Author Topic: avast 5.0  (Read 2825 times)

baitman

avast 5.0
« on: August 28, 2010, 02:22:08 AM »
Noobe here,
I am using avast 4.8 would like to known if it will update to 5.0 using windown 98SE setting the update to automatic???? ???

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
Re: avast 5.0
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2010, 02:30:24 AM »
Sorry, avast 5 does not work on W98

Offline Tarq57

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • If at first you don’t succeed; call it version 1.0
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2010, 05:07:28 AM »
Support for Avast 4.8 is likely to be withdrawn around the end of this year.
There is no point in attempting to update the program on your computer, just the database. The new program will not work in '98.

Not many AV's actually will work in W'98, I think Clam might be one (demand scanner only), if it does, maybe you could use Spyware Terminator which can optionally have Clam active, to use as a line of defense.

There might be a handful of pay-for options that support W98 for a time yet; I don't really know. In the absence of a resident AV working, once support for Avast 4.8 is withdrawn, your options start to become a little limited, I'm afraid, and basically involve not connecting the computer to the internet, or making sure that if you do connect you have a good backup strategy to restore the computer in the event of infection + NOT having any files (bank accounts/passwords/personal pictures etc) on the computer, and/or using a demand scanner like Clam periodically to remove infections.
Windows 10,Windows Firewall,Firefox w/Adblock.

baitman

« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2010, 02:25:02 PM »
Thanks all for your input, it look like a sad day is coming soon for me unless I update the O/S.. :(

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2010, 03:50:54 PM »
There is Norman Virus Control, it will run on W98......but it is not free, and i think the support will end with the year 2011
http://store.norman.com/DRHM/store?Action=DisplayProductDetailsPage&SiteID=norman&Locale=en_US&Env=BASE&productID=95583000

Offline RejZoR

• Polymorphic Sheep
  • Serious Graphoman
  • We are supersheep, resistance is futile!
    • RejZoR's Flock of Sheep
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2010, 04:11:21 PM »
Makes you wonder why want to stick with Win98 in the first place. It's 2010 after all, 12 years after the release of Win98. It's time for this ancient architecture to just die. I don't mind WinXP sticking around for another 20 years if needed, but Win9x just must die.
Mostly because everything from MS today is build on NT technology. Even Win7. Win9x was not.
Visit my webpage Angry Sheep Blog

Aethec

« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2010, 05:03:03 PM »
Makes you wonder why want to stick with Win98 in the first place. It's 2010 after all, 12 years after the release of Win98. It's time for this ancient architecture to just die. I don't mind WinXP sticking around for another 20 years if needed, but Win9x just must die.
Mostly because everything from MS today is build on NT technology. Even Win7. Win9x was not.

I think a lot of developpers would mind if XP was still used in 20 years. All modern Windows versions are built on the NT kernel, but XP is old technology.
But...keeping Win98 now ? Unless you are really short on money, you should buy a new computer...