Author Topic: Avast 5.0.462 slowing everything to crawl...how to get 4.0 version back?  (Read 7685 times)

eastwick66

Avast Free "update" pop up made me agree to download the newest version about 4 days ago and my PC CRAWLS so slowly now I want to get rid of it! I have to turn off all shileds to surf or do anything it takes so long.
I have WXP (service pack 2) and never had problems like this with the older version, whatever it was.
How do I uninstall this "new" nightmare and get the 4.0 version back?
Please don't give all kinds of high tech advice because I'm not technical. I just agreed to the upgrade and regret it.
If i can't get the older version back, I'll uninstall this buggy 5.0 and get a different Anti-virus program.
Thanks for any help in how to get 4.0 back.

eastwick66

Will I need to use my old license key to reinstall 4.0 version?
Can I go to my control panel to add/remove programs and uninstall 5.0 that way too or should I use your link for the best uninstall?
Thanks so much! I loved the older version and the new one is causing a nightmare!

Offline pk

• Avast team
  • Super Poster
Will I need to use my old license key to reinstall 4.0 version?
Yes, use your old license key for 4.8 version.

Can I go to my control panel to add/remove programs and uninstall 5.0 that way too or should I use your link for the best uninstall?
You can use Add/Remove option in Control Panel as well, reboot and install old version.

Offline Shiw Liang

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
If you wanna try to fix the problem for avast 5 then follow the steps here:
1.Download the avast 5 installer
2.Download aswclear5.exe here:
http://www.avast.com/uninstall-utility

3.Go to safe mode
4.Run the aswclear5.exe
5.Choose avast 4.8 home/pro uninstall
6.It asks you to reboot choose no
7.Continue with the aswclear5
8.Choose avast 5 free/pro/is and uninstall again

Then reboot your computer!
Run the avast 5 installer and it should be working even faster than 4.8 normally like most of the users.

About the aswclear5.exe you may delete it!

Keith Warner

That Filehippo link is to V5. All the V4 installers keep reinstalling V5, even the old one I had saved on a USB stick. As soon as it connected, the mangy dog was back. I want it outta here!!!

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
The file hippo link also gives old versions of avast, http://www.filehippo.com/download_avast_antivirus/.

If you are trying to install avast 4.8 over 5.0 I fear you are doomed to failure, so I don't know how you are trying to install 4.8.

I would suggest a clean reinstall:
Download the version of avast you want from filehippo and save it to your HDD, somewhere you can find it again (if you didn't save your last download). Use that when you reinstall.
Download the avast! Uninstall Utility, aswClear5.exe find it here and save it to your HDD (it has uninstall tools for both 4.8 and 5.0).
  • 1. Now uninstall (using add remove programs, if you can't do that start from the next step), reboot.
  • 2. run the avast! Uninstall Utility from safe mode, first for 4.8 if previously installed (or attempted) and then for 5.0, once complete reboot into normal mode.
  • 3. install the avast version you downloaded from filehippo, reboot.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Keith Warner

Thanks, David. I'll try the clear5. I hadn't heard of it before. For some time I've been using the Revo Uninstaller which does a pretty good job of cleaning up. After the reboot I look in the registry myself.

No, the last time I installed one avast! on top of another was the version 5 beta that was supposed to cleanly install over v4. I'll not make that mistake again.

(Ignore 3-year old sig. )

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Whilst a beta version is hoped to be able to install over the top of 4.8, early beta builds weren't too successful and there were also some recommendations to do a clean install of the final released version in the beta sub forums.

Beta testing isn't for those who aren't prepared to accept that not everything is likely to be perfect. Previous 4.8 beta releases were exceptionally stable, but avast 5.0 was a huge step by comparison to anything that had gone before.

Now we are seeing pre-release builds, which are more like the 4.8 beta's more stable as they aren't such huge steps. This is because they are tweaking small areas to cope with the many different OSes and security software installed and causing unexpected consequences (bugs if you like).

You can modify your signature by clicking the Profile button at the top of all pages.

Personally I would suggest a clean reinstall of the latest avast 5.0 build 5.0.462 or wait a little longer for the current pre-release build 5.0.499 to be released as a regular release version.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

PierreBPSAWF

Hello !
My problem is exactly the same than eastwick66 !  :-[
- Also this same problem arrived to my 2xPCs ! (That are 2006 &2007 DualCore laptops running WinXP SP3)
I upgraded my 2 PCs the same day: v4.8 to v5 (via tha Avast "uninstall Utility" link) the 22June2010.
The only thing i did not made is: i had NOT disable my FireWall free "ZoneAlarm"...
because avast did not asked me to do that.
Fortunately, i had my previous v4.8 saved on my PC, so i have re-install it (as pk said), (without disable ZoneAlarm) and all is re-OK now like many years before !  :)
- I am afraid to make the "changes" from Shiw Liang or DavidR...
- But my question is: can i keep this "old v4.8" version for some time, because Avast tells me each day to download the v5 !
(I remember that i have only 2 days remaining...) ?
Thank you for an answer !

Gargamel360

You reportedly have until the new year, then support for ver.4.8  will end.

The "2days remaining" was probably related to re-registration or re-subscribing (you didn't indicate 4.8 home or pro)

PierreBPSAWF

Thank you Gargamel360 !  :D
Effectively, the "Red warning" of my upgrade from v4.8 to v5 (Free Home), can be "overlooked"
in checking (in my blue Ball icon) my subscription of 1 year that was ended !
(Avast did not said to me "explicitly")
I am gone to the Avast Website and reDo my registrations (for my 2 PCs) and add 1 Year w/VPS
with my v4.8... All seems ok now !

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Even if you re-register for another year, if they withdraw support for avast 4.8 at the end of the year that would include VPS updates also as currently they are having to support two virus signature update streams the VPS for avast 4.8 and the virus definitions & engine update for avast 5.0.

PierreBPSAWF

OK DavidR, well received !