Author Topic: Avast letting viruses through  (Read 7013 times)

theimaginaryduck

Avast letting viruses through
« on: August 24, 2010, 05:18:12 PM »
OK. I can detect a virus-riddled website at 20 paces; they usually have give-away signs like a "Loading" bar etc. So, I went on one particular website last night, and a java 'splash-screen' appeared; I tried to close the window but it was too late, and I thought, "Brace yourselves: Avast siren in 3...2...1..." [The Avast siren is amazing, by the way. Even when I'm expecting it, it never fails to give me a minor heart-attack. This is why I usually keep my laptop on 'mute' when I'm on the internet]. But, Avast didn't come to the rescue...

Instead, Threatfire popped up. "Er. Excuse me, something's not quite right here. What do you want me to do?" Not being particularly familiar with Threatfire, as it is a recent addition to my list of computer programs, I said, "Uh. I don't know. Stop process and quarantine, please." Three attempts later, Threatfire came back saying, "Ur. Humbly report, I tried my best but it didn't quite work out as expected. Sorry. Please don't uninstall me." OK, I thought, it's time to let Avast take over with a scan. I let it scan and went into another room.

About 15 minutes later, my cat's head snapped 'round, in that owl-like fashion, to look at my laptop. "Ah good," I thought, "Avast has detected the virus" [perhaps this is good enough evidence to suggest that the Avast siren causes minor heart-attacks in household pets as well]. I opened up the chest, and had a look at what kind of virus it was. It was AppleT.Class, which, after a quick Google search later, I discovered this to be a malicious key-logging and screenshot-saving trojan. This made me think, if this is such a malicious code, why did Avast let it through?

This is not the first time, though. A couple of weeks ago Avast quite happily allowed 12 viruses on (most were apparently the same self-replicating virus, so maybe it just let the one on and the virus did its magic...). Now, I would like to note that this is not a complaint, by any means. Usually Avast pops up in that accusing manner: "Silly girl, you let a virus on your computer. etc" And I must confess I experience a bizarre joy and accomplishment every time I run my daily thorough scan (yes, I also admit I'm obsessed with scanning for viruses.) and I manage to find a virus. But lately, Avast hasn't been detecting virus threats.

Basically, I just want to know why Avast has suddenly stopped detecting immediate threats. As far as I know, I haven't turned virus protection off, so what's up?

Thanks, and sorry for the long post.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Avast letting viruses through
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2010, 05:26:44 PM »
Well if you are hearing the avast siren, then I guess you are still using avast 4.8 and avast 5.0 has been out for 7 months.

avast5 has some more functionality and whilst I don't know if that would have made a difference to your experience with avast 4.8, but it is better, so if you are able to (not using win9.x or winME), I would advise updating to avast5.

~~~~
No single AV solution is going to provide 100% protection so this shows the benefit of a multi-layer/application approach to security.

- Send the sample/s to virus (at) avast (dot) com zipped and password protected with the password in email body, a link to this topic might help and false positive/undetected malware in the subject.

Or you can also add the file to the User Files (File, Add) section of the avast chest (if it isn't already in the chest) where it can do no harm and send it from there. A copy of the file/s will remain in the original location, so you will need to take further action and can remove/rename that.

Send it from the User Files section of the chest (select the file, right click, email to Alwil Software). It will be uploaded (not actually emailed) to avast when the next avast auto (or manual) update is done.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2010, 05:28:21 PM »
Basically, I just want to know why Avast has suddenly stopped detecting immediate threats. As far as I know, I haven't turned virus protection off, so what's up?
No security program have 100% detection. Something like 50 000 new malware code is discovered every day so........mission impossible

This made me think, if this is such a malicious code, why did Avast let it through?
maybe you got it before avast had detection for it?

Check your computer for malware with

Malwarebytes Anti-Malware 1.46 http://filehippo.com/download_malwarebytes_anti_malware/
always run update before you scan so you have latest database
click the remove selected button to quarantine anything found
you may post the scan log here if anything is found

And I must confess I experience a bizarre joy and accomplishment every time I run my daily thorough scan
no need to do that, and why not use the screensave scan?

Avast siren in 3...2...1..."
avast siren...that means you are still using the old avast 4.8...  why not upgrade to the new avast 5 

« Last Edit: August 24, 2010, 05:48:50 PM by Pondus »

Offline Chim

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2010, 06:26:27 PM »
So avast 5.0 doesn't have any siren?  Does it have ANY audio indication that a Virus has been detected?
Dell Optiplex 780 / Core 2 Duo E8400 3.00 GHz / 4 Gig RAM / Windows XP Pro 32-Bit SP3 / Panda Dome  Free 18.07.00 / MBAM / SAS / NetZero Dial Up / Maxthon MX5 5.2.5.4000

CharleyO

« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2010, 06:28:54 PM »

Yes, a nice sounding female voice will tell you "A virus has been found...", etc.

That is the default sounds but there is a Sounds setting in the UI.

« Last Edit: August 24, 2010, 06:30:46 PM by CharleyO »

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2010, 06:56:27 PM »
Yes, a nice sounding female voice will tell you "A virus has been found...", etc.
jepp      Ding Ding Ding....a threat have been detected     :D

theimaginaryduck

« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2010, 07:08:27 PM »
Well if you are hearing the avast siren, then I guess you are still using avast 4.8 and avast 5.0 has been out for 7 months.

Gosh, I didn't realise a new version had been released! Where have I been all this time..?
(Well, my University put Avast on my laptop, so that's my excuse :D)

I'll try everything suggested when I get home. Thanks for the replies!

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2010, 07:46:54 PM »
Here is the direct download link to avast 5.0 free (no longer called avast! Home), http://files.avast.com/iavs5x/setup_av_free.exe.

You can install this over the top of avast 4.8 and that will uninstall avast 4.8, retaining the current registration info and install avast5.

- Avast! Free antivirus Quick Start Guide http://files.avast.com/files/documentation/quick-start-guide-free-en-ww.pdf
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

theimaginaryduck

« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2010, 09:18:09 PM »
OK, everything was going fine, but now Avast, that is, Avast 5, isn't working.

It claims my system is not fully protected and I have to click 'Fix Now' to get everything going.

50 clicks on 'Fix Now' later... and I'm still not being protected.

What's going wrong this time??

[By the way, my laptop isn't currently connected to the internet so I'm "safe" for now. And yes, I'm currently using a different laptop to type this message.]

DavidCo

« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2010, 09:27:07 PM »
Some people have needed to uninstall V4 before installing V5
Use the Avast clean up tool after uninstalling V4
Do a restart
Do be connected to internet when installing V5

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2010, 09:29:48 PM »
OK try a clean reinstall:
- Download the latest version of avast, 5.0.594 http://files.avast.com/iavs5x/setup_av_free.exe and save it to your HDD, somewhere you can find it again (if you didn't save your last download). Use that when you reinstall.

- Download the avast! Uninstall Utility, aswClear5.exe find it here and save it to your HDD (it has uninstall tools for both 4.8 and 5.0).
  • 1. Now uninstall (using add remove programs, if you can't do that start from the next step), reboot.
  • 2. run the avast! Uninstall Utility from safe mode, first for 4.8 if previously installed and then for 5.0, once complete reboot into normal mode.
  • 3. install the latest version, reboot.