Author Topic: New Avast5 won't update  (Read 5212 times)

Django21

New Avast5 won't update
« on: August 27, 2010, 03:45:21 PM »
Had a pop message saying Avast5 was available to download via my old Avast4
So i downloaded and restarted my PC as instructed.

Although everything else is working fine. I cant seem to download any updates

I get about 30/40% before it trys to save a file and i then get an error message saying:

Last encountered error: Invalid file signature. Setup will terminated.
Total time:1.08

Current version: 5.0.594

Any ideas, i seem too remember when installling the new version version 4 was uninstalled before version 5 was installed.

thx Django

Django21

Re: New Avast5 won't update
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2010, 03:47:05 PM »
Currently using XP and using no other Virus Progs and PC Tools Firewall (no probs using this so far)

Offline superhacker

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
  • superhacker != super mario
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2010, 04:01:06 PM »
Uninstall avast! then reinstall from scratch.
http://www.avast.com/free-antivirus-download
Dreams don't die, they just fall asleep.

Django21

« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2010, 06:35:27 PM »
Done that and i still get the same problem  ???

SafeSurf

« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2010, 06:15:29 AM »
Welcome Django21 to the forum.  :)

Let me see if I can help you.  Since you now have upgraded from 4.0 to 5.0.594 and you are unable to update your Avast definition signatures after rebooting your upgrade, you can try to Repair Avast by doing the following:

Go to Control Panel > Add/Remove programs > Avast Antivirus > Remove.
Then choose Repair function in the popup window (Repair).  Reboot.

If this fails to work, then you will need to uninstall Avast and do a clean (from scratch) install:

1. Save a copy of newest version of Avast (5.0.594) for the version you need and save it to your HDD:
Freehttp://files.avast.com/iavs5x/setup_av_free.exe
Pro  –  http://files.avast.com/iavs5x/setup_av_pro.exe
AIS  –  http://files.avast.com/iavs5x/setup_ais.exe
2. Download the Avast Uninstall Utility, aswClear5.exe http://www.avast.com/uninstall-utility and save it to your HDD (it has uninstall tools for both 4.0 and 5.0).  You will need to uninstall versions 4.0 and 5.0 on your machine.
3. Disconnect from the Internet at this time.
4. Uninstall Avast through "Add/Remove Programs" through Control Panel if possible. 
5. Boot into Safe Mode (hit F8 repeatedly) and run the Avast Uninstall Tool.
6. Reboot twice.
7. Install the newest version of Avast and reboot.
8. Get Internet access and update Avast definitions.
9. Register your copy or add the license key for Free, Pro, or AIS.

Please leave the setting at default unless you need to change them for proxy settings. 

Also, check in your FW Applications Settings to make sure with the new installation that everything pertaining to Avast is allow for both In/Out (yellow/green lights).  Let me know how this works for you.  Thank you.  :)

stephenj2585

« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2010, 12:49:05 PM »
I have a similar problem. I get the "avast error: cannot connect to server' when my system tries to automatically update.

I also have aVerizon broadband USB card. When I connect to the internet through this card, go back into Avast and click on 'update', the updates perform just fine.

so it seems that something is different between my wireless router and this broadband card, But I can't find it.

Any suggestions?

Django21

« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2010, 04:19:56 PM »
Looks like that Worked as it told me i was already upto date!

Thx SafeSurf  :)

SafeSurf

« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2010, 10:24:35 PM »
@ Django21,

I'm glad everything is working out fine for you now.  Enjoy using Avast.

Please feel free to come back anytime you need help, to learn something new, or just to ask questions.  We are here 24/7.  Thank you for allowing me to assist you.  :)

SafeSurf

« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2010, 07:12:22 AM »
@ stephenj2585,

Welcome to the forum.  :)

Your issue is slightly different from the original poster (OP), so in the future you should open up a new thread to make your post.  But since you are here, let me see if I can help you.
I also have aVerizon broadband USB card. When I connect to the internet through this card, go back into Avast and click on 'update', the updates perform just fine.

so it seems that something is different between my wireless router and this broadband card, But I can't find it.
If I understand correctly, your BB USB card works (connects) fine.  The problem seems to be with your wireless router...is that correct?  I would then contact the vendor for the wireless router to trouble shoot with them to see what/why things are being blocked. 

Do you have a firewall (FW)?  You can also check to see if Avast is being allowed in your FW.

Do you have any other security software currently or previously on your machine?

When you use the BB USB, is Avast working properly?