Author Topic: Free Edition assistance or badly infected computer.  (Read 2792 times)

pink4jodi

Free Edition assistance or badly infected computer.
« on: September 26, 2010, 04:19:45 AM »
I just downloaded the free edition to scan my computer.  Once it started, the shields stopped...and I can't restart them.  Every few minutes windows internet explorer will pop up with computer scan of itself and goes no where. The free edition is still scanning but my hopes are not high..

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: Free Edition assistance or badly infected computer.
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2010, 04:28:12 AM »
I suggest:

1. Clean your temporary files.
2. Schedule a boot time scanning with avast with archive scanning turned on. If avast does not detect it, you can try DrWeb CureIT! instead.
3. Use MBAM (or SUPERantispyware or even Spyware Terminator) to scan for spywares and trojans. If any infection is detected, it is better and safer to send the infected file(s) to quarantine (Chest), rather than simply deleting them.
4. Test your machine with anti-rootkit applications. I suggest avast! antirootkit or Trend Micro RootkitBuster.
5. Make a HijackThis log to post here or this analysis site. Or even submit the RunScanner log to to on-line analysis.
6. Clean your Hosts file (replacing it) with HostsMan tool.
7. Disable System Restore and then reenable it again.
8. Immunize your system with SpywareBlaster.
9. Check if you have insecure applications with Secunia Software Inspector.
The best things in life are free.

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
Re: Free Edition assistance or badly infected computer.
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2010, 06:01:46 AM »
I just downloaded the free edition to scan my computer.  Once it started, the shields stopped...and I can't restart them.  Every few minutes windows internet explorer will pop up with computer scan of itself and goes no where. The free edition is still scanning but my hopes are not high..
Have you removed all trace's of other av's before you installed avast?