Author Topic: Avast! 5.0.462 Free update tip against of unexpected system shutdown  (Read 4701 times)

raziel

Hi everyone! Today I had a power failure in my district just when my Avast! 5.0.462 Free was updating a virus definitions and my Windows XP shut down. And then something went wrong. After I rebooted my machine and opened Avast's! GUI to check whether it's virus definitions has been correctly updated or not, I saw that they're outdated: (!) 100309-1. I thought it is normal situation given that this power failure, so I clicked an "Update" tab on the "Summary" screen next to this outdated virus definitions. And after a while I had an unpleasent surprise: Avast! said my signatures has been already updated (100310-0), but on the "Summary" screen it was still: (!) 100309-1. Next what I did was rebooting my machine again, in the hope this would fix this issue. Unfortunately, it didn't help. I have also tried "Repair" with "Add or remove programs", but it has failed too. I was about to wait and see if the next auto-update of the signatures would fix this glitch, but I thought: there must be some workaround! I had an illumination ;D. And what if I reboot an Avast! itself, without rebooting my OS? Bull's-eye! And this is what I did: first I disabled an Avast's! self-defence module in Settings - Troubleshooting and I shut it down completely via "Services" in "Administrative tools". Subsequently I launched Avast! again and enabled self-defence module. And after these steps I had this nice looking (V) 100310-0 on my Summary screen  :D. Important: follow these steps without rebooting your machine! I hope my incident will serve people with similar issue, cause you never know when the lights may go down  ;). Best regards to all.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2010, 03:01:54 PM by raziel »

jabrocuk

Re: Avast! 5.0.462 Free update tip against of unexpected system shutdown
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2010, 12:04:22 PM »
I tried this when I had a similar problem - only it didn't work on my machine - the report says my current version is 100811-2, latest version is 100812-0.  When I update manually, all seems ok, it says "definitions up-to-date" , but the summary shows the same error.  Which is correct?  and is the definition file up-to-date or not?  ???

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2010, 01:15:04 PM »
Edited. Sorry.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2010, 02:41:04 PM by Tech »
The best things in life are free.

jabrocuk

« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2010, 02:36:43 PM »
My apologies, I am not familiar with the "etiquette" - I was not aware that a reply represented "hijacking"

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2010, 02:41:33 PM »
My apologies, I am not familiar with the "etiquette" - I was not aware that a reply represented "hijacking"
Sorry. It was my fault, not yours. I've misread your post.
The best things in life are free.

Offline DavidR

• Avast √úberevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2010, 04:42:27 PM »
I tried this when I had a similar problem - only it didn't work on my machine - the report says my current version is 100811-2, latest version is 100812-0.  When I update manually, all seems ok, it says "definitions up-to-date" , but the summary shows the same error.  Which is correct?  and is the definition file up-to-date or not?  ???

Try a repair of avast. Add Remove programs, select 'avast! Anti-Virus,' click the Change/Remove button and scroll down to Repair, click next and follow. Reboot.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.6.6121 (build 24.6.9241.848) UI 1.0.809/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security