Author Topic: Newbie Help:avast and ebay?  (Read 3959 times)

RADAR630

Newbie Help:avast and ebay?
« on: August 09, 2004, 02:44:14 AM »
A friend of mine had  WINVIEW2 and PSW.TOFGER on his computer. AVG6.xx did not detect them(I suspect he did not update it since installing it). I had him install avast, scan and delete the virus(s). AVAST found and removed them. The problem is now E-BAY.COM(He uses it as his start page), does not fully load up. Any IDEAS?  
If this is not the right forum, I apologise...

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
Re:Newbie Help:avast and ebay?
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2004, 02:55:19 AM »
1) Close the browser. IE?
2) Delete all temporary files
3) Delete all IE cache files
4) Delete all cookies
5) Also try another browser like Opera or Firefox and see if they are able to fully load the page. This will tell if it is IE or not that is causing this.

RADAR630

« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2004, 03:08:44 AM »
Sorry, I should have mentioned that everything worked fine with Firefox. Also we deleted all temp files, cookies etc...  Unfortunetly his mother and wife also use this computer, and are not willing to use another browser.
I compared the security and privacy settings with my comp. which works fine. Everything is the same. Other than E-BAY's home page not loading correctly, everything works fine. The computer is up to date with ALL windows updates(minus SP2)

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2004, 03:11:37 AM »
Have visit E-Bay, wait till the page is loaded or doesn't load any further. Then hold down shift and at the same time click refresh. This will force IE to load the page again from the server. See if that solves it.

Also check out this link.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2004, 03:15:24 AM by Eddy »

RADAR630

« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2004, 03:21:08 AM »
I had him try it, didn't work.

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2004, 03:31:23 AM »
Make sure everything I mentioned in my first post is deleted. Also remove everything from 'downloaded program files' and 'temp' in the windows folder. Then try again. If you think it is IE that is damaged, here is a page that explains how to repair/reinstall. (taken that he uses XP)

RADAR630

« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2004, 03:47:04 AM »
Thanks for the help. My friend has to be at work at 5am. He's calling it a night. Ive been relaying this thru the phone. I'll walk him thru re-installing ie, and go from there. Thanks again!

CharleyO

« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2004, 04:35:20 AM »

You might also try using Internet Sweeper to rid your computer of unseen cached files that may be causing you this problem.

It is a free program from http://www.bmesite.com/ and will not do any harm even if it does not correct your problem. You will gain much hard drive space if nothing else.