Author Topic: error on manual update for XP limited account  (Read 6105 times)

cro.adnu

error on manual update for XP limited account
« on: August 13, 2010, 06:09:14 AM »
Haroo!

Greetings!

I'm a system administrator in our office and have difficulty in updating avast! 5.0.594 in our staff computers.

Since their computers can't be connected to the internet, my way of updating their avast is through manual update. But when I try to run the downloaded update, the following error occurs:

Can't install VPS update. Please, report the following errorcodes:
Ver: 5.0.594
SI: 0x00000005
ST: 0x00000005
LE: 0x00000000

I think this has something to do with them being a limited user account. Because when I tried to run the update in an admin account, it went well.

I tried searching the forum but the results seemed to not help (one says that I need to get the latest program version but I think I have it). (or I didn't search well)

Each computer has the following specs:
Windows XP professional SP3
Intel Core i3 CPU 2GB RAM

Installed avast:
avast! pro antivirus
subscription status: active

Please help.

Junjie

additional info:

I tried uninstalling avast, then restart PC, then install avast.. without luck.
By the way, the OS is newly installed.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2010, 06:37:58 AM by Junjie »

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
Re: error on manual update for XP limited account
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2010, 10:39:16 AM »
I think this has something to do with them being a limited user account. Because when I tried to run the update in an admin account, it went well.

So run the update with admin rights then, as you are the admin... ;)
asyn
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

cro.adnu

« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2010, 11:58:27 AM »
So run the update with admin rights then, as you are the admin... ;)
asyn

*slaps own face*

Right. -.-

Now, I'm at the wrong forum. I should go elsewhere to know how to automate runas (with admin rights, of course, with the password) so that I can make a schedule to run the update because avast! does not provide an update-from-a-directory feature.

Thanks much.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2010, 04:04:46 PM »
When you say "Since their computers can't be connected to the internet, my way of updating their avast is through manual update."

Presumably since they don't have internet connections, you are downloading the complete virus definitions file from http://www.avast.com/download-update and trying to install it on their systems ?

If so you are most likely bumping into the avast self-defence module, hence the file system error error 5 Access is denied.

So to do that you would have to disable the avast self defence module and re-enable it once complete. I don't believe there is a way to do that using a batch file/script.

As the System Administrator, I don't know how large your network is, but I would have thought that the ADNM would prove a better option as that would manage the other systems and they can be set to get their updates from a mirror, a system that has internet access that you download the updates to.

Sorry I can't be more helpful on the ADNM process as I don't use this application, you could check it out here, http://www.avast.com/en-gb/distributed-network-manager
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

cro.adnu

« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2010, 09:17:36 AM »
Presumably since they don't have internet connections, you are downloading the complete virus definitions file from http://www.avast.com/download-update and trying to install it on their systems ?
Precisely. :]

...you are most likely bumping into the avast self-defence module, hence the file system error error 5 Access is denied. So to do that you would have to disable the avast self defence module and re-enable it once complete. I don't believe there is a way to do that using a batch file/script.
I don't know if that really is the meaning of the error I presented above. But as what asyn had said, I just have to run the update with admin rights. Using runas /env /user:Admin vpsupd.exe, I was able to run the update in the limited account successfully. But runas asks for a password interactively, so I looked for an alternative in the Internet and use it in my script. Worked fine.

As the System Administrator, I don't know how large your network is, but I would have thought that the ADNM would prove a better option...
Thanks for the link, and I have read a bit about ADNM. I only administer about 12 computers.. so I don't think we need a dedicated server for updating our PCs.

Thanks for the reply.

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2010, 01:51:08 PM »
Thanks much.

You're welcome..!
asyn
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2010, 03:43:58 PM »
Precisely. :]

Glad that you have it resolved now though.

As the System Administrator, I don't know how large your network is, but I would have thought that the ADNM would prove a better option...
Thanks for the link, and I have read a bit about ADNM. I only administer about 12 computers.. so I don't think we need a dedicated server for updating our PCs.

Thanks for the reply.

You're welcome.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security