Author Topic: Nero 7 is a decompression bomb?  (Read 5157 times)

Sarasota

Nero 7 is a decompression bomb?
« on: February 07, 2010, 06:01:15 PM »
What does this mean that after a scan?

Name of Files: C:\Program Files\Nero\Nero7\Nero BackItUp\BackItUp_Image Tool\root.img\root.img
Result: Unable to scan: The file is a decompression bomb
Operation: Error occurred during moving the file to chest. The file is a decompression bomb.

I tried to move to chest, but wouldn't allow.

Thanks for info in advance if you have had this issue or know what the heck it is!

spg SCOTT

Re: Nero 7 is a decompression bomb?
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2010, 06:04:17 PM »
Hi Sarasota, welcome to the forum :)

The name decompression bomb is a bit of a misnomer...

- decompression bomb is just something that unpacks to an unusually big amount of data even though it's rather small (i.e. has a high compression ratio, for example). It's nothing to worry about, you are just informed that avast! will not try to unpack the archive (you may not even know that it's an archive, but it seems like it is) because it may take VERY long to process.

Basically aavst! is not necessarily telling you that it is infected, but is telling you that the file is compressed in such a way that if scanned it would take a very long time, and so is left.

-Scott-

Offline Gopher John

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2010, 06:46:39 PM »
The "Decompression Bomb" question has been asked repeatedly on this forum.  Perhaps a sticky with "Decompression Bomb" title should be posted at the top of the threads list should be made.  I doubt that would help, as no one could be bothered to read it because they won't do a search or scan the threads anyway.
AMD A6-5350M APU with Radeon HD Graphics, 8.0GB RAM, Win7 Pro SP1 64bit, IE11
i7-3610QM 2.3GHZ, 8.0GB Ram,  Nvidia GeForce GT 630M 2GB, Win7 Pro SP1 64bit, IE 11
Common to both: Avast Premium Security 19.7.2388, WinPatrol Plus, SpywareBlaster 5.5, Opera 12.18, Firefox 68.0.2, MBam Free, CCleaner

Sarasota

« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2010, 01:15:51 AM »
Thank you Scott and Gopher John,  I appreciate your comments.  Since I am new to this forum, I probably would not thought to search by "decompresion bomb", although I did try Nero 7.  The quote you inserted also helped me understand why this showed up.
Thank you again for sharing your knowledge.
Sarasota

CaptBret

« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2010, 05:45:01 PM »
I have just read this and many other posts about 'decompression bombs'  Thanks to all who have answered my questions before I asked them.  BTW the SEARCH function on this site does work very well!!! :)