Author Topic: NEWSBIN CONNECTION PROBLEMS  (Read 8728 times)

666mafia10

NEWSBIN CONNECTION PROBLEMS
« on: August 28, 2010, 04:59:39 AM »
I AM RECEIVING THE FOLLOWING MESSAGE IN MY STAUS PAGE

08/27/2010 22:58:52 SERVER=Super_News, MSG=Error talking to Server: 502 concurrent connection limit in avast! exceeded(pass:0, processes:nbpro.exe[50])

PLEASE HELP!

SafeSurf

Re: NEWSBIN CONNECTION PROBLEMS
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2010, 07:11:06 AM »
Welcome to the forum.  :)  Often times when someone is having difficulty with an AV it may be due to other things.  So let's trouble shoot to see what is going on.  First I need to know the following:

1.   What is your OS, 32 or 64-bit?
2.   What version of Avast did you install?  5.0.594? 
3.   What product of Avast did you install?  Free, Pro, AIS?
4.   What other security software do you currently have or did you have in the past on this machine including antivirus (AV), firewall (FW), and other security programs (resident and on-demand)?  If they were in the past, how did you remove them (the vendor's uninstaller's tool or another way)?
5.   Are your MS Updates (if you have Windows) current?
6.   Are the Avast definitions (updates) current?
7.   When was the last time you did any kind of scan in Avast, and if so what kind of scan was it and was it clean?

I'm sorry for all the questions, but this will help identify issues that are causing problems.  Thank you.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2010, 03:00:50 PM »
The problem is nbpro.exe is taking all the 50 connections and avast's Mail Shield can't connect to filter mail and news traffic.

In 4.8 there was a way of increasing the concurrent connection limit, but I suspect doing this will just mean nbpro.exe will grab the increased number of connections.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2010, 03:14:11 PM »
Update, just found the info which I need to modify for avast5 as it has an ini file for the mail shield:
If you want to try increasing the concurrent connections limit try this.

By editing the EmailShield.ini file using notepad, "C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Alwil Software\Avast5\EmailShield.ini." This is for windows XP, the location will differe for Vista/Win7.

Find the [MailScanner] section and insert a new line after the section heading, and enter this MaxConnections=75 (if that line exists you can change the value to 75). Save the changes, the avast self-defence will ask if it is OK answer yes.
[MailScanner]
MaxConnections=75

Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

paydepst

« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2011, 01:30:52 AM »
I'm currently having this issue as well. I am using Avast Free Antivirus 5.1.889 and whenever I start downloading .nzb files with Unzbin this message starts popping up. I can get around it by disabling Avast but surely there must be a way to get the two programs to cooperate.

When I open the EmailShield.ini file in Avast this is what I have--

[EmailScanner]
Accounts=giganews.com:giganews.com(NNTP)-SSL(563)
SuppressSslWarning=giganews.com:NNTP
DetectUnprotectedSSL=1
ScanInbound=1
ScanNews=1
ScanOutbound=1

[Common]
ProviderEnabled=1

As you can see there is no MailScanner section. Am I supposed to create one? After I do that should I then quit and restart Avast?

paydepst

« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2011, 04:07:46 AM »
Anyone care to comment?

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2011, 04:42:18 AM »
First it would have been helpful if you posted the full text of the error as the original poster did.

If your problem relates to exceeding max connections.
- then you should follow the instructions above your post by modifying the emailshield.ini and adding the extra line entry mentioned; then hopefully that should resolve your issue if it is exactly the same.

paydepst

« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2011, 10:45:49 AM »
Sorry the reason I didn't post it was because it was exactly the same message. I should have been clearer about that I suppose.

So do I need to insert the following two lines then--

[MailScanner]
MaxConnections=75

and then restart Avast?