Author Topic: Avast UI Slow  (Read 3184 times)

Zythan

Avast UI Slow
« on: August 28, 2010, 01:09:39 PM »
Hello,

I have installed avast 5.0.594 on my system, and I find that the UI is slow, for example, if, I click on the tool bar icon  it can take 2 - 3 minutes to show the avast screen.

Also if I choose a an option in the settings screen, then click on OK, it can also take 2 - 3 minutes before the avast UI is refreshed.

This only happens once in any windows session, that is the first time I enter the UI things are slow, after that the UI reacts quickly.

Any ideas about this.

I am running XP SP3 on an Athlon 2.2Ghz 2Gb ram.

Regards.

swarnava

Re: Avast UI Slow
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2010, 06:47:58 PM »
always clean your temporary files and prefetch data also delete cookies evry time..make some free space in drive c..use ccleaner for clean temporary files

YoKenny

« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2010, 07:37:14 PM »
Its NOT a good idea to clean prefetch data! 

One more time: do not clean out your Prefetch folder!
http://www.edbott.com/weblog/2005/06/one-more-time-do-not-clean-out-your-prefetch-folder

@ Zythan

What is running on your system?

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2010, 08:44:07 PM »
You will gain very little in the way of disk space as the pre-fetch doesn't have copies of the actual files, just information on where they are on the dick to speed loading on boot.

All you will achieve is to slow the boot for a period of time until it recreates the info in the pre-fetch folder (normally 3 or more boots).
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Zythan

« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2010, 09:03:13 PM »
@ Zythan

What is running on your system?

Hello,

When I click on the icon in the systray, nothing.

I logon onto to the PC (which is in a W2K3 domain) with a domain admin account, then even if I leave the PC to run for five minutes (so that there are no domain parameters being applied, etc.), when I click on the icon and/or the desktop short cut it takes time to shown the screen.

I have noticed that if I have Firefox opened (just so that I can reply to this post), if I click on one the the "<" or ">" icons, things are slow, doing an "Alt+Tab" a couple of times, the avast screen is white with the Windows classic type window and none of the graphics of the usual screen. avast would appear to be very busy.

Zythan.