Author Topic: License key is license.dat NOT .avastlic and I can't insert it into avast  (Read 28807 times)

daisy519

Please help, I need to activate my Internet Security new program. The email I received has an attachment called license.dat and I saved it to Desktop, but when I click on it it just says there's no program available to open it. I then asked for it to be "resent" and I got an email back saying no such license had been purchased. I also called the help number and it is out of service.

Offline scythe944

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
    • My Tech Blog
1. Where did you purchase the program? (an actual link or phone number).

2. Can you just rename the file to *.avastlic and see if it works?

If you sent an email to support and they said that a license hadn't been purchased, it leads me to believe that you may have purchased from a scam site.
For generic computer (not avast) problems, you can also visit my forum for help: http://www.jacobytech.net/forum

og_77

i am having the exact same problem.  it has taken forever, multiple installs and scouring the web site.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
The best things in life are free.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Instructions about inserting the license key won't help if the license file is incorrect, that is what has to be resolved.

@ daisy519 and og_77
Did you not get an email with a link to download the license file (license.avastlic) ?

Try the suggested renaming the license.dat file as scythe944 suggested.

If you didn't have a link to download the license.avastlic file and the rename suggestion doesn't work - contact sales (at) avast (dot) come. Give them details of the Date of purchase, Where purchased and the email address used for the transaction. If you have any invoice information, order number, etc. that may help them track it down.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2010, 03:26:15 PM by DavidR »
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

og_77

tried renaming the file.  even the download in the profile is a .dat not .avastic

have uninstalled and reinstalled twice

the response this morning from the support team was links to download and links to documentation!  already burned 4 hours on that. was hoping for more.

i have turned of the windows 7 firewall and tried to activate the installed version but although it will connect to avast when updating (although tells me not activated) it won't connect when trying to activate.  says please make sure I am connected to the internet.  SO part of the app recognizes that I am connect but not the activation.

starting to regret buying the license. ANY HELP would be greatly appreciated.

og_77

new email with proper file sent this morning.  .avastlic  clicked and worked in seconds.

a little pissed off with the wasted time considering I did all they asked with the wrong file they sent initially. 

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
tried renaming the file.  even the download in the profile is a .dat not .avastic
Any manipulation of the file will broke it.
Can you access your email through webmail and check if the file is correct there (and by any chance, corrupted into your email program)?

Anyway, glad you've sorted it out  :)

Offline scythe944

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
    • My Tech Blog
tried renaming the file.  even the download in the profile is a .dat not .avastic
Any manipulation of the file will broke it.

I've found that renaming the file doesn't break the license at all.  Now, opening the file and making a change surely will.

In fact, I just got a new license for 3 years on monday and it came it the new format (license.avastlic) and I had to install it into my AMS server which uses the old format (license.dat).  Renaming the file did no harm and the AMS took it gladly.
For generic computer (not avast) problems, you can also visit my forum for help: http://www.jacobytech.net/forum

YoKenny

@  og_77
 I find that patience is a virtue and your questions will be answered  ;)

daisy519

Tried renaming, didn't work. Will contact sales for a new file...

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
I've found that renaming the file doesn't break the license at all.  Now, opening the file and making a change surely will.
If you transmit the file with a different extension, won't it corrupt it? I'm not sure. Just I've guessed with the same behavior while uploading a file to forum with a different extension. But, probably, I'm wrong.

daisy519

Correct email to contact them is support at support.avast.com.  They sent a proper license file and it worked. thanks everyone.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Correct email to contact them is support at support.avast.com.  They sent a proper license file and it worked. thanks everyone.
You're welcome. Feel free to come back any time you need help or just to change experiences 8)

Offline scythe944

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
    • My Tech Blog
If you transmit the file with a different extension, won't it corrupt it? I'm not sure. Just I've guessed with the same behavior while uploading a file to forum with a different extension. But, probably, I'm wrong.

Well, just do this simple test.  Take an image file, such as a jpg.  rename it to .dat.  Then, rename it back to .jpg and try to open it.

It should work just fine.

The problem is when you try to rename a file, open it up and change something.  Once saved, it's screwed.  If you don't touch anything but the extension, it shouldn't do any harm.

I've done this with exe's as well, since Outlook and most internet providers will prevent exe's and other files from being sent in emails.  If I had to get a small exe over to someone quickly, I'd just rename it to ._xe or something like that and send it with instructions to the recipient to change it back to an .exe before trying to run it.  Always worked in the past...