Author Topic: HP\BIN\EndProcess.exe  (Read 39993 times)

AU4U

Re: HP\BIN\EndProcess.exe
« Reply #15 on: February 07, 2012, 12:00:47 PM »
OOPS, my bad,,,,, :P
Its a PUP, not a FP...........
You still need this for OEM programs,
Soooo,,,,
Don't forget to exclude it in the 2 locations and in your B/U file as well.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #16 on: February 07, 2012, 02:12:56 PM »
As I said why exclude, decide if they want to scan for PUPs against the default settings.

Or they may be likely to get detections/decisions like this in the future that user has to know what they might be.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline lakrsrool

• Advanced Poster
  • Get the Picture !
« Reply #17 on: July 12, 2012, 06:17:18 PM »
It normally comes with the HP recovery data, in c:\HP\bin, or something like that, what was the location ?

It isn't a virus, as the suffix [PUP] Potentially Unwanted Program implies. This is a tool used to kill applications (killapp) and is a tool that can be used for good or evil and your AV is not making that determination.

What I find strange is that it is being detected at all as scanning for PUPs isn't enabled by default. So it looks like you have been tweaking avast or its scan settings without knowing the possible effect.

I have not "tweaked" Avast for ANY settings but still the full scan DID apparently scan for PUPS.

How can a user change this setting which appears to be the "default" even though you do not believe it to be this?
Processor: i3 2.53 GHz 4 GIG RAM, OS: WIN 7, Connection: High Speed, Virus/Malware Protection: Avast-2015, SpywareBlaster, Windows Firewall & Defender. Email: Outlook 2010 w/ POP Peeper Email Notifiers.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #18 on: July 12, 2012, 06:23:32 PM »
The default action is NOT to scan for PUPs, so someone has changed this setting.

Full System Scan > Settings > Sensitivity PUP and suspicious files section 'Scan for potentially unwanted programs (PUPs).
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

true indian

« Reply #19 on: July 12, 2012, 06:25:29 PM »
I remember this was picked up when i installed avast for first time and ran a quick scan but it didnt cause any issues with windows activation etc... :)

Offline lakrsrool

• Advanced Poster
  • Get the Picture !
« Reply #20 on: July 12, 2012, 06:54:02 PM »
The default action is NOT to scan for PUPs, so someone has changed this setting.

Full System Scan > Settings > Sensitivity PUP and suspicious files section 'Scan for potentially unwanted programs (PUPs).

I am the ONLY USER and I know for a fact that I have never changed ANY settings on Avast.  Under the circumstances it would HAVE TO BE THE DEFAULT SETTING in my case. I don't even know HOW to make this change actually.

Can you tell me how I can change it back?

I do not know where to find "Full System Scan" in your path that you posted above.

Thanks.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2012, 06:59:00 PM by lakrsrool »
Processor: i3 2.53 GHz 4 GIG RAM, OS: WIN 7, Connection: High Speed, Virus/Malware Protection: Avast-2015, SpywareBlaster, Windows Firewall & Defender. Email: Outlook 2010 w/ POP Peeper Email Notifiers.

Offline lakrsrool

• Advanced Poster
  • Get the Picture !
« Reply #21 on: July 12, 2012, 07:06:01 PM »

I am the ONLY USER and I know for a fact that I have never changed ANY settings on Avast.  Under the circumstances it would HAVE TO BE THE DEFAULT SETTING in my case. I don't even know HOW to make this change actually.

Can you tell me how I can change it back?

I do not know where to find "Full System Scan" in your path that you posted above.

Thanks.

OK I found where.

And the PUP option is UNCHECKED.

So you are correct that is the "default setting"

But Avast still found that the "EndProcess.exe" PUP when I did a "full scan".

So apparently when you've been suggesting people are changing this setting because this PUP is found it is not the "setting" that has been changed but Avast is looking for and finding this PUP ANYWAY even though the "Scan for PUPS" is NOT CHECKED!!!!

It would appear to be an issue with Avast.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2012, 07:07:49 PM by lakrsrool »

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #22 on: July 12, 2012, 07:40:13 PM »
Please stop posting in multiple topic, I can't keep up with the same questions and I have no idea why your Full System Scan is detecting PUPs when scan for PUPs isn't checked. But I can't see your settings of your scan as I'm sure there are other options which may still scan this (e.g. Scan All files).

I certainly haven't seen this where others with their settings on defaults get PUP detections.

Offline lakrsrool

• Advanced Poster
  • Get the Picture !
« Reply #23 on: July 12, 2012, 08:13:52 PM »
Please stop posting in multiple topic, I can't keep up with the same questions and I have no idea why your Full System Scan is detecting PUPs when scan for PUPs isn't checked. But I can't see your settings of your scan as I'm sure there are other options which may still scan this (e.g. Scan All files).

I certainly haven't seen this where others with their settings on defaults get PUP detections.

Sorry, I thought I was only posting  it two threads, one on how to restore the PUP from the chest as well as whether or not the PUP was a problem and the other thread on why the PUP was scanned in the first place.

You have posted that the Full System Scan > Settings > Sensitivity PUP and suspicious files section 'Scan for potentially unwanted programs (PUPs) needs to be UNCHECKED.

