Author Topic: noob question  (Read 2173 times)

jwall

noob question
« on: August 18, 2010, 05:28:04 PM »
I'm using the latest version of avast 5 free and use file and web shields.
I'm a home user behind a router for a wireless connections to a laptop.  Everything is working fine.  
Do I need network shield?  What is is exactly?
I've read about it, but I'm still not clear;
Thanks.

xp home sp3
« Last Edit: August 18, 2010, 05:35:12 PM by jwall »

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
Re: noob question
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2010, 05:35:29 PM »
Wikipedia  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Avast!

File System Shield — Real-time protection against viruses and other malware threats. Scans files as they run on your computer to keep viruses from being able to execute.
Mail Shield  — Scans messages and attachments in E-mail/Microsoft Outlook/Exchange for viruses.
Web Shield — HTTP protection (local transparent proxy). Version 4.8 also allows the blocking of URLs. Scans URLs and incoming data for viruses, and aborts connections to the site if one is found.
P2P shield — Scans P2Pfiles from file share programs.
IM shield — Instant Messaging protection. (Scanning of files transferred through instant messaging applications)
Script blocker — Professional version only; scans webpages for malicious scripts, and disables them from infecting your computer, though they can still be used. (for example, a clickable button)
Network Shield — Basic protection against well-known network worms. Acts as an Intrusion Detection System.
Behavior Shield - Reports suspicious behavior by analyzing the behavior of programs

CharleyO

Re: noob question
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2010, 05:40:20 PM »

And so, the answer is yes!