Author Topic: Avast 5 Free: Scanning  (Read 10443 times)

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
Re: Avast 5 Free: Scanning
« Reply #15 on: August 27, 2010, 05:34:35 PM »
I could express myself a lot quicker (and therefore contribute more) if someone could tell me how to make screenshots.
I think Bob posted a How to guide somwhere in here.....

PS - have just installed Malwarebytes and started a Quick Scan  and within seconds it found 2 Infected Files in the Registry. Hope these are not Fps or vital parts of Windows??
If you post the Scan log, somone can tell you

Offline HPY

• hpy
« Reply #16 on: August 27, 2010, 05:42:55 PM »
Pondus - OK:

MALWAREBYTES:

"Registry Keys Infected:
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\dnscache.dnscacheobj (Trojan.BHO) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\dnscache.dnscacheobj.1 (Trojan.BHO) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware 1.46
www.malwarebytes.org

Database version: 4489

Windows 6.0.6002 Service Pack 2
Internet Explorer 7.0.6002.18005

27.08.2010 17:38:37
mbam-log-2010-08-27 (17-38-37).txt

Scan type: Quick scan
Objects scanned: 138304
Time elapsed: 9 minute(s), 29 second(s)

Memory Processes Infected: 0
Memory Modules Infected: 0
Registry Keys Infected: 2
Registry Values Infected: 0
Registry Data Items Infected: 0
Folders Infected: 0
Files Infected: 0

Memory Processes Infected:
(No malicious items detected)

Memory Modules Infected:

Registry Keys Infected:
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\dnscache.dnscacheobj (Trojan.BHO) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\dnscache.dnscacheobj.1 (Trojan.BHO) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

Registry Values Infected:

Registry Data Items Infected:

Folders Infected:

Files Infected:
windows 10 version 1809 (Build 17763.195) 64 bit home - ACER Aspire 17 SSD  Processor Pentium CPU N4200 @ 1.10 GHz. - HD graphics - 4GB RAM -
Avast free. Windows Defender. Malwarebytes free scan.

Offline HPY

• hpy
« Reply #17 on: August 27, 2010, 06:15:28 PM »
Pondus -

I think I will ditch SuperAntiSpyware, In the 6 months I have used it (about once every 2 weeks) it only came up with harmless cookies. It is deadweight on the hard disk compared to this Malwarebytes jugging by what the latter found and what SAS overlooked. I always thought SAS and their other products even LOOKED tacky. I only installed it because one of our "Überevangelists" suggested it.
windows 10 version 1809 (Build 17763.195) 64 bit home - ACER Aspire 17 SSD  Processor Pentium CPU N4200 @ 1.10 GHz. - HD graphics - 4GB RAM -

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #18 on: August 27, 2010, 07:33:39 PM »
I could express myself a lot quicker (and therefore contribute more) if someone could tell me how to make screenshots.

PS - have just installed Malwarebytes and started a Quick Scan  and within seconds it found 2 Infected Files in the Registry. Hope these are not Fps or vital parts of Windows??

- When you click the Reply button, there is an Additional Options link, this expands the options to attach a file, that can be an image file or a text file (.log or .txt). Also see How to post an Image.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline HPY

• hpy
« Reply #19 on: August 27, 2010, 07:46:33 PM »
David - thanks

As you can see in my above post, this Trojan.BHO found its way into the Registry and was probably wiating for me to do some online banking. Malwarebytes dealt with it. SuperAntiSpyware never picked it up. I think it may be linked to the trojan that got in through the YouTube Downloader Bar, which only Avast blocked but did not repair (could not open the file so I deleted it).

I will ditch SuperAntiSpyware.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #20 on: August 27, 2010, 08:03:19 PM »
Personally I wouldn't ditch either as they compliment each other (as you will see from my signature) If you have one as resident or both as on demand (then they aren't heavy on resources).

I have used both for ages and a) I don't have SAS scan for cookies and b) I don't really expect either to detect anything.

SAS has features not in MBAM and vice versa, I haven't had a live detection by MBAM but I have had a number of false positives.

