Author Topic: Sandboxing of Firefox  (Read 27119 times)

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: Sandboxing of Firefox
« Reply #30 on: August 22, 2010, 12:17:53 AM »
but I suppose this is related to an automatic system restoration by CTM when the system crashes...wow...
No. When the system crashes, merely nothing is loaded and Windows saves the dump.
But CTM technology needs access to the disk and need to prevent this writing to avoid the snapshots break.
It's necessary for the technology to work.
I can test CIS and change to AIS in a common boot + 15 seconds. That's the technology.

back to topic >>> how could Avast devs detect what goes wrong without any dump files, obviously impossible. Okay you know it...
Well... I wish they could find a way...

As to simulate it...how? just curious...if they could reproduce on their systems the conditions in which your system failed (while sandboxing), this would mean they already know the cause.
Nor really. The problem is a conflict between the CTM driver and the avast sandbox one. They need to interact for the problem (BSOD) to happen.
The best things in life are free.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #31 on: August 22, 2010, 12:20:28 AM »
If you have those BSOD's with CTM installed, maybe you should ask the Comodo Devs for help.
I've done. No answer also.
https://forums.comodo.com/bug-reports-ctm/ctmfltsys-bsods-0x000000f7-with-175-beta-t58907.0.html

I'm not here to blame nobody. Just to receive some help (I avoid the word, but, maybe, I deserve it... don't you think?).

Hermite15

« Reply #32 on: August 22, 2010, 12:26:53 AM »
okay I had no idea how CTM works, thanks for the heads up.

Nor really. The problem is a conflict between the CTM driver and the avast sandbox one. They need to interact for the problem (BSOD) to happen.

so you're just confirming what me and Asyn supposed here, that CTM is behind it. What do they say at Comodo? may be they can solve the conflict (although I doubt they would even try ;D )...well my opinion is that Avast shouldn't take care of that (that's my opinion ok, no intent to conflict with you here)...why...because Avast is primarily needed on a system, and CTM, for those who want it, comes next...far behind...
 And like Asyn said, CTM has such a reputation of breaking systems, I don't get why you stick to it...

Hermite15

« Reply #33 on: August 22, 2010, 12:29:56 AM »
I've done. No answer also

just what I said in my last post ;) they will never bother trying to resolve a conflict with a competitor. Your issue is between one of their products and one that competes with something they provide too, an IS suite...forget it.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #34 on: August 22, 2010, 12:35:34 AM »
although I doubt they would even try ;D
I see no reason for they not do it. It's difficult for both. In fact, they've tried and I've in contact with the developers as here with pk.
By "answer" in my post, I meant, solution. Sorry, the post was not fair neither with Comodo nor avast teams.

just what I said in my last post ;) they will never bother trying to resolve a conflict with a competitor. Your issue is between one of their products and one that competes with something they provide too, an IS suite...forget it.
You really do not trust them. It will be hard for me to convince you.
I believe in freewares. I believe in software development. I try to help when I can.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #35 on: August 23, 2010, 01:43:46 PM »

Hermite15

« Reply #36 on: August 23, 2010, 01:50:14 PM »
they will never bother trying to resolve a conflict with a competitor.
Seems that you're wrong...
https://forums.comodo.com/bug-reports-ctm/ctmfltsys-bsods-0x000000f7-with-175-beta-t58907.0.html;msg427131#msg427131

wow, I'm a bit amazed, let's wait for your feedback when the next release is out then ;D

GloobyGoob

« Reply #37 on: August 24, 2010, 11:52:05 PM »
New Pre-Release Build is now available. I emailed pk and he said he fixed a BSOD issue in this build (if your issue is the same as mine).

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #38 on: August 25, 2010, 03:05:12 AM »
let's wait for your feedback when the next release is out then ;D
They acknowledged it and will fix in next version. Check their forum for details.
It was a problem in the CTM driver and not on the avast sandbox one.

Hermite15

« Reply #39 on: August 25, 2010, 09:52:52 AM »
let's wait for your feedback when the next release is out then ;D
They acknowledged it and will fix in next version. Check their forum for details.
It was a problem in the CTM driver and not on the avast sandbox one.

oh I had no doubt that the issue was on Comodo side ;D

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #40 on: August 28, 2010, 07:33:30 PM »
It would be great if avast team develop a guide called "how to use the sandbox and virtualization" for browsers and email clients. What to do, what to set, etc.
The help files describe what avast settings do but NOT the final situation of a process sandboxed (what you can do, what you can't, what will work, what will not..., the advantages of doing so, how is the user protected against malware in these conditions).
Shortly: sell to me the use of the sandbox...
What is being sandboxed *exactly* when Firefox runs into the sandbox?

Hermite15

« Reply #41 on: August 28, 2010, 07:56:35 PM »
It would be great if avast team develop a guide called "how to use the sandbox and virtualization" for browsers and email clients. What to do, what to set, etc.
The help files describe what avast settings do but NOT the final situation of a process sandboxed (what you can do, what you can't, what will work, what will not..., the advantages of doing so, how is the user protected against malware in these conditions).
Shortly: sell to me the use of the sandbox...
What is being sandboxed *exactly* when Firefox runs into the sandbox?

well obviously the program itself + plugins and your profile (including add-ons). Are excepted from the sandbox everything you design as not being sandboxed from the expert settings, and this can be almost anything you want. Don't know about you but I can't get flashplayer run sandboxed at all. It starts to work as soon as I exclude it.

You know what, I wouldn't mind a fusion of CIS sandbox and Avast sandbox ;D each one has features that the other doesn't have...okay  :-X ...and anyway Avast would need a HIPS or special behavioral component for auto-sandboxing. There's still this so far unexplained bit about process control in the firewall help files (Avast)  ;D

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #42 on: September 01, 2010, 03:49:45 AM »
It still does not crash with the 668 beta version. Let see how it works overnight...
I'm not being able to install addons updates, although it's marked to be allowed.
Is it a bug? Is it by design?

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #43 on: September 01, 2010, 03:06:48 PM »
1. Now Firefox sandboxed crashed... Got a black screen and then a white one... Weird...
2. Besides the OS and hidden files options are checked, the sandbox appears on one of my drivers.
3. The addons updates couldn't be applied. I'm getting an error each time I load Firefox.
   Of course, it does not happen in the non-sandboxed Firefox, where the addons could get updated.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #44 on: September 02, 2010, 12:18:26 AM »
Another annoyance of the sandboxed Firefox.
Sessions of Tab Mix Plus aren't saved. Each time I open FF, the last session is always the latest before I started sandboxing FF :P