Author Topic: problems removing Mydoom-M  (Read 4126 times)

giordanoe2

problems removing Mydoom-M
« on: July 30, 2004, 05:57:34 AM »
Hey all,

New to the forums and avast so bear with me.

I'm running avast 4.1 on XP Pro with Outlook 2003 as my email client.

Now, I got an email with the Mydoom attachment. It was flagged, and the dialog popped up askming me what I wanted to do. I tried every option and all failed.

So I delete the file manually. Now, I dl'd avast cause this was the second email I'd gotten with Mydoom attached, and didn't want to take any chances in case someone else used my PC that wasn't smart enough to just delete.

My problem however, is that avast still finds the deleted email and virus somewhere on my HD everytime I run a scan. avast still cannot delete the file, or take any action to it.

Any thoughts?

~Ethan

Offline .: Mac :.

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Ultra Poster
Re:problems removing Mydoom-M
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2004, 09:39:55 AM »
have you tried the avast cleaner?

http://www.avast.com/eng/avast_cleaner.html
"People who are really serious about software should make their own hardware." - Alan Kay

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2004, 07:50:28 PM »
You might try emptying your deleted emails folder and see if that helps.

If I were getting regular viruses in emails I would also look at another line of defense, I would look at a program that checks my email at the mail server (before it is downloaded to your computer) and you can delete suspect emails and spam at server level.

I use mailwasher pro (paid for prog), I'm not sure if they still do a free version (limited to checking one email account), but they have a 30 day free trial period.

Its purpose it to combat spam but it is possible to spot suspicious elails that have attachments, etc. and delete them at source.

There are others.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2004, 07:56:07 PM by DavidR »
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2004, 08:08:32 PM »
If Avast finds it again, select "remove on next boot when needed", that should do it. Since you already have a infected file on your system I suggest you don't take any changes and run a full system scan. Also have a look at the page I have in my signature and follow the steps there. Better safe than sorry  :D

whocares

« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2004, 09:04:05 PM »
select "remove on next boot when needed",

Before any such drastic and possible destructive steps,

please tell us exactly WHERE avast locates the worm:

Where exactly was the infected File found (full path/folder/filename, e.g. like c:\Windows\system32\virusfile.exe) ? ;)
you'll find this info in avast's alert, or its logs/reports, or event-logs of WIN-XP

ronzoil

« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2004, 10:20:19 PM »
you need to start your machine in safe mode,scan for w32.my files   if found delete them

this should take care of the problem
my internet provide just sent out an alert about the virus and that what they told to do to get it out of machine

also if runnign windows xp diable system restore before doing this