A trojan doesn't find its way into registry, it is just an entry in the registry and if you don't use IE BHOs are a moot point, there is no BHO function in firefox, opera or chrome.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

YoKenny

« Reply #21 on: August 27, 2010, 08:21:29 PM »
Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware 1.46
www.malwarebytes.org

Database version: 4489

Windows 6.0.6002 Service Pack 2
Internet Explorer 7.0.6002.18005
Internet Exporer has been updated to V8 and is much better and has been available since March 18, 2009.
Increased performance
Internet Explorer 8 includes many performance improvements that contribute to a faster, more responsive web browsing experience in the areas that matter most.
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/internet-explorer/features/faster.aspx

Stay Safer Online
The Internet has enhanced our lives in nearly every way. However, as more of the things we do every day depend on the Internet, online crime has risen in turn.
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/internet-explorer/features/safer.aspx

Snipping Tool is available for Vista and Windows 7
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-vista/Use-Snipping-Tool-to-capture-screen-shots
« Last Edit: August 27, 2010, 08:24:48 PM by YoKenny »

maugrimx

« Reply #22 on: August 27, 2010, 08:27:05 PM »
a friend of mine had a computer wich was heavily infected and slow so i installed superantispyware on it and other than tracking cookies it detected 3 rootkits and 1 browserhijacker. the computer also had avast wich detected malware now and then, but it missed the 3 rootkits and the browserhijacker. after deleting what superantispyware found then the computer was not so slow anymore.
so in my opinion superantispyware is a good addition to avast  :)

Offline HPY

• hpy
« Reply #23 on: August 27, 2010, 08:45:48 PM »
Personally I wouldn't ditch either as they compliment each other (as you will see from my signature) If you have one as resident or both as on demand (then they aren't heavy on resources).

I have used both for ages and a) I don't have SAS scan for cookies and b) I don't really expect either to detect anything.

SAS has features not in MBAM and vice versa, I haven't had a live detection by MBAM but I have had a number of false positives.

A trojan doesn't find its way into registry, it is just an entry in the registry and if you don't use IE BHOs are a moot point, there is no BHO function in firefox, opera or chrome.

Interesting. I use Firefox (with ABP and NS) although another poster said that it too could be at risk.
Avast however did neutralise the threat (but not repair)  that was coming from this YouTube Downloader Bar which may have pinged something into the Registry which is why it was still there after I had deleted YouTube Downloader Bar which was sitting in Programs next to, but not within  YouTube Downloader. The point may be that it was still a potentially serious threat and therefore should not have been there (yet none of the others including Avast were seeing it). Hence my enthusiasm for MBAM .

*a) "I don't have SAS scan for cookies"  -- I always did the standard Quick Scan but Cookies it did indeed find.

*Maugrimx - "it detected 3 rootkits and 1 browserhijacker. the computer also had avast wich detected malware now and then, but it missed the 3 rootkits and the browserhijacker."

Thanks both - maybe I should keep both in reserve, although I do not actually know that SAS and MBAM compliment each other.

Yes a quick Scan occasionally by both makes sense.

YoKenny

« Reply #24 on: August 27, 2010, 08:55:09 PM »
@ HPY

As you have nothing in your signature its hard for the helpers to offer help.

I have not had SAS since I purchased MBAM ages ago.

DavidR has good information in his sigature.  8)

Offline HPY

• hpy
« Reply #25 on: August 27, 2010, 09:15:09 PM »
YoKenny - you are right - is there a slick way of adding your signature?
I could go to My Profile and list the details although  copying and pasting doesn't work.

I have MBAM and SAS both free and ThreatFire free.

YoKenny

« Reply #26 on: August 28, 2010, 12:07:09 AM »
Please go to PROFILE then Modify Profile then Forum Profile Information then Signature: and put information about your system just like my signature about your system just like my signature so that the helpers can offer pertinent advice.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #27 on: August 28, 2010, 12:48:15 AM »
<Snip>
- is there a slick way of adding your signature?
I could go to My Profile and list the details although  copying and pasting doesn't work.
<Snip>

Copy and paste should work provided you don't exceed the maximum number of characters.

I have just confirmed it by trying to add the above sentence to my existing signature. It didn't fail but it did run out of space, it would have exceeded the 300 character limit, so the last part isn't copied, see image.