Author Topic: Avastsvc suddenly clashes with Firefox  (Read 3692 times)

Baconwallah

Avastsvc suddenly clashes with Firefox
« on: August 21, 2010, 02:20:11 AM »
Hello all,

For some reason Avast Home has taken a dislike to Firefox (both progs fully updated). Today Avastsvc has begun to go mad as soon as Firefox is started, taking from 25 to 90 percent CPU time until choked by ProcessLasso. This makes browsing very difficult. Quickly checking something on the internet while working on a Word document is almost impossible. Until this afternoon, everything has always worked as it should. I did not install any new programs.

I am using a Hewlett Packard laptop with Win XP SP3 and a Turion64 processor.

The constantly turning Avast ball in the tray drives me nuts. Has anyone else experienced this, and is there an explanation or better a solution?

Thanks!

BW

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: Avastsvc suddenly clashes with Firefox
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2010, 02:49:51 AM »
Did you change the avastsvc into Lasso?
avast needs to scan the Internet traffic.
You need to check into avast real time shields which is being scanned when the computer get slow.
The best things in life are free.

Dch48

« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2010, 03:03:12 AM »
Hello all,

For some reason Avast Home has taken a dislike to Firefox (both progs fully updated). Today Avastsvc has begun to go mad as soon as Firefox is started, taking from 25 to 90 percent CPU time until choked by ProcessLasso. This makes browsing very difficult. Quickly checking something on the internet while working on a Word document is almost impossible. Until this afternoon, everything has always worked as it should. I did not install any new programs.

I am using a Hewlett Packard laptop with Win XP SP3 and a Turion64 processor.

The constantly turning Avast ball in the tray drives me nuts. Has anyone else experienced this, and is there an explanation or better a solution?

Thanks!

BW
Did you try using a different browser so maybe the problem could be directly tied to the combination of Avast! and FF? You also say Avast! Home. That is what v4.8 was called, the V5 application is Avast! Free.

JohnnyBob

« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2010, 04:19:25 AM »
...is there a...better a solution?
I'm trying MSE instead of free avast!, very simple GUI and no Firefox conflicts as far as I know. It may be a slower scanner of big files, otherwise is behaving OK so far...

P.S. oops... It hangs when scanning a big .rar file. I can't have that, so back to free avast! :)
« Last Edit: August 21, 2010, 04:37:42 AM by JohnnyBob »

Baconwallah

« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2010, 10:42:36 AM »
After further testing I believe that Firefox as well as uTorrent cause the problems. This would in effect point to the internet connection. I a now using Firefox. AvastSvc at first went haywire, stopping the IM shield and then restarting it has calmed AvastSvc down and everything is now normal and quiet.

uTorrent was started last night and for the first hour or so did not disturb AvastSvc. This morning, however, AvastSvc was again doing its mysterious things, only returning to normal when I killed uTorrent.

Funny thing is, that none of the shields show any unusual activity when AvastSvc goes haywire. So what is it doing? Is it caught in an endless loop perhaps?

BW

Baconwallah

« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2010, 12:00:09 PM »
Removing and re-installing uTorrent has solved the problem.

BW