Author Topic: Geolocation > No Geolocation  (Read 50707 times)

YoKenny

Re: Geolocation > No Geolocation
« Reply #75 on: September 07, 2010, 09:05:32 PM »
@ polonus

Not every one wants to use
Use NoScript, a limited user account and a virtual machine and be safe(r)!
Not everyone is a Lemming like you want to us believe.

If you want to quote the Bible then there are many quotes that can apply
God Is Our Strength - Not Trusting In Our Own Strength
Exodus 15:2

The LORD is my strength and my song; he has become my salvation. He is my God, and I will praise him, my father's God, and I will exalt him.

Deuteronomy 4:37
Because he loved your forefathers and chose their descendants after them, he brought you out of Egypt by his Presence and his great strength,

Deuteronomy 6:5
Love the LORD your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength.

Deuteronomy 11:8
Observe therefore all the commands I am giving you today, so that you may have the strength to go in and take over the land that you are crossing the Jordan to possess,
http://encouragingbiblequotes.com/versesstrengtha.html

Offline polonus

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • malware fighter
« Reply #76 on: September 07, 2010, 10:01:05 PM »
Hi YoKenny,

I have no reference to the beliefs of lemmings, I am a human being, furthermore I have never felt the urge of lemmings. If this is a humorous remark I say I cannot share your sense of humor, if you put this comment here in earnest I better fail to comment,

polonus
Cybersecurity is more of an attitude than anything else. Avast Evangelists.

fredvries

« Reply #77 on: September 08, 2010, 05:32:28 PM »
Update of my list of programs/phones that use geolocation.

Added:
• Disabling of geolocation/GPS for HTC Aria (AT&T)/Evo (Sprint).

See here

Offline polonus

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • malware fighter
« Reply #78 on: September 08, 2010, 11:25:05 PM »
Hi malware fighters,

Thanks to fredvries here for all the effort and expertise he has put in this here thread. There are a couple of things I like to explain to those that maybe did not completely have grasped what I tried to communicate in my previous observations concerning these issues. I have no objections against the geo-location service and technology as such. As all other things in the world it can be used towards good beneficial purposes and may have unwanted side-effects as well. I do not want to comment that. What I want to say is that we have to see where it might lead us all. I like services and applications that always have an opt-out, where there is always the possibility to disable it.
And this is just around the corner as is explained with Instant Automatic Search based on Physical Location:
http://www.readwriteweb.com/archives/google_ceo_next_great_stage_of_search_is_automatic.php

Just like with questionnaires on the phone, you can enlist somewhere if you do not want to be bothered in this way and no further like to receive these kind of calls. Silence will reign. Even worse are the scenario's where there is a free service and everybody is being brought on board through mentioning benefits and a lot of propaganda and later alternatives are no longer available and slowly but surely they are going to charge you for the service or alter the terms and conditions.
As fredvries has been so kindly showing us there are a lot of escapes from the technology and ways to opt out, but for the unaware that route isn't all that clear. Some know how to protect their anonymity whenever they need to, others like youngsters on Web 2.0 have to change their names to not longer be bothered by their Internet past to hunt them forever. So what I said is only, be aware, weigh all the arguments for yourself pro and contra and then make up your decision. Do not follow blindly, be aware you have free will. Nothing more and nothing less.
Sometimes there are no alternatives like with cashless banking, when the paperwork goes, new hey days for the phisher and the malcreant. So fredvries, thank you for starting the subject enabling all of us to discuss all the ramifications of the implementation of this technology in depth, I think here specifically of combinations of geo-location with tracking technology like fetchback tracking etc. etc.

polonus

« Last Edit: September 09, 2010, 12:31:10 AM by polonus »

Offline polonus

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • malware fighter
« Reply #79 on: September 11, 2010, 11:05:45 PM »
Hi forum users,

Another implication of Google's geo-location will concern content access: Of course, many countries (like the US) elected to extend their periods of copyright protection mandated in the Berne Convention. This means that while some nations adhere to the Convention’s minimum standards, there are wild variations in other places. For example, the song “Happy Birthday to You” is ostensibly copyrighted until 2030 in the United States (although that is a point of contention for some), but only until 2016 in the European Union.

This means that while the books Google’s scanning could be public domain in the country they are scanned in, they might not be public domain in the nation that the website is viewed in. By using location-based blocks, which won’t allow access to content in places where it is trademarked, Google can neatly sidestep any copyright infringement lawsuits. They also plan to provide links to purchase the content for viewers who are blocked.

