Author Topic: Crashing on Sleep in Win 7 Since Upgrade  (Read 5859 times)

gitarslinger

Crashing on Sleep in Win 7 Since Upgrade
« on: July 27, 2010, 07:15:42 PM »
I'm running Win 7 on a new HP laptop.  Immediately on powering it up, I uninstalled the preconfigured Norton Antivirus and installed Avast! free version.  No troubles.

A few days ago, I upgraded to the full paid Avast! 5.  I uninstalled the free version completely and reinstalled from scratch.  Since then, the computer responds to sleep mode by either freezing (black screen) or shutting down abruptly.  Upon restarting, I get the "windows was not shut down properly" message.  After completing a normal boot, windows offers to search for a solution to the problem, but returns no results.  Thanks, Bill.

In order to isolate the problem as relating to the sleep function, I changed the power settings to "never" for sleep mode while the unit is plugged in.  I now have no problem with the unit plugged in.  When running unplugged on the old settings, the computer continues to shut down when sleep mode attempts to activate.

I saw one other post on this forum about this problem, but no explanation or solution was offered.  Any ideas?  I like Avast! much better than the Trendmicro I've run on other computers, but this is annoying.

Jim

Hermite15

Re: Crashing on Sleep in Win 7 Since Upgrade
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2010, 07:23:43 PM »
no crashing here but no internet during 15s up to 1min when resuming from sleep mode. AIS firewall was responsible for that. I reported it many weeks ago; version after version the issue never got solved (Avast team say they can't reproduce) so I just don't use this firewall anymore.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2010, 07:25:41 PM by Logos »

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2010, 08:08:30 PM »
Even it was removed before, try the tool.

The Norton Removal Tool uninstalls all Norton 2003-2010 products from your computer.

1) (If possible) Remove Symantec products through Add/Remove programs from Control Panel. Boot.
2) Use Norton Removal Tool for Windows 2000/XP/Vista/7 or Norton Removal Tool for Windows 98/Me. Boot.
3) Install avast! (or repair the installation) and boot.
The best things in life are free.

gitarslinger

« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2010, 05:43:22 AM »
Originally removed Norton with add/remove programs.  Ran Norton remove tool today.  Restarted.  Checked problem by closing lid to enter sleep mode.  Froze.

Uninstalled Avast.  Restarted.  Checked problem by closing lid to enter sleep mode.  Entered sleep mode successfully.

Reinstalled Avast.  Restarted.  Checked problem again.  Froze.

Any thoughts?

I should add that I think I'm now running the full version in trial mode rather than the free d/l version.  I haven't tested reinstalling the free d/l to see if sleep mode still works with it.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2010, 05:55:40 AM by gitarslinger »

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2010, 12:00:21 PM »
Does "full paid avast!" mean avast! Pro, or avast! Internet Security?

gitarslinger

« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2010, 04:59:28 PM »
Internet Security. 

Hermite15

« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2010, 05:01:03 PM »
Internet Security. 

so again, try to turn the firewall off, and see what it brings...

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2010, 05:07:10 PM »
Any chance you use Cisco VPN client?

gitarslinger

« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2010, 05:31:56 PM »
No VPN at all.  No configuring so far beyond removing Norton and installing Avast, iTunes, Photoshop, Corel Photopaint, and activating Office 2007. Oh, and MS Flight Simulator X.  No problem until I upgraded to Avast Internet Security from the free download version. 

mrbob54

« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2010, 11:56:41 PM »
I have the exact same problem. Has avast come out with a fix for this?