Author Topic: Cannot browse web with Avast active  (Read 16148 times)

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: Cannot browse web with Avast active
« Reply #30 on: July 19, 2010, 11:31:27 PM »
avast should work with the Script Shield working and enabled.
You don't need to disable anything in avast to have it working.
The best things in life are free.

ziucqea

« Reply #31 on: July 20, 2010, 09:05:59 AM »
Well, according to avast!, Network Shield 'monitors all network activity and blocks any threats that are detected on the network. It also blocks access to known malicious websites based on the avast! database of infected URLs'.
Furthermore, let's make a test: For a known malisious website, when enabling Web Shield, it absorbs the whole webpage, and the notification is as 4.png
When enabling Network Shiled only, the webpage was displayed successfully, infected elements were blocked selectively (well, I'm also confused... Since the notification says 'malisious URL blocked', does it only check url agasinst its database?), as shown in 2.png and 3.png; when the infected script tried to write in Firefox's cache, it was picked out by Filesystem Shield (1.png).
So since the infected elements would anyway be kept from the computer, does it make any difference between enabling and diasbling Web Shield?
« Last Edit: July 20, 2010, 09:13:09 AM by ziucqea »

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #32 on: July 20, 2010, 04:46:48 PM »
As I keep banging on in Reply #28 of this topic (and my head against a brick wall it seems), the two shields perform different functions, the network shield is doing what I said it does.

Quote from: DavidR from Reply #28
I have only been using the program for a little over six years, so I'm a relative novice at this. But, the Network Shield does not check for viruses period, that isn't its function. for every external link in a web page the network shield will check that domain against its malicious sites list, note the word domain it isn't scanning for viruses.

The other function the network shield does is the monitoring of ports commonly used for exploit/attack (the network activity mentioned), DCOM, etc. but is most certainly isn't scanning for specific viruses/malware.

Of course it makes a difference in not enabling the web shield, the whole point is to provide different levels of protection and the web shield keeps it off the system rather than detect it on the system. The web shield also detects the hacks used by the inserted iframe and script tags.

Those type of attacks in hacked sites are best blocked early as you don't know what the payload might be at the other end of the iframe/script tag might be if it gets run, it could well be that whatever is at the other end is a new variant and might not be detected. Why do you think that the driveby download of rogue security applications is so prevalent.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

ziucqea

« Reply #33 on: July 21, 2010, 12:28:33 PM »
Will Web Shield detect what can't be picked up by Filesystem Shield? I mean do they use the same database, and the default settings of 'sensitivity' for them are the same, right?
On the other hand, do you have a better resolution on avast!'s stopping webpages from displaying? This seems to be a fairly good alternation.
PS: we need an official resolution.... Where are you, Avast! team?

BILL G

« Reply #34 on: July 21, 2010, 08:36:34 PM »
    REF.  My  REPLY  #23 + #25

The Good News     I fixed  My  Problem.

The Bad News   I am not  sure of the Cause or the Fix

?   Is there any History of ASK  TOOLBAR  Screwing  up  Avast  AV  or  Internet   Access ?

tmenasco

« Reply #35 on: August 11, 2010, 07:37:45 PM »
OK, I am having the exact same problem on a fresh install of Windows XP MCE 2005.

I am a reseller and have only installed the managed versions, but I was building a box for a relative and decided to but AIS 5 on it.

Immediately after the boot, could not get to the internet.

I can browse the net if I disable the web shield.

Does anyone have a working solution for this issue yet?