Author Topic: Zynga Toolbar  (Read 26648 times)

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Zynga Toolbar
« Reply #15 on: August 25, 2010, 03:08:20 PM »
Yes having the same problem myself. I decided to use Avast when my Norton 360 expired today. I am going to Fry's first thing in the morning to buy another copy. I believe this is Avast trying to get people to buy paid products.

Why would they do that (?) as the paid product has the same malicious sites database used in all versions, free/paid.

If you have money to throw away go right ahead, personally a little time to see what the outcome is would be cheaper all round.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Hermite15

« Reply #16 on: August 25, 2010, 03:24:58 PM »
funny how just the name "zynga" sounds already like a piece of malware ;D

Gargamel360

« Reply #17 on: August 25, 2010, 07:08:59 PM »
Yes having the same problem myself. I decided to use Avast when my Norton 360 expired today. I am going to Fry's first thing in the morning to buy another copy. I believe this is Avast trying to get people to buy paid products.
That is quite a conclusion to jump to,  is your head OK from hitting the ceiling  ??? ::)

Avast!'s whole business model is built around their free product>>http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freemium

How would blocking a toolbar make anyone use their paid versions?

Hermite15

« Reply #18 on: August 25, 2010, 07:44:52 PM »
agreed...

this part:
I believe this is Avast trying to get people to buy paid products.
was completely irrelevant ::)

1st how would the fact of detecting malware with the free version be a mean to get you acquire the paid version ??? don't know what sort of grass...okay ;D this would be extremely perverse wouldn't it ???  ::)

2d as mentioned by Gargamel360, Avast business practices is far away from anything fishy.

fredvries

« Reply #19 on: August 25, 2010, 08:46:52 PM »
I think the problem is that Norton 360 doesn't qualify the Zynga Toolbar as malware while avast does.

Remember that every anti-spyware, anti-virus and/or anti-malware program has its own set of definitions. Not every program has the same way of deciding if and when an item is malware. Therefore it isn't unusual that Norton 360 tells you that your Zynga Toolbar is quite allright, while avast tells you otherwise. The point is that it is suspect and the way forward is not saying one is wrong but to get a second opinion.

My suggestion is to download and run Malwarebytes (malwarebytes.org) and see what they think of the Zynga Toolbar.

Besides: no one can decide for you. If you decide that the program is not a problem, simply do not remove it and keep using it as you've always done.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #20 on: August 25, 2010, 09:06:49 PM »
This was 'never' about the zynga toolbar but avast's network shield blocking the zynga domain as a malicious site.

That listing on the malicious sites list has now been revised/reversed in virus definitions 100825-0 and the zynga.com site is no longer blocked so the toolbar should work as it can access the main zynga.com site.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

resa1983

« Reply #21 on: August 29, 2010, 02:41:38 PM »
This was 'never' about the zynga toolbar but avast's network shield blocking the zynga domain as a malicious site.

That listing on the malicious sites list has now been revised/reversed in virus definitions 100825-0 and the zynga.com site is no longer blocked so the toolbar should work as it can access the main zynga.com site.

It needs fixing again - Seems the update this morning added it back to the block list, so its blocking the toolbar again.

pattigayle

« Reply #22 on: August 29, 2010, 05:52:24 PM »
yup, the popup is back  :-[

ballou

« Reply #23 on: August 29, 2010, 06:01:51 PM »
I also have the "toolbar game switcher" warning problem, I get the toolbar, but not the choice of the games, that means the toolbar is now useless.

At least I could still pick my games earlier today, but a few hours later there is a blank space.   >:( >:( >:(

I checked for Avast updates, but was told I have already the latest version

100829-0

Server 11OO2 avast.com 87.248.203.253

and yes I cleared cookies.

pattigayle

« Reply #24 on: August 29, 2010, 06:05:02 PM »
if you want to use the toolbar, you have to disable avast.

jenbear

« Reply #25 on: August 29, 2010, 06:33:08 PM »
I shouldn't have to turn off avast so I can use the zynga toolbar.  I hope they know that this has happened again and fix it  :)

YoKenny

« Reply #26 on: August 29, 2010, 09:18:55 PM »
yup, the popup is back  :-[

Go to PROFILE then Modify Profile then Forum Profile Information then select your country in Please select your country: then update your Signature: with information like my signature as this helps the helpers offer pertinent advice.

In Account Related Settings select Hide email address from public? to prevent scammers and spammers harvesting your hotmail.com email address.

I would rather remove the Zanga Toolbar than remove avast! ::)