Author Topic: License key is license.dat NOT .avastlic and I can't insert it into avast  (Read 28883 times)

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
It should work just fine.
If you do that with dump files and rename them to txt to upload the forum, the file get corrupted.
At least, this is what I've read more than once by the developers, saying that the user should use the ftp server to upload.
The best things in life are free.

Offline scythe944

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
    • My Tech Blog
I think the reason that happens is because of the way that the data is transmitted via ftp.  I guess depending on what type of file it is, the FTP client will automatically choose the (best) way to transfer the file and I think it guesses which method to use depending on the file extension.

You might need to transfer the file using Binary, but since you rename the file to .txt, it might use ASCII instead, thus corrupting the file.

So in a nutshell, it's not the actual renaming of the file that corrupts it, it's the transmission method used during transfer.

I could be way off, but that's how I see it so far.
For generic computer (not avast) problems, you can also visit my forum for help: http://www.jacobytech.net/forum

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
it's not the actual renaming of the file that corrupts it, it's the transmission method used during transfer.
I think you're fully right.
The best things in life are free.

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
Actually, shouldn't happen... the license file should work even if the end-of-lines are changed by a text transfer.

Offline scythe944

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
    • My Tech Blog
Well, either way, I haven't had trouble renaming a license file extension so far.  So, it's all good!
For generic computer (not avast) problems, you can also visit my forum for help: http://www.jacobytech.net/forum