Author Topic: Zynga Toolbar  (Read 26643 times)

greydragonlynx

Zynga Toolbar
« on: August 24, 2010, 10:17:55 PM »
I use the Zynga toolbar (from Facebook) for games like Farmville.  I received a message today saying it was a Malicious Software and it had been blocked.

How do I unblock it?  I use it all the time and it is not a Malicious Software.

It uses the website:  toolbar.zynga.com/game_switcher/component.php

Ron

Offline polonus

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • malware fighter
Re: Zynga Toolbar
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2010, 10:40:31 PM »
Hi greydragonlynx,

On the website this is detected: htxp://s.clicktale.net/WRb.js (apparent malware domain)
Suspected of Cookie Invasion: clicktale.net -------------------- WRBlock
Please download ATF Cleaner by Atribune from here:
http://www.atribune.org/ccount/click.php?id=1
and save the file to your desktop.

* Close all open browser windows
    * Run ATF Cleaner by double clicking it.
    * Once the program opens, click the Firefox button at the top
    * Select Cookies and once that's all set click on the Empty Selected button and it will remove the cookies from your system.

polonus
« Last Edit: August 24, 2010, 10:44:25 PM by polonus »
Cybersecurity is more of an attitude than anything else. Avast Evangelists.

Use NoScript, a limited user account and a virtual machine and be safe(r)!

rdmaloyjr

« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2010, 11:06:46 PM »
* Once the program opens, click the Firefox button at the top

And if you don't have Firefox... ???

Dufresne

« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2010, 11:26:08 PM »
Unfortunately that program doesn't fix the problem. I followed all the instructions and even tried a restart after about the third time of "no files removed" without success.

The only way I've managed to get the toolbar to work properly so far is to simply disable Avast, run the toolbar, do what I needed to do and then restart avast.

On a side note, is there anyway y'all could put a quicker way to disable all real time shields at once? Going through 7 gray-out screens asking if I know what I'm doing is kind of a hassle.

pattigayle

« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2010, 01:20:48 AM »
I just started having the same problem [ with Firefox & IE ]. It just started today, was there an update that could be causing the problem ?  I had to disable Avast in order to play my games [ which I don't like to do, but ... ].

Offline polonus

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • malware fighter
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2010, 01:31:32 AM »
Hi pattigayle,

Avoid toolbars designed to help you cheat in your online games.
There are two “free toolbars” circulating around the web that pretend to enable users to cheat at Zynga games on Facebook, but actually attempt to steal Facebook login credentials.  The false toolbars were spotted by Sunbelt researchers and should be avoided at all cost.
But have you made certain that you haven't this fake Zynga Toolbar?, the fake one steals your facebook password...
http://www.allfacebook.com/toolbars-facebook-password-2010-03
Re: http://www.facebook.com/notes/zonealarm/warning-beware-of-fake-zynga-toolbars/10150164186460510?_fb_noscript=1
So look at the pictures here: http://www.allfacebook.com/toolbars-facebook-password-2010-03?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%253A+allfacebook+%2528Facebook+Blog%2529

polonus
« Last Edit: August 25, 2010, 01:33:08 AM by polonus »

pattigayle

« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2010, 01:43:34 AM »
I don't use the cheat bars. I have the Zymga toolbar for Farmville installed. Everytime I open my browser [ IE or Firefox - It doesn't happen with Chrome or Safari ] I get a message that a threat has been blocked by the network shield toolbar.zynga.com/game_switcher/component.php - infection url:mal.

Offline polonus

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • malware fighter
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2010, 01:48:52 AM »
    The domain on which the phishing page is hosted is constantly changing because in time every domain gets reported, detected and blocked by the browsers. The different domains used had names like apps-facebook-inthemafia(dot)tk,mafiamafiamafiamafia(dot)t35(dot)com, apps-inthemafias-facebook(dot)tk, etc.

The problem is that the toolbars - when they are not pointing towards the phishing page - point to the real Facebook URL, and the switch can happen anytime. It is best to distrust “cheating” toolbars altogether, and access Facebook and other networks and services by typing in the URL yourself or following your own bookmark.

The point is clear: do not download any fake toolbars claiming to help you cheat at games. The only thing they’ll accomplish is having your password stolen, then also consider this from Zynga on the issue of the snag bar:
http://www.thatsnonsense.com/index.php?location=view&id=862

polonus
« Last Edit: August 25, 2010, 01:52:11 AM by polonus »

pattigayle

« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2010, 01:52:43 AM »
But, as I said, I don't have a cheat bar. I have the official Zynga Toolbar. Now what ?

smbarbour

« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2010, 03:08:57 AM »
Confirming that this issue is occurring with the official toolbar from Zynga.

I find it very hard to believe that the largest social gaming company is a malware distributor.

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2010, 03:22:24 AM »
Also see, http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=63157.0.

I have send a report on this as a possible false positive, so hopefully they can check why the network shield is blocking the domain zynga.com and if it is no longer suspect be removed from the malicious sites list for the network shield.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2010, 03:25:09 AM »
Confirming that this issue is occurring with the official toolbar from Zynga.

I find it very hard to believe that the largest social gaming company is a malware distributor.

It isn't with the actual toolbar, but the zynga.com domain.

Just because it is the largest only means one thing, it is a bigger target for possible site hacking and this is usually the most common reason why a site is added to the malicious sites list.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

renodottie

« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2010, 05:13:14 AM »
Ditto, use it all the time now it is screaming about a THREAT!  I have the upgraded paid for version, with FREE telephone support, I don't know how long you're supposed to to wait, but I sayed on hold for 18 minutes before I hung up.  So, what do we do wait a day or two to see if Zynga is having a problem, disable the AVAST or make ZYNGA an exception?

Gargamel360

« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2010, 05:42:40 AM »
If it is false, I have not seen them ever take too long correcting it, once it is submitted.

If the site is hacked, they would have to scan clean to be removed from blacklist.  How long that would take depends on many things.  

The Farmville community is large, so I am sure this will get the attention it deserves, one way or another.

edit: wow, can't believe I said Farmville deserves attention.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2010, 05:44:54 AM by Gargamel360 »

lormahoykyd2007

« Reply #14 on: August 25, 2010, 09:26:19 AM »
Yes having the same problem myself. I decided to use Avast when my Norton 360 expired today. I am going to Fry's first thing in the morning to buy another copy. I believe this is Avast trying to get people to buy paid products.