Author Topic: Scanning outgoing emails with SSL enabled - cant send in Outlook Express  (Read 12365 times)

sh2811

Re: Scanning outgoing emails with SSL enabled - cant send in Outlook Express
« Reply #15 on: August 25, 2010, 09:50:00 PM »
Thanks to both of you.

Pondus - good point I guess so I'll avoid restarting the debate!

Logos - that seems to cover the question! I would have been more comfortable if Avast showed just a little more information, i.e. port 25 redirected to 465. It seems like you just have to have faith all is setup OK. It may just be that I need to get used to the new software more. It did not feel intuitive. The popup message from Avast telling me to switch off SSL in my mail client only popped up once even when I changed the settings in OE and Avast a few times. I could have missed it.

Anyway, all looks ok. Thanks to all.
Stu.

Hermite15

« Reply #16 on: August 25, 2010, 10:35:54 PM »
you can see the details of what Avast does in the ssl account tab of the mail shield advanced settings ;)

sh2811

« Reply #17 on: August 25, 2010, 10:58:29 PM »
Yes I had found that. It just did not feel comfortable that OE was changed to show port 25 with SSL off but Avast shows 465 and SSL on. I would like more detail in Avast's SSL accounts menu to show something like:

Outlook express SMTP account found

Hermite15

« Reply #18 on: August 25, 2010, 11:01:50 PM »
Yes I had found that. It just did not feel comfortable that OE was changed to show port 25 with SSL off but Avast shows 465 and SSL on. I would like more detail in Avast's SSL accounts menu to show something like:

Outlook express SMTP account found

yeah so far Avast only sends an alert that an ssl account was detected if the settings are wrong, but when they're fine there's no message.

sh2811

« Reply #19 on: August 25, 2010, 11:12:47 PM »
Ooops pressed the wrong button.

Outlook express SMTP account found:
   old settings - port 465, SSL - on AND Avast not setup
   new settings - port 25, SSL - off AND Avast using port 465, SSL - on

OK that is a bit messy but perhaps you can see my point?
I know that the SSL accounts menu does show that the setting is for "Demon.net and port 465 with SSL on" and possibly that is enough.

I wonder how someone who examined the computer and does not use Avast would realise that whilst OE's settings are wrong, i.e. in my case Demon want 465 + SSL on, Avast is setup to handle the correct port number and SSL setting. I can accept it is perhaps a small point and once it is setup it should work but I have a feeling that the link between the mail software and Avast is not as obvious as it could be.

Normally I don't need much help but those settings confused me!
Now I understand!
Thanks again.