Author Topic: Avast 5 blocking one of my email accounts  (Read 9168 times)

greenbergman

Avast 5 blocking one of my email accounts
« on: August 17, 2010, 07:48:24 PM »
As prompted yesterday, I just upgraded to Avast free v5. I access several email accounts through Eudora (v6) but one of them now can't connect so long as MailShield is on. Emails through private domain boxes and through TimeWarner (my ISP) are OK, but when Eudora attempts to connect to my University (faculty) account, I get an error message "Error reading from network. Cause: Connection closed by foreign host." (Initially, there was a different error "SSL Negotiation Failed: Certificate bad: Destination Host name does not match host name in certificate. But ignoring this error because Certificate is trusted.")

Anyone know what the remedy is?

Thanks

greenbergman

Re: Avast 5 blocking one of my email accounts
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2010, 08:31:24 PM »
Update: I'd temporarily turned of MailShield (which clued me in that Avast was the problem). But now that it is back on, email is working fine. The problem seems to have disappeared.

Wish I knew why, but I'll settle for the problem just going away.

LaurieO

« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2010, 12:36:40 AM »
Hi,

I had the same problem (see my thread earlier), and like you it seemed to resolve itself after a while for no apparent reason.

I was going to try a different solution to the one I described earlier, so reset the settings to how they were and it worked fine, so I'm thinking glitch - glad it's gone - leave alone! :)
Best wishes
Laurie

greenbergman

« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2010, 10:41:54 PM »
Well, I wrote too soon. After a reboot, that account is back to not connecting until I turn off MailShield. And now, when I try turning MailShield off and then back on again, that email account returns to not connecting. No idea why it worked yesterday.

Is it an SSL problem? (Not that I really know what that means.)

greenbergman

« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2010, 11:07:56 PM »
A (hopefully) final update. In case anyone else comes across a similar problem -- it was solved by the tech people at the account that was being blocked. In Settings/SSL Accounts there was a numeric address (149.xx....) that we changed to pop.universityname.edu. Solved the problem.

greenbergman

« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2010, 04:46:15 AM »
I have to take back the previous post. After the newest Avast 5 upgrade, I'm again having the same problem onlyh it's blocking multiple accounts.  Have tried turning all instances of "Secure Sockets when Sending" and "Secure Sockets when Receiving" in Eudora to "never." Didn't work. And tried turning off Encryption on Avast Mail Shield Settings to "none." No luck there either.

So far the only "solution" is turning off mail shield.

SafeSurf

« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2010, 10:09:40 AM »
Hi greenbergman and welcome to the forum.  :)

See if this help you http://support.avast.com/index.php?_m=knowledgebase&_a=viewarticle&kbarticleid=458.  You may have to click on the gifs/pics to enlarge.  Thank you.

greenbergman

« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2010, 04:35:56 AM »
Thanks SafeSurf. I had already seen that page, though, and as mentioned above, had tried turning off encryption, first in Eudora and then in Avast, but neither helped.
I don't know enough about ports to mess with them.

SafeSurf

« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2010, 07:20:57 AM »
You can contact Avast and Submit a Technical Ticket: https://support.avast.com/ and the Avast Team will contact you, or you can contact an Avast partner (iYogi) if you live within the USA/Canada at 1-877-314-5079 (for paid Avast products only). 

greenbergman

« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2010, 06:06:36 PM »
Yes, been going the tech support route, too. Their last reply:
"if you want to have your email scanned you have to use unencrypted connection in your email client so avast can access them.
In avast ssl center you have to enter proper credentials. I am unable to tell you proper credentials for your mail services please ask your IT administrator."

unfortunately, as someone without an IT administrator and who doesn't really know from "proper credentials," that didn't help much....

SafeSurf

« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2010, 12:32:48 AM »
You can contact iYogi (a telephone-support for Avast for the States) at 1-877-877-9362 for Avast free products.

Or you can continue to get support here on the forum and perhaps another helper will be able to come up with another idea.  Thank you for your patience.

greenbergman

« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2010, 03:52:57 AM »
Thanks (again!) SafeSurf.

Do you know if that Avast support line supports the free version?

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2010, 04:55:03 AM »
No I don't believe the iYogi is available to free users, it is only for the paid avast products. The support.avast.com support tickets can be used by those with the free version also.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2010, 04:56:37 AM by DavidR »
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

SafeSurf

« Reply #13 on: September 20, 2010, 06:28:13 AM »
The support.avast.com support tickets can be used by those with the free version also.
Not any longer.  I have Avast Free and Avast blocks me from submitting a ticket since they recreated the web site.  Avast now detects the product you have installed on your machine and denies you from this site.

You can contact iYogi (a telephone-support for Avast for the States) at 1-877-877-9362 for Avast free products.
I just called iYogi at the phone # above and they offer installation and technical support for individual users only living within USA and Canada only (not companies/corporations).  They are available 24/7 and do not deal with hardware issues.  They can create a technical ticket for Free users

I will admit you have to wait an extremely L-O-N-G time to speak with someone and I called during off-peak hours :P; forum support is much quicker!!!  I am not sure of the follow-through on issues as I was just calling them to confirm the above.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #14 on: September 20, 2010, 09:57:49 AM »
I could have sworn that one of the Avast Team said they could use the support ticket process less than a week ago ???

I have to admit surprise to that one (even if you are in North America, I would have though since avast have to pay for the iYogi service it would be restricted to the paid versions of avast.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security