Author Topic: Avast & Avira  (Read 30037 times)

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: Avast & Avira
« Reply #30 on: August 20, 2010, 03:42:32 PM »
What is a "Cloud Anti Virus"??
Google it... ;)
The best things in life are free.

dogdog

« Reply #31 on: August 20, 2010, 03:49:45 PM »
What is a "Cloud Anti Virus"??
Google it... ;)

I tried but couldn't find much in terms of generic information. I will look some more!! :) :)

ClamAV's web site claims that ClamAV is compatible with other anti virus software (including Avast, Avira and others) - see:
http://www.clamav.net/about/win32/

PS for Tech: As a separate matter - I see that you use Comodo Time Machine and TrueCrypt. I have seen posts that suggest compatibility problems with these two products. What is your experience?? Are you using TrueCrypt just for volumes or are you encrypting partitions??

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #32 on: August 20, 2010, 04:03:27 PM »
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antivirus_software#Cloud_antivirus

PS for Tech: As a separate matter - I see that you use Comodo Time Machine and TrueCrypt. I have seen posts that suggest compatibility problems with these two products. What is your experience?? Are you using TrueCrypt just for volumes or are you encrypting partitions??
Yes, they are incompatible. I have three experiences:
1) Using TrueCrypt to encrypt partitions and protect them with CTM. It's very dangerous. I lost nothing at that time. But NOT recommended.
2) Using TrueCrypt to encrypt partitions and do NOT protect them with CTM. It worked, but you could face problems of incompatibility drivers.
3) I'm using a very stable configuration now: Portable TrueCrypt (what means CTM driver loads first and at the bottom level) and CTM. A schedule task to run at admin mode starts the TrueCrypt driver without UAC for me.

dogdog

« Reply #33 on: August 20, 2010, 04:17:56 PM »
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antivirus_software#Cloud_antivirus

Yes, they are incompatible. I have three experiences:
1) Using TrueCrypt to encrypt partitions and protect them with CTM. It's very dangerous. I lost nothing at that time. But NOT recommended.
2) Using TrueCrypt to encrypt partitions and do NOT protect them with CTM. It worked, but you could face problems of incompatibility drivers.
3) I'm using a very stable configuration now: Portable TrueCrypt (what means CTM driver loads first and at the bottom level) and CTM. A schedule task to run at admin mode starts the TrueCrypt driver without UAC for me.

What about CTM and TrueCrypt volumes??

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #34 on: August 20, 2010, 04:36:07 PM »
What about CTM and TrueCrypt volumes??
In my perspective, it shouldn't be a problem. A TrueCrypt volume (file) is like any other in the disk. CTM does not see any file or folder, but disk sectors. The problem, again, could arise at driver level. If you use TrueCrypt portable, I see no reason for incompatibilities and, indeed, I find none in my personal experience.

dogdog

« Reply #35 on: August 20, 2010, 05:47:52 PM »
I have taken on board the comments regarding not having 2 AV's. Given the weight of opinion I would be stupid not to take heed. Hence only one AV for me!!!! :) :)

However, if I have understood correctly it is OK to have an anti-spyware running alongside my AV?? But can I activate the Real Time scanning of the anti-spyware (available on the free version of SuperAntiSpyware, but perhaps not on the free version of Malwarebytes)??

Generally the best rated anti-spyware seems to be Malwarebytes or SuperAntiSpyware - which is better/any other views??

Finally - can I have ThreatFire running alongside my AV??

Many thanks. :) :)
« Last Edit: August 20, 2010, 05:59:23 PM by dogdog »

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #36 on: August 20, 2010, 06:20:49 PM »
You can have the resident protection of an anti-spyware and a resident AV, they work slightly differently, but the same holds true of not having two resident anti-spyware applications only one must be resident.

Better/best is dependant on your requirements, as SAS/MBAM both have some functions that are unique to each.

Yes you can run threatfire, but the main thing to consider is, who is running the system you or the security applications, after a while it is you that becomes the slave to them.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

dogdog

« Reply #37 on: August 20, 2010, 06:35:23 PM »
Avast is anti virus and anti spyware. Therefore with Avast installed do I already have a resident anti spyware and so cannot also have additional resident anti spyware software such as SuperAntiSpyware??

PS: I noticed that you (DavidR) have Malwarebytes installed aongside your Avast software - is that correct?? I think that Malwarebytes (free) is on-demand but not resident??
« Last Edit: August 20, 2010, 06:37:45 PM by dogdog »

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
« Reply #38 on: August 20, 2010, 06:58:43 PM »
I think that Malwarebytes (free) is on-demand but not resident??
yes and if you have to choose one resident i would go for MBAM PRO bc of the IP block....

OBS: later this year there will be SAS 5.0  you may find some info in SAS forum

dogdog

« Reply #39 on: August 20, 2010, 07:09:01 PM »
But what about:

Avast is anti virus and anti spyware. Therefore with Avast installed do I already have a resident anti spyware and so cannot also have additional resident anti spyware software such as SuperAntiSpyware??

Thanks. :) :)

PS: I only want freeware MBAM Pro has to be purchased??

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #40 on: August 20, 2010, 07:13:22 PM »
Yes, you can. But, the question is, does it worth?

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
« Reply #41 on: August 20, 2010, 07:39:47 PM »
yes but it is a one time fee for a lifetime license. SAS also have that

and SAS and MBAM do the same thing. Malwarebytes / Superantispyware
http://www.google.no/search?hl=no&&sa=X&ei=erxuTKznKcb5OYipoZ8O&ved=0CBQQvwUoAQ&q=what+is+the+difference+between+malware+and+spyware&spell=1

YoKenny

« Reply #42 on: August 20, 2010, 11:03:38 PM »
yes but it is a one time fee for a lifetime license. SAS also have that

and SAS and MBAM do the same thing. Malwarebytes / Superantispyware
http://www.google.no/search?hl=no&&sa=X&ei=erxuTKznKcb5OYipoZ8O&ved=0CBQQvwUoAQ&q=what+is+the+difference+between+malware+and+spyware&spell=1
I would purchase MBAM before SUPERAntiVirus as it is much lighter on system resorces.

rdmaloyjr

« Reply #43 on: August 20, 2010, 11:09:28 PM »
dogdog,

If you want to use two av's, use:

http://www.clamav.net/about/win32/

or

http://www.immunet.com/main/index.html

or

http://www.cloudantivirus.com/en/

with avast! or Avira or ZASS or any other av. ;D

While these cloud av's that I gave you links to are

safe to run beside conventional av's, the question

is what happens if both detect something malicious

at the same time ???
« Last Edit: August 21, 2010, 04:24:25 AM by rdmaloyjr »

dogdog

« Reply #44 on: August 23, 2010, 04:55:53 PM »
I have just discovered that you can install Avira without the real time scanning module ("Guard"). You can then disable the System Tray icon from starting at PC boot up. Then Avira is installed but there are no Avira files running unless the user explicitly starts them to do an on demand scan.

Given this, would the views change regarding installing Avira (as above) to have as an on demand scanner with Avast also installed as the main anti-virus/anti-spyware protection. Avast would provide the real time protection??

If Avira is installed in this way I would have thought that Avira would not install the low level drivers that DavidR was concerned about??

Any views.