Author Topic: Avast 5 Free: Scanning  (Read 10444 times)

Offline HPY

• hpy
Avast 5 Free: Scanning
« on: August 27, 2010, 09:23:51 AM »
Using the Avast 5 Free Version, I wondered what you would recommend as an optimal weekly Scan: Quick Scan, Full Scan, or Custom Scan?

Looking at Quick and Full Settings I notice that under Packers, the default seems to be restricted to 3 Packers and recommends a Custom Scan to include the rest. Is the default Setting adequate, or which Setting would you recommend for the weekly Scan using Custom? If so what Settings for Custom Scan do you recommend?

The reason I ask is that although I don't tend to surf dangerously, of the 4 security measures running on my laptop, whenever something really nasty tries to download, AVAST is the one to raise the alarm :  Threatfire reacts to some things that Avast misses usually FPs, pre-installed Windows Defender also works quietly in the background but never reacts to anything important, the Free version of SuperAntiSpyware which I activate for its scan catches only harmless cookies.

A good example was: I inadvertently  downloaded something called the YouTube Downloader Bar with an update of the YouTube Downloader, which obviously must have contained a “sleeper” because some days later, whenever it tried to activate itself Avast told me loud and clear and blocked the process. Threatfire wasn't aware of it, nor did my regular SAS quick scan show it. I immediately ran an Avast Quick Scan and located this  YouTube Downloader Bar, and although it would not open it, repair it or send it to the Chest, it enabled me to simply delete it.

Back to my question – Avast is the best gear I have had as a first line of defence (I am wondering whether to junk Threatfire and SAS), but would like your opinion on the best Scan to scan for any other “sleepers” that may have come in under the radar.
windows 10 version 1809 (Build 17763.195) 64 bit home - ACER Aspire 17 SSD  Processor Pentium CPU N4200 @ 1.10 GHz. - HD graphics - 4GB RAM -
Avast free. Windows Defender. Malwarebytes free scan.

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
Re: Avast 5 Free: Scanning
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2010, 09:34:50 AM »
after i installed it, i did a full scan with default settings. After that i activated the screensaver scan and thats it......but that`s me....
OBS: the default settings on the screensaver scan is " lop " i removed that...

Back to my question – Avast is the best gear I have had as a first line of defence (I am wondering whether to junk Threatfire and SAS), but would like your opinion on the best Scan to scan for any other “sleepers” that may have come in under the radar.
I use MalwarebytesPRO and SAS
« Last Edit: August 27, 2010, 09:54:05 AM by Pondus »

Offline HPY

• hpy
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2010, 01:26:28 PM »
"screensaver scan"? Never saw that.  Does the free version have this - where is it?
windows 10 version 1809 (Build 17763.195) 64 bit home - ACER Aspire 17 SSD  Processor Pentium CPU N4200 @ 1.10 GHz. - HD graphics - 4GB RAM -

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2010, 01:39:30 PM »
"screensaver scan"? Never saw that.  Does the free version have this - where is it?
Yes. Setting > Basic > Special scans
Then go to Scan folder and configure it :)
The best things in life are free.

Offline HPY

• hpy
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2010, 01:48:21 PM »
 Basic > Special scans>  Screen Saver scan -- With you now. I was on the scan interface not the "front page " Settings. There is no Start button so presumably it starts when in Low energy or screen saver mode?

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2010, 02:08:20 PM »
 :)

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2010, 02:09:14 PM »
There is no Start button so presumably it starts when in Low energy or screen saver mode
It start scanning when the screensaver start

Offline HPY

• hpy
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2010, 02:19:42 PM »
Tech and Pondus - thanks. I have set it to Full sensitivity. I suppose screensaver mode is as energy saving as low power mode.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2010, 02:35:17 PM »
I suppose screensaver mode is as energy saving as low power mode.
What do you mean?

Offline HPY

• hpy
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2010, 02:59:49 PM »
Reply Tech,

This Vista laptop of mine was bought in Germany. In the shut-down menu you have the option "Energie sparen = low energy or Sleep mode" or something. I thought that this was perhaps the same as when the cummputer goes into Screensave-mode when you leave it on in your absence.

GloobyGoob

« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2010, 03:05:32 PM »
Hi HPY,

Generally, it is recommended to do a full scan monthly. You don't have to go as far as scanning weekly, that's a bit overkill and unnecessary. Avast focuses more on prevention than the cure, but there has been cases where a virus slips through and gets caught with a manual scan because there wasn't a virus definition in the database at that time, so it's just to make sure. Install Malwarebytes to backup avast. If you stay away from the computer long enough for the screensaver scan to finish then you could use that instead. As for the scan settings, the avast! Team has recommended you use the default settings.

Offline bob3160

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • 64 Years of Happiness
    • bob3160 Protecting Yourself, Your Computer and, Your Identity
« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2010, 04:28:26 PM »
Generally, it is recommended to do a full scan monthly.
???
If you do a boot scan right after you've first installed avast!, and your system has been confirmed as clean.
a full scan really isn't needed at all since avast! scan'a all files added ,opened, transferred, etc. to your system. IMHO.
Once Clean, your system should remain clean.  :)  (There are a few possible exceptions but the normal on demand scanning would still pick up these exceptions.)
Free Security Seminar: https://bit.ly/bobg2023  -  Important: http://www.organdonor.gov/ -- My Web Site: http://bob3160.strikingly.com/ - Win 11 Pro v22H2 64bit, 16 Gig Ram, 1TB SSD, Avast Free 23.5.6066, How to Successfully Install Avast http://goo.gl/VLXdeRepair & Clean Install https://goo.gl/t7aJGq -- My Online Activity https://bit.ly/BobGInternet

Offline HPY

• hpy
« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2010, 04:59:27 PM »
GloobyGoob and Bob

because there wasn't a virus definition in the database at that time, so it's just to make sure. Install Malwarebytes to backup avast.

Yes. the thing was as I said in my original post this YouTube Bar-thingie stuck a "sleeper" in my system. Whenever it tried to activate itself Avast stopped it. Still, I had to run an Avast  scan to find it.
SAS scan was no help at all. Is Malwarebytes more effective? I will consider Malwarebytes as lomng as it can sit passively until called upon, like SAS.

Thanks all!

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2010, 05:03:18 PM »
This Vista laptop of mine was bought in Germany. In the shut-down menu you have the option "Energie sparen = low energy or Sleep mode" or something. I thought that this was perhaps the same as when the cummputer goes into Screensave-mode when you leave it on in your absence.
This has to do with saving energy so your battery last longer, i have turned of all saving when in power mode

If you stay away from the computer long enough for the screensaver scan to finish then you could use that instead.
If the screensaver scan is interupted, it will continue where it stopped when it is starting again. ( new in avast 5. I think Igor said this in a post if i remember correct )
« Last Edit: August 27, 2010, 05:08:19 PM by Pondus »

Offline HPY

• hpy
« Reply #14 on: August 27, 2010, 05:27:49 PM »
Guys -

I could express myself a lot quicker (and therefore contribute more) if someone could tell me how to make screenshots.

PS - have just installed Malwarebytes and started a Quick Scan  and within seconds it found 2 Infected Files in the Registry. Hope these are not Fps or vital parts of Windows??