Author Topic: What to use for firewall  (Read 10650 times)

Nikilet

Re: What to use for firewall
« Reply #15 on: August 24, 2010, 06:14:37 PM »
Thanks to all of you. There is so much good information here. I will try to comment on just a few things.

I didn't say there were any "problems" with Avast firewall. Just that reviews and comments I read are that it really isn't a very GOOD firewall. One comment was that it offers about the same protection as the Windows firewall.

I was actually thinking about Online Armour. I have done research and read a few comments about Zone Alarm recently developing some problems. I just didn't want to get something that was not going to work well with Avast Antivirus Pro 5, and Spyware Doctor which are up and running beautifully right now. I just finished a long stint dealing with such a problem.

I would like something stronger than Windows for a firewall because I do a lot of purchasing and bill paying online, but I don't want something that is going to interfere with the two aforementioned programs and cause continuous frustration.

If there are any more comments to this response, I'd appreciate them.

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #16 on: August 24, 2010, 06:42:57 PM »
I agree totally with yokenny, malwarebytes is a top product and work's great with avast, with the paid version and avast you would be banking safely. Another thing you could do is turn off remote assistance in system under control panel, this setting might not give you the outbound protection of some of the third party firewall's but it scores 100% against inbound attack's with shield's up.

Nikilet

« Reply #17 on: August 24, 2010, 07:08:03 PM »
I do run the free version of Malwarebytes; about once a week do a full scan. I have no doubt it is excellent, but could it run in the background with both Avast, a firewall and Spyware Doctor, which is also excellent? I don't think I want to get too many security programs running at the same time.

I've been doing some more surfing and Online Armour is sounding better all the time. Just one more question about this. Is this a firewall where I don't have to interact too much, because I'm not a computer tech? I did just read something about having to add Avast to the exclusions, something about temp files. I could probably do something like that but if it's a program that needs me to make decisions all the time it probably wouldn't be a good idea for me to have it.  :P

I know I'm bending ears here, but I'd like to end up with a workable combination this time. Thanks for your advice and patience.

GloobyGoob

« Reply #18 on: August 24, 2010, 07:31:24 PM »
Is this a firewall where I don't have to interact too much, because I'm not a computer tech?

Online Armor tries to limit the amount of popups that ask you for decisions. Outpost is also good for a quiet firewall. Although, avast's is completely silent. :)

Just that reviews and comments I read are that it really isn't a very GOOD firewall. One comment was that it offers about the same protection as the Windows firewall.

Don't know where you heard that, but according to pcmag.com's review here, avast's firewall is actually better than most other suites' firewalls. It makes your computer invisible to hackers, makes its own program control decisions so you don't have to, and blocks/identifies exploits. IMO, you should use Comodo with D+ disabled if you want no popups, Online Armor, or Outpost, if you really don't want to go with avast. These are all pretty quiet.

Offline Simion

• Advanced Poster
« Reply #19 on: August 24, 2010, 09:43:54 PM »
avast's firewall is actually better than most other suites' firewalls.

I think you misread this part...

Cons
Less effective than top suites at removing and blocking malware. Minor drag on system performance.

YoKenny

« Reply #20 on: August 24, 2010, 09:46:21 PM »
@ Nikilet

Just one more post and when you have more than 20 posts which will permit you to update your profile to include signature information.

Go to PROFILE then Modify Profile then Forum Profile Information then Please select your country: then Signature: and put information about your system just like my signature about your system just like my signature so that the helpers can offer pertinent advice.

In Account Related Settings select Hide email address from public to prevent scammers and spammers harvesting your kadokatelco.com email address.

GloobyGoob

« Reply #21 on: August 24, 2010, 11:31:38 PM »
avast's firewall is actually better than most other suites' firewalls.

I think you misread this part...

Cons
Less effective than top suites at removing and blocking malware. Minor drag on system performance.

Nikilet was asking about the suite's firewall, not the malware blocking/removal, or performance. But now avast improved on those two areas aswell, as shown in recent testing.

Nikilet

« Reply #22 on: August 25, 2010, 01:01:34 AM »
YoKenny
I can't follow the steps you gave. Under Modify Profile there is only "Account Related Settings." Where do I find the "Forum Profile Information?"

GloobyGoob
You are right. I apparently misread the review. But then this from the review: Cons

must be referring to the antivirus portion??? As you can see now I'm confused as to whether I should go with Avast's Internet Security instead of the Antivirus Pro 5. I do know I read somewhere else, and I think it was on this forum, that the firewall is mainly focused on inward bound traffic.

I stumble along pretty well most of the time, but I'm no tech and I really need help and advice so ... what should I do???? :-\

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #23 on: August 25, 2010, 01:23:20 AM »
YoKenny
I can't follow the steps you gave. Under Modify Profile there is only "Account Related Settings." Where do I find the "Forum Profile Information?"
<snip>

When you tried previously you would only have had 19 posts, so access would still be denied. Now you actually have 20 posts no longer a newbie, but a Jr. Member you should have full access to your profile settings.

See image, whilst this is likely to be different to yours as I use the Babylon forum Theme, but you should now have access to them.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2010, 01:27:07 AM by DavidR »
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

GloobyGoob

« Reply #24 on: August 25, 2010, 02:02:07 AM »
But then this from the review: Cons Less effective than top suites at removing and blocking malware. Minor drag on system performance.
must be referring to the antivirus portion??? As you can see now I'm confused as to whether I should go with Avast's Internet Security instead of the Antivirus Pro 5.

Avast's antivirus component/performance isn't the best, but it is among the top products (It achieved an A+ rating on AVcomparative's on-demand detection and performance tests, but still needs improvement in heuristics.) So it improved since the review (January). But remember that the Pro version has a Sandbox, which lets you virtualize your browser, so you can safely visit infected sites. ;D (You'll still be safe even if the antivirus doesn't catch the malware because only the virtual computer will be infected. When you close the browser, everything contained in the sandbox will be wiped so nothing touches your real system.)

If you need help deciding what programs to use to protect your system, see other user's signatures on this forum, for ideas. :)

Nikilet

« Reply #25 on: August 25, 2010, 06:28:18 PM »
Is there a difference in the Avast antivirus component between the Antivirus Pro 5 and the Internet Security suite?

Offline JuninhoSlo

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
« Reply #26 on: August 25, 2010, 06:38:30 PM »
Is there a difference in the Avast antivirus component between the Antivirus Pro 5 and the Internet Security suite?

http://www.avast.com/en-eu/comparison-chart

Have a nice day :)

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #27 on: August 25, 2010, 07:45:35 PM »

No, the Avast Internet Security suite includes avast Pro as the antivirus module.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

MAG

« Reply #28 on: August 25, 2010, 08:34:23 PM »
Good luck with your choice.

Whatever you decide, remember "I wish I'd spent more time worrying about computer security" is a fairly unlikely deathbed thought. ;)

Joe S

« Reply #29 on: August 26, 2010, 04:17:10 AM »
I've had good luck with Comodo. I quit using Zone Alarm years ago. It got bloated up and was annoying to network.
Joe