Author Topic: What to use for firewall  (Read 10651 times)

Nikilet

What to use for firewall
« on: August 23, 2010, 06:23:52 PM »
I have done extensive research online this morning. I'm not impressed with the info I've read about the firewall included in Avast Internet Security. I'd also prefer to have something stronger than my Windows Home Vista firewall. If I install Avast Antivirus Pro 5, can someone suggest a good firewall that isn't a nightmare to use? I don't care if it's free or paid.

hayc59

Re: What to use for firewall
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2010, 06:54:27 PM »
The two I trust the most in life
Outpost Pro version 7.02
http://www.agnitum.com/products/security-suite/index.php
Online Armor
http://www.online-armor.com/products.php

you wont be disappointed ;)

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2010, 07:09:24 PM »
Iv had good results with comodo,pc tool's and private firewall of which i found private to be the lightest and easyest to configure and had no conflicks whatsoever, also scored a 100% on shield's up when i tested it. If you try pctool's make sure that if you delet it, do it in safe mode or it will take your windows validation with it. And there all free  :)
« Last Edit: August 23, 2010, 07:11:38 PM by craigb »

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2010, 07:13:23 PM »
I have been using outpost firewalls for well over 7 years and for me they work well. There is also a free version of Outpost firewall.

Many forum users are using these:
- PC Tools Firewall seems to have the least user headaches as it doesn't seem to be constantly asking the user questions about this and that.
- Online Armor for the most parts fine but it has caused some users grief after avast program updates and that is something you have to watch out for.
- Outpost Firewall 2009 free, a cut down version of the Outpost Firewall Pro version, which should still provide good protection, http://free.agnitum.com/. Download, http://www.filehippo.com/download_outpost_firewall/
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

MAG

« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2010, 08:08:54 PM »
You could always wait a bit and see what firewall fixes AIS 5.1 brings?

If you are looking for something easy to use AIS is definitely the easiest I have come across.

I have had some problems with it.

The problem of it stopping without warning now seems fixed.

The problem with file recognition still seems to persist. I have been promised it will be fixed (though I admit Lukas didn't actually say that it would be fixed in 5.1). It seems to be a problem that afflicts very few users though.

GloobyGoob

« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2010, 11:28:31 PM »
The avast Firewall works fine for me without any problems, and it won't bug you with popups (unless you want it to) :) Here's a review if you're interested. (rating: 4.5/5)

Other than avast, I recommend Outpost Firewall, Online Armor, and Comodo. These are all free.

SafeSurf

« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2010, 12:52:51 AM »
Online Armor for the most parts fine but it has caused some users grief after avast program updates and that is something you have to watch out for.
This no longer holds true with Avast 5.0 and the newer versions of Online Armor (OA).  I have beta tested OA with Avast on XP and Vista in all versions for the past almost 2 years.  OA also leaves no remnants behind on uninstall and gives no constant pop-ups while giving you the option of using it as a novice or advanced user.

PCTools also runs smoothly with Avast, however in the advanced mode does give you constant pop-ups (search in this forum).  Uninstall can leave many remnants.

Since everyone's machine and set up is different, I would recommend that you trial a software to see how you like it and more importantly how it plays with your other software on your system.  Just remember before you install, know how to uninstall and make a snapshot/back up/system restore of your system as a "just in case."  ;)

AU4U

« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2010, 01:29:38 AM »
Before you try anything new, do a penetration and leek test.

Go to: GRC(dot)com
DO: Shields Up (all)
DO: LEAKTEST

Adjust your firewall accordingly.
I have WIN FIREWALL and it tests out 100% good on BOTH tests.

rdmaloyjr

« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2010, 02:02:16 AM »

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2010, 02:55:06 AM »
The best things in life are free.

Offline jadinolf

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2010, 03:29:35 AM »
I was not aware of problems with the avast! firewall.

Personally, I am very satisfied with it.
printed on 100% recycled bytes

Jon_T

« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2010, 04:36:28 AM »
I was not aware of problems with the avast! firewall. ...
IMHO the main problem is that avast! does not provide enough documentation/screen-shots of all the firewall's features/settings so one can fully see what the avast! Firewall can or can not do, to make any detailed comparison to other firewalls.

icethenet

« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2010, 06:56:43 AM »
The Best Firewall is always a Hardware Firewall! Most software firewalls can be hacked but if a hardware firewall is configured correctly then Hacking becomes so very difficult. Most hardware firewalls are unix/linux based and provide the best security.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2010, 02:35:56 PM »
Most hardware routers/firewalls have zero/very limited outbound protection unless it is specifically stated, so any malware that manages to get past your defences has free reign to get out and download more of the same.

Without outbound protection any connection originating from your system will have associated inbound traffic pass right through your hardware firewall.

So if your hardware router/firewall doesn't provide that level of protection you still need a third party firewall.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

YoKenny

« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2010, 03:18:26 PM »
In all of the years of using my computers I have not needed a software firewall and was a devout follower of Steven Gibsons' GRC site and newsgroup.
I find that MalwareBytes Anti-Malware (MBAM) paid resident protection with its Website Blocking is a great feature.