially task manager is infected (it's not).  Then it pops up various websites that AVAST did block.

Honestly it was pretty maddening and the ultimate solution was to reboot in safe mode, uncheck the proxy in Internet Options, run malwarebytes which found and removed the infected registry entries and reboot safely.

Thanks - I still think AVAST is a great product - just mentioning this in hopes it can be updated to find / remove / destroy / or better yet deny entry into the system at all.

This could be due to me using the free version (5.0).

Hermite15

Re: Malware: Antivir Solution Pro - AVAST did not catch it
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2010, 07:43:50 PM »
This could be due to me using the free version (5.0)

no, this is first due to you downloading that rogue. Whether Avast could intercept it or not is another question. Sounds like it is still a difficult task for many AVs to block rogue software actions, either once already downloaded, or at download time.
 On a side note I can well imagine that it's hard to block the download itself, unless the site itself is already blacklisted (network shield), but I find it hard to admit that avast cannot block the installation of the rogue once dowloaded.