Author Topic: Problem with avast! 5 Free's "Scan Now" section, and scan results not logging  (Read 6744 times)

PBNkapamilya

System specs
1. What is your OS, (32 or 64-bit)? - Windows XP SP3 32-bit
2. What version of Avast 5.0 are you running?  - 5.0.594
3. Do you have Avast Free, Pro, or AIS? - Free
4. Do you have any other security related software on your machine currently or previously (Antivirus besides Avast, Firewall, other security software)?  If in the past, how was it removed? - NOD 32 Anti-Virus (uninstalled in Add/Remove Programs and NOD's uninstall tool), Windows Defender (currently installed)

I've just installed avast! 5 Free yesterday on this laptop (since I gave up on AVG Free not installing properly), and it worked out fine, until I've found some problems with it:

1. The buttons on the "Scan Now" interface are not working and don't have labels.

The only way I can scan is through the "Create Custom Scan" option, and even that looks broken. There's no way to see the progress of the scan, and I am only notified of when the scan is finished.

2. Also, when I want to scan a specific drive or folder through "Create Custom Scan," avast! forces it to be a full system scan.

3. The results of the scans doesn't seem to log into the "Scan Logs."

4. Manual Update doesn't seem to work, but Virus Definition can automatically update.

I hope someone can help me with this.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2010, 03:56:24 AM by PBNkapamilya »

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Did you boot after installing avast?
The best things in life are free.

PBNkapamilya

Yes, but only after exploring its user interface.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Tell to the programmers. I've asked a "must have" boot. They say it's not necessary....
So the situation is there when the user does not boot...
The best things in life are free.

PBNkapamilya

Well, I don't think avast requires the PC to be restarted right after installation, since it wasn't asked of me when I installed it. And we're not sure if these problems are caused by not restarting the PC right after installation. I'll just wait for the official recommendations from an avast! employee here, thanks.

Offline Tarq57

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • If at first you don’t succeed; call it version 1.0
Interesting. Avast certainly prompted me to restart on both the machines I've installed it (version 5) on.

While you're waiting for an Avast employee (note, that might take some time. Support for the free product is via the forum. Employees do post to the forum, especially for problems that seem to be bugs, so you might be lucky), there are one or two harmless things you could try.

- I guess it's possible a failed install of AVG may have left some stuff behind. Unlikely, as it probably wouldn't be registered in your Windows, but possible. Try the AVG removal tool, available here, and run it. Reboot. A log will be saved, which should show you if it removed anything.
- Try a repair of Avast. Control panel>add/remove programs>Avast free antivirus>change/remove. The repair option is one that will appear. Click it. Let it do it's thing. Reboot.

Hope this helps.

PS, did you install it using an admin account?
« Last Edit: August 15, 2010, 08:01:30 AM by Tarq57 »
Windows 10,Windows Firewall,Firefox w/Adblock.

SafeSurf

Hello PBNkapamilya and welcome to the forum.  :)

We have assisted many people here with their installs, upgrades, uninstalls, malware, and many other issues.  It has been my experience having XP that after installing Avast that you need to reboot the machine at least once (sometimes twice).  It gets the registries and drivers all settled in and makes for a happy machine.

Once this is done, then open your Avast GUI (the orange ball on the bottom tool bar), and check to see if those missing items are now there.  If not after one boot, then reboot a second time.

If you still have problems, then the AVG removal may have left remnants (left overs), which will cause conflicts with any security software such as Avast.  If you already ran the AVG removal and tried the Avast repair as mentioned by the previous poster and you are still having problems, the next step would be to uninstall and do a clean install of Avast:

1. Save a copy of newest version of Avast (5.0.594) for the version you need and save it to your HDD:
Freehttp://files.avast.com/iavs5x/setup_av_free.exe
2. Download the Avast Uninstall Utility, aswClear5.exe http://www.avast.com/uninstall-utility and save it to your HDD.
3. Disconnect from the Internet at this time.
4. Uninstall Avast through "Add/Remove Programs" through Control Panel if possible. 
5. Boot into Safe Mode (hit F8 repeatedly) and run the Avast Uninstall Tool.
6. Reboot twice.
7. Clean your computer up (clean up cache, temporary Internet files, etc.).
8. Install the newest version of Avast and reboot.
9. Get Internet access and update Avast definitions.
10. Register your copy or add the license key for
      Free - http://www.avast.com/registration-free-antivirus.php.

Please let us know how things work out for you.  We are here 24/7 for assistance.  Thank you.

PBNkapamilya

I did all the things SafeSurf and Tarq57 suggested, but the problems still persist. I wonder what's wrong with this laptop that every anti-virus software I feed it either doesn't install properly or has problems :|

@SafeSurf: Thanks.
@Tarq57: The Administrator account is the only account here.

Offline Tarq57

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • If at first you don’t succeed; call it version 1.0
So you've never been able to install an AV successfully?
How did NOD work when it was installed?
Was anything installed before NOD; did you reboot after removing NOD?
Windows 10,Windows Firewall,Firefox w/Adblock.

SafeSurf

So you've never been able to install an AV successfully?
How did NOD work when it was installed?
Was anything installed before NOD; did you reboot after removing NOD?
Good point.  Often times if you have difficulty installing another antivirus, it is due to leftovers from a previous antivirus or security software.

PBNkapamilya, you may want to check out these links to see if you had any of these software and used their removal tools:

http://uninstallers.blogspot.com/  - NOD is listed as #33.

http://www.askvg.com/ultimate-collection-of-uninstallers-removal-tools-for-all-popular-anti-virus-software/  - NOD is listed as the 5th one down.

You need to reboot after any using any unstallation tool.