Author Topic: My 4.8 Avast  (Read 3811 times)

Sales100

My 4.8 Avast
« on: August 29, 2010, 06:17:22 PM »
I have Avast 4.8 which a friend put on her almost a year ago.  If I close my computer down completely, it takes over an 1/2 hour for the providers to come up.  The fist 4 come up almost immediately, but to get to the 6 (always says 7 providers, 6 running), it takes forever.  What is wrong.  It is coming up for renewal in Dec. and I am already getting pop ups about the new 5.0, both free and extra protection, at a a discounted price.  I don't want to cras my computer I am very scared.  Should I install or what?  Please reply ASAP

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
Re: My 4.8 Avast
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2010, 07:04:34 PM »
what AV did you have before avast ? was it fully removed using a removal tool ?
removal tools can be found here http://uninstallers.blogspot.com/
when was the last time you did a clean-up and a disk defrag ?
CCleaner http://www.piriform.com/ccleaner/builds ( scroll down to the slim - no toolbar )
Defraggler  http://www.piriform.com/defraggler/builds ( scroll down to the slim - no toolbar )

and yes i would install the new avast 5

I would also check for malware with this

Malwarebytes Anti-Malware 1.46 http://filehippo.com/download_malwarebytes_anti_malware/
always run update before you scan so you have the latest database
click the remove selected button to quarantine anything found
you may post the log here
« Last Edit: August 29, 2010, 07:13:26 PM by Pondus »

Sales100

« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2010, 08:59:32 PM »
Would I have to remove the 4.8 avast before upgrading to the 5.0?  Some of what you replied to me is actually "over my head."  I think I mentioned that MSN tried removing it  in several ways including the special site for it.  Does it mean that something is wrong with the provider info I gave you?
Thanks,
Christine

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2010, 09:05:54 PM »
When correctly installed and running, avast 5 should be up some seconds after boot.
In my normal booting, it took some seconds.
If you have a peak, you'll know you've have problems.
The best things in life are free.

Sales100

« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2010, 11:06:53 PM »
Are you talking about my 4.8 should come up right after booting or the new version of 5.0 which I haven't uploaded yet - since I am very wary about what to do.  Excuse my ignorance about some things on the computer but was does a peak mean in computer language.  Why do you think the Avast 4.8 wouldn't install when two people at MSN tried, they even used the aswclear.  I notice you have to do this is safe mode, maybe they didn't.  Is the safe mode the F8 key.  It says press repeatedly and run the avast uninstall tool.  Does this mean AFTER you hit the F8 key several time, or while hitting it.  Excuse my ignorance on this.  I just want to get my anti-virus running correctly.  Do you think the free version is sufficient.  Is there a number to call for assistanct, that you know of, to help install or update. Also how do I find out if the 4.8 was installed right in the first place.  I have a registration key, it keeps "saying" Avast just installed a new version, or update.  Is the provider number right, seven providers, 6 running?
Thanks so much for your help.
I am a school teacher and don't want to lose all my files, etc.  Not to menton pictues, etc.
I am going to buy a laptop computer and hope I will get support.
Sincerely,
christine

Sincerely

Offline Tarq57

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • If at first you don’t succeed; call it version 1.0
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2010, 12:44:39 AM »
Hi Sales100.

We could probably troubleshoot your Avast 4.8 installation, maybe get it working correctly (or your computer working correctly..there might be something not quite right with it)  but there is not much point, as support for the version of Avast you are using will expire around the end of the year, most likely.

It would be better to install the latest version. It comes in free, pro, and a security suite. The latter two are paid-for items.

The indication is that for one reason or another (could be a software setup, malicious files, or simply an old computer that's a bit underpowered) your computer isn't working correctly; it shouldn't take that long for the Avast protection to come up. That's what I meant in the first paragraph.

Let us know what you want to do, and I can provide simple step-by-step instructions.
Windows 10,Windows Firewall,Firefox w/Adblock.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2010, 03:26:20 AM »
I just want to get my anti-virus running correctly.
I suggest an installation from scratch:

1. Download the latest version of avast! Uninstall Utility and save it.
2. Download the latest avast! version and save it.
3. Uninstall avast from Control Panel (if possible). If, for any reason, you can't run it, try booting in Safe Mode and doing it from there. Anyway, boot after that.
4. Run the avast! Uninstall Utility saved on 1. If, for any reason, you can't run it, try booting in Safe Mode and doing it from there. Anyway, boot after you've run it.
5. Install avast! using the setup saved on 2. Boot.
6. Register your free copy or add the license key for Pro.
7. Check and post the results.

Do you think the free version is sufficient.
Yes. Which is your firewall?

Is there a number to call for assistanct, that you know of, to help install or update.
See the Contacts in website.

Also how do I find out if the 4.8 was installed right in the first place.  I have a registration key, it keeps "saying" Avast just installed a new version, or update.  Is the provider number right, seven providers, 6 running?
Do you really want to keep 4.8 instead of 5.0?
The best things in life are free.