While Google may be on the side of good against insane copyright extensions (95 years for music!), they surely don’t want to continue waging legal battles around the world. This makes it easy for Google to keep pace with the world’s rapidly shifting copyright laws. What the situation will be for the ACTA countries is to be seen. I think a lot of browser users do not know that the clamps are coming down unless you will find the right gates to search, re: http://www.oreillynet.com/pub/h/4807

polonus
« Last Edit: September 11, 2010, 11:11:30 PM by polonus »

fredvries

« Reply #80 on: September 19, 2010, 03:04:38 PM »
Update of my list of programs/phones that use geolocation.

Added:
• Disabling of geolocation/GPS for Pale Moon.

See here

Hermite15

« Reply #81 on: September 29, 2010, 01:00:07 AM »
Hi forum users,

Another implication of Google's geo-location will concern content access: Of course, many countries (like the US) elected to extend their periods of copyright protection mandated in the Berne Convention. This means that while some nations adhere to the Convention’s minimum standards, there are wild variations in other places. For example, the song “Happy Birthday to You” is ostensibly copyrighted until 2030 in the United States (although that is a point of contention for some), but only until 2016 in the European Union.

This means that while the books Google’s scanning could be public domain in the country they are scanned in, they might not be public domain in the nation that the website is viewed in. By using location-based blocks, which won’t allow access to content in places where it is trademarked, Google can neatly sidestep any copyright infringement lawsuits. They also plan to provide links to purchase the content for viewers who are blocked.

While Google may be on the side of good against insane copyright extensions (95 years for music!), they surely don’t want to continue waging legal battles around the world. This makes it easy for Google to keep pace with the world’s rapidly shifting copyright laws. What the situation will be for the ACTA countries is to be seen. I think a lot of browser users do not know that the clamps are coming down unless you will find the right gates to search, re: http://www.oreillynet.com/pub/h/4807

polonus

content stolen from here:
http://thenextweb.com/us/2010/02/17/google-locationbased-content-filter-patent/

(edit: if needed...the link given in reference in the quoted post has little or nothing to do with the content of what was copied and pasted from another web site >>> link I gave)
« Last Edit: September 29, 2010, 01:17:03 AM by Logos »

Offline Marc57

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • KISS Rules The World!!!
    • KISS Army
« Reply #82 on: September 29, 2010, 08:11:06 PM »
Thanks polonus and fredvries.
You Wanted the Best You Got the Best the Hottest Band in the World KISS!!!

fredvries

« Reply #83 on: October 09, 2010, 12:10:23 PM »
[08oct10] Update of my list of programs/phones that use geolocation.

Added:
• Disabling of geotagging of photos for Apple iPhone.

fredvries

« Reply #84 on: March 04, 2011, 11:26:46 AM »
[04mar11] Update of my list of programs/phones that use geolocation.

- Added disabling of geotagging of pictures taken by Blackberry.

The list can be found here.

fredvries

« Reply #85 on: April 06, 2011, 07:07:55 PM »
[06apr11] Update of my list of programs/phones that use geolocation.

- Added disabling of geolocation for LG Phones.

The list can be found here.

fredvries

« Reply #86 on: April 13, 2011, 03:23:14 PM »
[13apr11] Update of my list of programs/phones that use geolocation. Visit the list here.

- Added disabling of geolocation for Linux versions of Mozilla Firefox and Mozilla Thunderbird

disPlay

« Reply #87 on: April 13, 2011, 03:29:22 PM »
Thanks for the list Fred.

fredvries

« Reply #88 on: April 28, 2011, 07:51:26 PM »
As I am facing a ban for posting non-avast topics I will stop updating this topic.

Sorry about that.

Offline bob3160

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • 64 Years of Happiness
    • bob3160 Protecting Yourself, Your Computer and, Your Identity
« Reply #89 on: April 28, 2011, 08:37:45 PM »
As I am facing a ban for posting non-avast topics I will stop updating this topic.

Sorry about that.

???   ???   ???
Free Security Seminar: https://bit.ly/bobg2023  -  Important: http://www.organdonor.gov/ -- My Web Site: http://bob3160.strikingly.com/ - Win 11 Pro v22H2 64bit, 16 Gig Ram, 1TB SSD, Avast Free 23.5.6066, How to Successfully Install Avast http://goo.gl/VLXdeRepair & Clean Install https://goo.gl/t7aJGq -- My Online Activity https://bit.ly/BobGInternet