Author Topic: Avast & Avira  (Read 29883 times)

dogdog

Avast & Avira
« on: August 17, 2010, 07:07:23 PM »
I want to use both Avast and Avira!!! No offense intended. They both seem to be good software with similar reputations.

Does anyone have any experience of this where they could advise??

Presumably I should only have one on access scanner?? I was going to use Avira because it is easier to switch off the on access scanner in Avast.

Are there problems with keeping other Avast real time shields in place??

Many thanks for your help. :) :)
« Last Edit: August 17, 2010, 07:27:22 PM by dogdog »

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
Re: Avast & Avira
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2010, 07:11:53 PM »
running 2 AV on the same computer can create all kind of mysterious windows errors and false detections

why you should never run more than one AV ( see reply from quietman7 )
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/index.php?s=49db784baecf17e7b189c833aafb624d&showtopic=260844&view=findpost&p=1441638

Clash Of The Antivirus Apps
http://www.smartcomputing.com/editorial/article.asp?article=articles/2003/s1407/38s07/38s07.asp

dogdog

« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2010, 07:33:44 PM »
running 2 AV on the same computer can create all kind of mysterious windows errors and false detections

why you should never run more than one AV ( see reply from quietman7 )
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/index.php?s=49db784baecf17e7b189c833aafb624d&showtopic=260844&view=findpost&p=1441638

Clash Of The Antivirus Apps
http://www.smartcomputing.com/editorial/article.asp?article=articles/2003/s1407/38s07/38s07.asp

Surely it is the real time scanners that can/might clash and cause a problem??

If I have them both installed but only one is running its real time scanner/shield and I use the other only for on demand scans that cannot be a problem??

What do you think.

Thanks for your help. :) :)

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2010, 07:36:57 PM »
If I have them both installed but only one is running its real time scanner/shield and I use the other only for on demand scans that cannot be a problem??
it is answered in the first link......

here is a way to do it  http://www.surfright.nl/en

Hitman Pro 3 - Second Opinion Malware Scanner http://www.surfright.nl/en/hitmanpro
« Last Edit: August 17, 2010, 07:42:03 PM by Pondus »

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2010, 07:47:25 PM »
@ dogdog
It is the low level drivers that hook files so that they can scan the file in the first place. These are still running even if you disable the scanners.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

dogdog

« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2010, 11:26:39 PM »
Looking at Process Explorer it would seem that the two running Avast processes are:

1) AvastUI.exe
2) AvastSvc.exe

Are there any others??

I presume that Avast UI.exe is the Avast User Interface??
And AvastSvc.exe is the sefvice that contains the module for the Real Time Shield and the Scanner??

I can stop AvastUI.exe starting on PC start up via msconfig.

Is there a way to stop AvastSvc.exe starting as PC starts up??

The objective is to have Avast installed but no Avast processes starting automatically with the PC start up. The Avast processes would only start if the user manually starts them. Is there a way to achieve this objective??

If I go to Control Center -> Uninstall or change a program and then start the uninstall process for Avast, one of the options is "Change".
I haven't yet explored all the options as I did not want to damage the Avast installation. Could someone advise what is possible via this route?? What happens if I remove the ticks fom all the boxes under Shields and proceed to "change"?? Are there other options presented later??

When installing Avast there is a Custom Option. What alternatives does this offer. Can I install the Avast Scanner but not the Avast Shields?? If this is possible and only the Scanner is installed would there be any Avast service started with the PC start up??

Many thanks for any help that you can give me. :) :)

« Last Edit: August 17, 2010, 11:31:47 PM by dogdog »

YoKenny

« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2010, 11:44:01 PM »
@  dogdog

Please read:
Why can't I use msconfig to change my services?
http://www.blackviper.com/AskBV/XP25.htm

I would follow DavidR and Pondus' advice as they know avast! in and out.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2010, 11:47:25 PM by YoKenny »

dogdog

« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2010, 11:51:05 PM »
@  dogdog

Please read:
Why can't I use msconfig to change my services?
http://www.blackviper.com/AskBV/XP25.htm

I would follow DavidR and Pondus' advice as they know avast! in and out.

I like to try things - a learning experience!!!

