Author Topic: Avast! Free Antivirus Not Identified by Windows 7  (Read 15590 times)

YoKenny

Re: Avast! Free Antivirus Not Identified by Windows 7
« Reply #15 on: September 05, 2010, 02:55:44 PM »
@ SafeSurf

In Windows 7 the Security Center is known as the Action Center.

Your steps to clear the WEBM repostitory are good as I had to do that on my Windows 7 system.

@ A. Chung

I do not have Comodo.

A. Chung

« Reply #16 on: September 06, 2010, 07:37:41 AM »
Hi, SafeSurf

Thank you for your advice.

Regrettably, it does not work.  It is still reported that the Security Center (Action Center) does not recognise avast! Free Antivirus 5.0.594 nor identifies it as an anti-virus application.

Strange as I have uninstalled avast! Free Antivirus from my PC, the same "error" message remains valid.  On the other hand, there is an alert warning for an anti-virus installation.

I suspect that there may be a problem on the detection by the Security Center (Action Center).  Maybe, I should ignore this minor message until the available Windows 7 Service Pack.

Regards,
A. Chung

SafeSurf

« Reply #17 on: September 06, 2010, 09:19:37 AM »
A. Chung,

Have you updated MBAM and Avast and run Quick and Full scans respectively?  Clean? 

Is your machine acting fine otherwise?  And Avast is working properly?

Is your FW being recognized in the Action Center? 

If everything except the AV is being recognized in the Action Center, perhaps contacting MS may help if all the above answers are "yes."

@ YoKenny,  Sorry for using the wrong language on the Action Center for Win7.  I use XP.  But thank you for the clarification.  ;)

A. Chung

« Reply #18 on: September 07, 2010, 09:37:23 AM »
Hi, SafeSurf

I have the following results on Windows 7 Action Center:

1.  Comodo Firewall is recognised as network firewall;
2.  avast! Free Antivirus 5.0.594 is recognised as virus protection;
3.  avast! and Comodo defense+ are recognised as installed spyware and unwanted software protection.

In addition, a full scan by MBAM (Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware) and avast! reveals that no malware or threat were detected.

As a whole, I may say that my home PC is working normally.

You're right that I'd raise the issue to Microsoft for follow-up.

Regards,
A. Chung

SafeSurf

« Reply #19 on: September 07, 2010, 09:47:32 AM »
To clarify, the only issue remaining is that Avast is not being recognized as the AV in the Action Center, which you will follow up with MS.  However, everything else is working correctly.

Let us know what MS tells you regarding this issue.  Thank you for allowing me to assist you.  :)

Feel free to come back anytime you need help, to learn something new, or just to ask questions.  We are here 24/7 for your convenience.  Thank you again.

Offline RejZoR

• Polymorphic Sheep
  • Serious Graphoman
  • We are supersheep, resistance is futile!
    • RejZoR's Flock of Sheep
« Reply #20 on: September 07, 2010, 10:05:04 AM »
http://my.opera.com/rejzor/blog/security-center-reset-1-0-released

I suggest removing ALL security programs, clean with this tool (or manually), reboot few times just to be sure and then instal your securty software again. So far i managed to solve Security Center detections this way.
Visit my webpage Angry Sheep Blog

SafeSurf

« Reply #21 on: September 07, 2010, 10:36:03 AM »
Your link is dated 2008 and does not list Win7.

The OP has Win7 and already went through the steps in Post #14.  I think this is an MS issue.

I have the following equipped with my PC:
1.  Comodo Firewall 4.1 together with its Defense+ and Sandbox;
2.  Malwarebytes' Anti-malware 1.46 (on-demand scanner)'
3.  SUPERAntiSpyware Free Edition 4.42.1000 (on-demand scanner);
4.  Windows Defender (on-demand scanner).

Everything is being recognized by the Action Center except for the AV, however it is working properly.  Therefore the OP will follow up with MS and let us know how things work out.

Thank you for your suggestions.  ;)