Author Topic: WEB Shield Running Blocks Browsers  (Read 7092 times)

tx_pierce

WEB Shield Running Blocks Browsers
« on: August 12, 2010, 04:40:35 PM »
Within the past two days(11-12 AUG), Avast! has began blocking web access utilizing both of my browsers(Firefox & Explorer) with WEB SHIELD started.  With all other settings running except WEB SHIELD, I can access the internet.
avast! help does not address this issue as far as I can tell.  Ideas anyone?

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: WEB Shield Running Blocks Browsers
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2010, 04:50:39 PM »
You are missing an essential part of the information - What avast version are you using 4.8 or 5.0 ?

This sounds more like firewall blocking avast than the web shield blocking internet access, but I can't give more information on what to check without the avast version you are using ?

What is your firewall ?
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

DaveL

« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2010, 01:41:47 PM »
Hi
I've just started using the free antivirus version 5.0.594 and have the same problem.
I'm using XP SP3 with the Windows firewall, but Avast is on the 'exceptions' list for the Firewall so it shouldn't be blocked.
Opera IE and Crome are all blocked but work if the Web shield is turned off.
Many thanks
Dave

PS found the thread about registry environments and checked TEMP and TMP - everything seems to be in order there. http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=57443.0
« Last Edit: August 15, 2010, 02:04:54 PM by DaveL »

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2010, 02:37:01 PM »
Well the XP firewall has zero outbound checking, adding avast to the exclusions will make no difference, so there is something else in the mix.

Have (or did) you another Anti-Virus installed in this system, if so what was it and how did you get rid of it ?
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

DaveL

« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2010, 06:21:11 PM »
Well the XP firewall has zero outbound checking, adding avast to the exclusions will make no difference, so there is something else in the mix.

Have (or did) you another Anti-Virus installed in this system, if so what was it and how did you get rid of it ?
I was running Webroot and used it's own 'uninstall'
Dave

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2010, 07:00:21 PM »
I thought webroot just did anti-spyware ?
Or did it also have an AV element and did that have a web browsing monitor similar to avast's web shield ?

DaveL

« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2010, 12:40:45 AM »
It was antivirus anti-spyware and firewall but I don't think it had a web shield like this.
To be honest I only tend to notice the details when they go wrong.
It did have something it called identity protection and an anti-phishing utility - would they fit the bill?
Cheers
Dave

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2010, 01:51:44 AM »
Well anti-phishing may come into it as that is checking the legitimacy of the site and presumably before you actually arrive at it. I don't know how they achieve that if it is anything like avast's web shield using a proxy to be able to filter http port 80 traffic.

Check these sites and see if there is a removal tool for webroot to ensure any remnants are gone.
Also see http://www.askvg.com/ultimate-collection-of-uninstallers-removal-tools-for-all-popular-anti-virus-software/ for others not listed above.
and http://uninstallers.blogspot.com/

Or check the webroot web site and see if they have a specific uninstall/removal tool.

DaveL

« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2010, 05:17:42 PM »
Hi webroot recommend the one on the askvg site.
Tried it but couldn't find anything to remove, and I've trawled the c drive and registry for anything that might be webroot related with no success.
Things run fine if I turn the web shield off.
How much risk am I taking if I just do that?
cheers
Dave

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2010, 05:46:27 PM »
You are at a risk, as the web shield is providing a function to block before malware gets on to your system by pre-scanning http port 80 traffic, whilst the file system shield should provide another line of defence, it may not prevent something that the web shield would.

Most commonly this is hacked web sites that redirect or try to run malicious scripts from another site. Since there is no indication what this redirection may do or what that malicious script might be (the web shield can block that attempt) and it could be that there is a piece of malware that would not be detected and that is the risk.

To alleviate that risk using a different browser and pro-active measures, something like firefox and the NoScript add-on, which greatly reduces the risk if you happen upon a hacked site. But it is always best to try and get the web shield working.

Do you use a Proxy to connect to the internet ?

- also see Cause for apparent Web Shield blocking internet connection, http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=57443.0.

DaveL

« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2010, 11:52:44 PM »
Tried looking at the TEMP TMP fix earlier but everything was in order.
I don't use a proxy to connect.
Dave

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2010, 12:17:11 AM »
Try a repair of avast. Add Remove programs, select 'avast! Anti-Virus,' click the Change/Remove button and scroll down to Repair, click next and follow, reboot.

If that doesn't work and I'm not to hopeful, all I can suggest you try is a clean reinstall:
- Download the latest version of avast, 5.0.594 http://files.avast.com/iavs5x/setup_av_free.exe and save it to your HDD, somewhere you can find it again (if you didn't save your last download). Use that when you reinstall.

- Download the avast! Uninstall Utility, aswClear5.exe find it here and save it to your HDD (it has uninstall tools for both 4.8 and 5.0).
  • 1. Now uninstall (using add remove programs, if you can't do that start from the next step), reboot.
  • 2. run the avast! Uninstall Utility from safe mode, first for 4.8 if previously installed and then for 5.0, once complete reboot into normal mode.
  • 3. install the latest version, reboot.

DaveL

« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2010, 01:59:38 PM »
Nope
did a full uninstall of Avast and reboot, a full download of webroot, uninstall and reboot and then re-installed Avast.
still same problem.
No internet access with the web shield on, no problems with it off.
I liked Avast, but to be honest this is taking up too much time that I don't have to spare.
I think I'll just cut my losses and move on.
Many thanks for the help and advice.
Which other antivirus would you recommend?
Cheers
Dave