So any answers to previous post would be gratefully received. :) :)

PS: Currently on my PC I have an AV (including real time scanner). I also have installed on my PC: SpybotSD, Norton (free via Google Pack), SuperAntispyware and Spyware Doctor. None of the 4 start on PC startup; I only start them when I want to use them to perform an on demand scan. I have never had any problems with interactions between these 4 programs and my main AV.

My current main AV is from Zone Alarm Security Suite which uses Kapersky as the anti-vitus/anti-spyware engine.

I am in the process of replacing ZASS with Comodo Firewall + Avast/Avira.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2010, 12:01:42 AM by dogdog »

YoKenny

« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2010, 11:54:45 PM »
As you like to learn thing then stick around. :)

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2010, 12:01:14 AM »
Those are Processes/Services and aren't the low level drivers which are loaded by avast and aren't user configurable. That is the whole point of resident on-access scanners.

In order to scan a file it has to hook/intercept the call to run it so that it can be scanned before it is run and that is what the low level drivers do. Yo are throwing a bone into the dog kennel and two dogs are going to fight for control.

At best this just causes duplication of scanning an increased CPU and RAM use, at worst the drivers could conflict causing a lock up at. This is a pain as it would require a reboot to resolve the lock up, just imaging if this actually happens during boot, you could be locked out of your system until you manage to uninstall one or other AV from safe mode (if you are able to get into safe mode).
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

dogdog

« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2010, 12:06:25 AM »
Those are Processes/Services and aren't the low level drivers which are loaded by avast and aren't user configurable. That is the whole point of resident on-access scanners.

In order to scan a file it has to hook/intercept the call to run it so that it can be scanned before it is run and that is what the low level drivers do. Yo are throwing a bone into the dog kennel and two dogs are going to fight for control.

At best this just causes duplication of scanning an increased CPU and RAM use, at worst the drivers could conflict causing a lock up at. This is a pain as it would require a reboot to resolve the lock up, just imaging if this actually happens during boot, you could be locked out of your system until you manage to uninstall one or other AV from safe mode (if you are able to get into safe mode).

What about:

Currently on my PC I have an AV (including real time scanner). I also have installed on my PC: SpybotSD, Norton (free via Google Pack), SuperAntispyware and Spyware Doctor. None of the 4 start on PC startup; I only start them when I want to use them to perform an on demand scan. I have never had any problems with interactions between these 4 programs and my main AV.

Why are these different??

I notice that you are using SuperAntiSpyware with Avast??

How can there be interference between 2 AV's if one of the AV's has no real time scanning and is only used for on demand scans??

Surely the hooks/intercepts are only triggered by the real time scanners??

I am grateful for the help. :) :)
« Last Edit: August 18, 2010, 12:12:50 AM by dogdog »

YoKenny

« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2010, 12:14:51 AM »
Grasshopper there is so much to learn about ;)

SpyBot S&D has become obsolete as it has not kept up with the times and Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware (MBAM) has surpassed it!
« Last Edit: August 18, 2010, 12:17:28 AM by YoKenny »

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2010, 12:15:07 AM »
Because anti-spyware applications operate differently and most of them don't have proactive/resident protection unless you paid for the pro versions.

I somehow doubt the the AVs aren't running on boot if they are designed to be resident the low level drivers will be loaded early even if you have resident protection disabled.

Norton I probably the worst AV I have come across for leaving remnants behind, which conflicts heavily with whatever you install next, these forums are littered with such topics.

Just because you haven't had any problem doesn't mean it won't bite you in the ass at a point/time of it's choosing. If that happens at boot as I said you could be locked out of windows normal mode.

rdmaloyjr

« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2010, 04:47:11 AM »
dogdog,

If you want to use two av's, use:

http://www.clamav.net/about/win32/

or

http://www.immunet.com/main/index.html

or

http://www.cloudantivirus.com/en/

with avast! or Avira or ZASS or any other av. ;D

zfactor

« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2010, 04:56:03 AM »
agreed with everyone. if you are using all that at once you are simply asking for trouble.. EVEN if running on demand. as many stated they will run low level drivers NO MATTER if you disable them resident wise or not. and YOU CAN NOT DISABLE THOSE just by turning off the procc's you mentioned above. pick one and run it NOT 2 or 4 of them. you will end up with worse results doing that then if just running one good one at one time.

if you want multiple engines like that get your self hitman pro, otherwise there are a few others that have dual engines as mentioned above add gdata to that list as well and there are even others..