Author Topic: No place to put the new reg key in the New Avast 5  (Read 8639 times)

wiseowl24

No place to put the new reg key in the New Avast 5
« on: August 12, 2010, 07:51:15 PM »
I just downloaded the new Avast 5.0.549 yesterday and I got my new registration key thru the email.
Unfortunately the place where the key is supposed to go does not exist on my program.
I tried re-booting my machine. Didn't help.

I am running WinXP home version.

My registration runs out on Sept 1, 2010 if that makes a difference. I sure would like to get this all up and running so I could just get back to my life.

Oh and my G-Mail won't work anymore. It needs a SSL connection and Avast says it can't scan it that way. The old Avast 4 something or other, didn't have a problem. I use my G-mail client so this is a problem.

If I can't get this worked out, I may uninstall the new version and re-install the old one till you guys get the kinks worked out.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: No place to put the new reg key in the New Avast 5
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2010, 10:46:10 PM »
I just downloaded the new Avast 5.0.549 yesterday and I got my new registration key thru the email.
Unfortunately the place where the key is supposed to go does not exist on my program.
I tried re-booting my machine. Didn't help.
Inserting the license key into: avast! Free Antivirus, avast! Pro Antivirus and avast! Internet Security.

Oh and my G-Mail won't work anymore. It needs a SSL connection and Avast says it can't scan it that way. The old Avast 4 something or other, didn't have a problem. I use my G-mail client so this is a problem.
GMail is scanned by my Oulook plugin without problems...
The best things in life are free.

wiseowl24

« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2010, 03:34:00 AM »
I followed the directions you gave the link to. The interface is missing the box where you put the license key.

I use Incredimail as my mail client. Not Outlook which is full of bugs. I detest most of Microsoft's stuff but use xp. Why, I don't know so don't ask.

Back to the question. How do I insert the license key if there is no where to paste it to?

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2010, 03:38:09 AM »
Back to the question. How do I insert the license key if there is no where to paste it to?
Click on Maintenance, than Registration for online registering.
1) Open Avast.
2) Click on "Maintenance" then "Registration".
3) Fill out the form for your license key and click "Submit".
The best things in life are free.

wiseowl24

« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2010, 03:54:24 AM »
I just tried that. All I get is a window that wants me to buy the pro version. I tried clicking on the re-register button. Does nothing. Tried the link at the bottom that says I already have my key. That goes no where also.

Any other suggestions?

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2010, 04:17:11 AM »
Since you aren't actually 're-registering' since this is your first installation of avast 5 isn't it ?

So you should be using the Register now, you don't have to upgrade, just register the free version.

Did you have avast 4.8 or any other antivirus installed previously and if so how did you get rid of it and install avast 5 ?

We are actually unable to follow what it is that you are doing as we have registered and are unable to re-register until 14 days before the expiry date. So if you can post an image of what it is that you are doing perhaps we will have an idea of what it is.

If you haven't yet registered your Maintenance, Registration screen should look like this, see image1, does it look like that ?

Or since you have already got a registration key, why not click the Insert the license key button (see image2) or is that what you have done ?
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

wiseowl24

« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2010, 06:10:05 AM »
I un- installed the 4.8. Now I wish I hadn't done that at all.

I just dumped the 5.0 so now I have nothing installed.
I did a restore to day before yesterday but the old version 4.8 is corrupted now...

If someone can give me a link to the download of 4.8, I would be a happy person. I do not like the new one at all. It is hard to use to begin with and I really would like the older version back until you get the new one fixed.

Is there somewhere that I can download the 4.8 again?

As to your pics of the registration page/window/interface, the bottom part was totally missing.
I had the top part where you can register, the middle where you could upgrade and that was it.

Just give me a link to the 4.8. Please?

Offline Coolmario88

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • Bronies make the web go round
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2010, 06:16:22 AM »
if you have internet access i would recommend trying to click Register now! try that
Webbrowser: Mozilla Firefox
PC Specs: Intel i5-12400f, Nvidia RTX 3050, 16gb ram, 1.5TB SSD(s).

Offline Rednose

• Pirate Party Member
  • Avast Überevangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Bits of Freedom : https://www.bof.nl
    • Nederlandstalig Avast! forum
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2010, 06:22:51 AM »
Here a download link for the last 4.8 build, although I don't think it is a real solution for your problem :-\

http://www.filehippo.com/download_avast_antivirus/6635/

Greetz, Red.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2010, 06:26:55 AM by Rednose »
Real Time: Avast Premium Security
On Demand: Malwarebytes
VPN: NordVPN ( NordLynx ) with Threat Protection ( Lite )

SafeSurf

« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2010, 06:43:09 AM »
I think your 5.0 build may have been corrupt. 

What other security software do you have on your machine currently and previously including firewall?

Please try the following for your next uninstall/clean install:
1. Save a copy of newest version of Avast (5.0.594) for the version you need and save it to your HDD:
Freehttp://files.avast.com/iavs5x/setup_av_free.exe
Pro  –  http://files.avast.com/iavs5x/setup_av_pro.exe
AIS  –  http://files.avast.com/iavs5x/setup_ais.exe
2. Download the Avast Uninstall Utility, aswClear5.exe http://www.avast.com/uninstall-utility and save it to your HDD (it has uninstall tools for both 4.0 and 5.0).  You will need to uninstall BOTH versions.
3. Disconnect from the Internet at this time.
4. Uninstall Avast through "Add/Remove Programs" through Control Panel. 
5. Boot into Safe Mode (hit F8 repeatedly) and run the Avast Uninstall Tool.
6. Reboot twice.
7. Clean your computer up (clean up cache, temporary Internet files, etc.).
8. Install the newest version of Avast and reboot.
9. Get Internet access and update Avast definitions.
10. Register your copy or add the license key for Free, Pro or AIS.
11. Reset your settings, if needed.

Please let us know if this helps.

wiseowl24

« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2010, 01:11:14 AM »
SafeSurf, thank you for the help.

I followed your directions (it took well over 6 hours to accomplish with our dialup modem) and got the job done. The program didn't want to update the definitions when I did it manually so I took a rest and it finally did it by itself like it's supposed to do.

Hopefully, this is the end of this saga and I can get on with my meatworld life. My garden and two dogs are calling me...

Must have been the Friday the 13th thing.  ::)

SafeSurf

[RESOLVED] Re: No place to put the new reg key in the New Avast 5
« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2010, 08:52:15 AM »
wiseowl24,

Ah, yes, it was Friday the 13th!  I'm so glad to hear everything worked out fine for you and Avast is running smoothly for you again.   :D

-> Now that your issue is now resolved/fixed, please go back to the open post in this topic, click the modify button in that Post and change the title/subject, add [Resolved] to the beginning of the title so this thread can be closed. 

Please feel free to come back to browse or just for a new experience.  Thank you for letting me assist you.  :)