Author Topic: Please Help!!!  (Read 1873 times)

akp89

Please Help!!!
« on: August 26, 2010, 02:15:58 AM »
Hello

I no longer have the explorer.exe file.

I am wondering if there is a way to restore the windows explorer without having to reinstall the entire windows package, as i have an HP Mini and no CD drive.

My computer was infected with Bamital X.

I have malwarebytes and avast and CCleaner among other antivirus and spyware remover tools I have tried.

I have run across forums telling users to use ComboFix and a program called OTL?

i am not sure if i have run combofix correctly, but so far nothing has worked.

"run," "explorer.exe" does  not work as the explorer.exe file, I assume, is completely gone from my system.

:(

Can someone help get my system back in running order???

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: Please Help!!!
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2010, 02:38:44 AM »
I suggest:

1. Clean your temporary files.
2. Schedule a boot time scanning with avast with archive scanning turned on. If avast does not detect it, you can try DrWeb CureIT! instead.
3. Use MBAM (or SUPERantispyware or even Spyware Terminator) to scan for spywares and trojans. If any infection is detected, it is better and safer to send the infected file(s) to quarantine (Chest), rather than simply deleting them.
4. Test your machine with anti-rootkit applications. I suggest avast! antirootkit or Trend Micro RootkitBuster.
5. Make a HijackThis log to post here or this analysis site. Or even submit the RunScanner log to to on-line analysis.
6. Clean your Hosts file (replacing it) with HostsMan tool.
7. Disable System Restore and then reenable it again.
8. Immunize your system with SpywareBlaster.
9. Check if you have insecure applications with Secunia Software Inspector.

For the explorer.exe file, maybe you can copy it from another computer running the same Windows as yours.
The best things in life are free.

SafeSurf

Re: Please Help!!!
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2010, 08:35:29 AM »

My computer was infected with Bamital X.
Questions:
A. What is your OS, 32 or 64-bit?
B. What other security software do you have on your machine currently or in the past (including antivirus, firewall, other security programs besides MBAM)?
C. What product of Avast do you have (Free, Pro, AIS)?
D. What version of Avast do you have?  5.0.594 is the latest version.
E. Have you run an Avast FULL scan yet?  Clean or not?  Anything in the Virus Chest?  If so, please give a screen shot or type exactly the contents.

Recommendations:
1. Run CCleaner first.
2. Please update MBAM, then copy and paste your MBAM log to your next post..  Make sure if it detects something, you put it in quarantine.
3. Create an OTL log: http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=53253.0 - scroll down past MBAM and you will see how to create an OTL log; click on the red "OTL" to get the download to the file.

- Post your MBAM log (copy and paste) and response to the above questions first. 
- Then run the OTL logs and Attach them to the next post: click the "Additional Options" button in the post window > click "Attach" > click browse (your OTL logs should be on your desktop) > post (there should be 2 files).  Thank you.