Author Topic: TrustedInstaller.exe got eaten by AVAST 5  (Read 4044 times)

Black Mamba

TrustedInstaller.exe got eaten by AVAST 5
« on: August 14, 2010, 05:28:41 PM »
I got today's updates and ran a full scan. Came up with the Trusted Installer.exe as a rootkit. Hit the X on the top right of the window and it still deleted everything.  >:(

I have Windows 7 64-bit. Anyone have an idea short of doing a complete re-install of the OS? Never had an issue with this until today.

Thanks

stukindaguy

Re: TrustedInstaller.exe got eaten by AVAST 5
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2010, 07:49:30 PM »
I have had no issue with TrustedInstaller myself. Are you certain it was the legitimate copy of the file and not a virus using the same file name? Because as far as I know, if that file is actually gone you should receive at least a couple errors on boot or when running Windows Update. If it was a false positive and you can still boot into Windows you can try the System File Checker by opening an elevated command prompt and typing "sfc /scannow" without the quotes. If that does not work you can do a repair install of Windows 7 keeping all of your files and programs by running an "Upgrade" install from within Windows 7 itself from the original install disk. You will be required to activate it again so have your serial number handy. Hope that helps.

-Stu

Offline Tarq57

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • If at first you don’t succeed; call it version 1.0
Re: TrustedInstaller.exe got eaten by AVAST 5
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2010, 12:33:23 AM »
Black Mamba, in the other thread you posted to, is a link to another forum topic, here, with a similar - probably identical issue.

There is no definitive answer, a repair install of your OS will hopefully replace the file, and do so without losing your documents/files/pics etc. You would need to get updates afterward.

What the other forum topic contains is instructions including some screenshots, of how to make Avast "ignore" rather than delete the file, if it happens again. After ignoring such a detection, the file/process can be investigated further. In the case of "trusted installer" it certainly seems to be a FP. It would not usually be the case with a rootkit detection.

Hope that helps a bit.
Windows 10,Windows Firewall,Firefox w/Adblock.