Here are my Sensitivity Settings (PUP is unchecked) attached I  will post the Scan Parameters setting which does NOT have "Scan All Files" checked either on my next post since both together are to large according to the board.

The main point is I've NEVER changed ANY DEFAULT settings yet Avast DID Scan for PUP's which I think you are saying should NOT happen if I've NEVER changed ANY settings.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2012, 08:18:33 PM by lakrsrool »

Offline lakrsrool

• Advanced Poster
  • Get the Picture !
« Reply #24 on: July 12, 2012, 08:16:47 PM »
Here is the Scan Parameters setting which does NOT have "Scan All Files" checked.

So both the Sensitivity and the Parameters settings would not account for Avast scanning for PUPS.

The main point is I've NEVER changed ANY DEFAULT settings yet Avast DID Scan for PUP's which I think you are saying should NOT happen if I've NEVER changed ANY settings.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #25 on: July 12, 2012, 09:00:42 PM »
I can't see why it would detect it, as I said if the scan for PUPs is off and if Scan All files is also off. I can see no logical reason why it would scan it and even if it did scan it I would think it wouldn't be using the PUP signatures.

I certainly haven't seen and instance of this in the forums, nor have I experienced it.

Offline lakrsrool

• Advanced Poster
  • Get the Picture !
« Reply #26 on: July 13, 2012, 04:17:12 AM »
I can't see why it would detect it, as I said if the scan for PUPs is off and if Scan All files is also off. I can see no logical reason why it would scan it and even if it did scan it I would think it wouldn't be using the PUP signatures.

I certainly haven't seen and instance of this in the forums, nor have I experienced it.

I've posted my settings for scanning PUPs and Scan All files and we can see they are both UNCHECKED. Which btw, is what we would expect since I've NEVER changed any scanning settings for Avast at ANY TIME and "unchecked" is the DEFAULT setting.

Here is the contents of my Virus Chest and as we can see it contains the PUP application "EndProcess.exe".

So I guess we can now say we HAVE seen an "instance of this" at this time.

And I guess since there is no explanation I'd have to conclude Avast DOES scan for PUPs even with the settings set to NOT scan for PUPs apparently.

Thanks for all the help David, I can deal with the scanning conundrum by "excluding" the program as you had suggested. 

That said, it is bewildering however that this is occurring in the first place however.  And of course your assumption in the past that people have changed the scanning "default" settings that produced this phenomena is apparently not the answer in at least some and probably most cases.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2012, 04:21:00 AM by lakrsrool »

Offline lakrsrool

• Advanced Poster
  • Get the Picture !
« Reply #27 on: July 13, 2012, 07:23:08 AM »
^ David,

I hope you've read my post above for context.  After I posted that I thought of something.  Going over exactly what happened: I did a FULL SYSTEM SCAN which found the first item listed in the Virus Chest (arg178012.exe).  After the "FULL SCAN" I was recommended by Avast to do a "boot scan" (called something like that), so I said "OK" to that and Avast did a scan on boot-up which found a number of problems one of which apparently was the second item in the Virus Chest "EndProcess.exe".  (I'm not sure why more things didn't show up in the Virus Chest because there were a lot of problems found on the "boot-up scan").  I had been asked what to do on one of the items found and I requested it be moved to the Virus Chest.  After that I was asked again but it did not seem to do anything so I said to "delete" items instead.  One way or the other I ended up with the "EndProcess.exe" in my Virus Chest along with the other item found on the regular "Full System Scan" earlier.

So I was wondering if the "boot-up scan" that Avast does might actually check PUPs even though this type of scan is UNCHECKED.   Possibly for THIS specific type of scan IS UNIQUE (boot-up scan) thus the settings are ignored and ALL Files are scanned even if this option is NOT CHECKED.

Is this possible?
« Last Edit: July 13, 2012, 07:24:59 AM by lakrsrool »

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
« Reply #28 on: July 13, 2012, 07:31:43 AM »
i was just about to ask about that yesterday   sure it was a full scan and not a bootscan....anyway that explains it..... in Boot Scan PUP is default ON.

(I'm not sure why more things didn't show up in the Virus Chest because there were a lot of problems found on the "boot-up scan")
what things......scan errors...if so they are not detections so have nothing to do in the chest

Offline lakrsrool

• Advanced Poster
  • Get the Picture !
« Reply #29 on: July 13, 2012, 08:26:58 AM »
So then you are saying that on "boot scans" the PUP setting is ignored even if unchecked and PUPs are always scanned for?

I don't recall what all the stuff that was listed was but there were a whole bunch of messages during the "boot scan" that appeared to me to be problems with my computer in some way or another.  If this is recorded anywhere I'll be happy to produce it.

I recall that I was asked what to do and I replied with "move to chest" but then I was later asked again and requested the same thing be done but for some reason I concluded that this was not the correct response so I replied with "delete".  There was way to much information for me to recall because it was numerous message lines that displayed during the entire scan and I don't recall why I changed my reply either.

All I can know for sure is my Virus Chest ended up with what you see there in my attachments.

I have attached to Scan Logs.

I am unable to attach the specific "boot scan" because of size constraints so I'll post this on my next post.