Author Topic: avast!Pro Antivirus 5.0 crashes during installation  (Read 4700 times)

Jannto

avast!Pro Antivirus 5.0 crashes during installation
« on: August 30, 2010, 03:36:01 PM »
Hi

After removing a completely useless McAfee from my computer I purchased yesterday a new license for avast! Pro Antivirus 5.0. I had no previous version of avast! in my computer, and from what I had heard I thought this program should work OK with my system. However, during the last step of installation the computer crashed.

I'm running Windows Vista Home Premium SP2, system is Samsung Intel(M) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU T5450 @ 1.67 GHz, RAM 2GB, 32-bit.

So here's in detail what happened:
1) I downloaded the program from the link provided by the seller
http://files.avast.com/iavs5x/setup_av_pro.exe
2) I started the installation, during which the program prompted me to identify the location of the license file, which I had saved to my computer when I got it from the seller. I did.
3) The installation continued smoothly until the last point, where the green bar had reached 100% - and then the computer crashed.
4) I could not boot the computer normally, but was able to do it in safe mode. I was also not able to remove the program normally, but could remove it by using avast! Antivirus Removal Tool (aswclear5.exe). So that's what I did.
5) After removal of the avast! Pro Antivirus 5.0, the computer restarted and worked normally.
6) I downloaded the program again from the same source, and repeated the procedure - with exactly the same result.

I was wondering should I not try to include the license before I have installed the program completely and restarted? I was thinking to do this but the installation does not seem to have option for this…or should I try to install some freeware first and update it to avast! Pro Antivirus 5.0 later?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Janne

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: avast!Pro Antivirus 5.0 crashes during installation
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2010, 03:51:52 PM »
This article provides the steps to remove SecurityCenter from your computer.
http://ts.mcafeehelp.com/faq3.asp?docid=71525
Also for direct download: http://download.mcafee.com/products/licensed/cust_support_patches/VSCleanupTool.exe
and http://download.mcafee.com/products/licensed/cust_support_patches/MCPR.exe (2007)

Sometimes, McAfee won't be completely removed if, before, you do not uninstall Avast, including the use of its "Uninstall Application" if necessary (www.avast.com/eng/faq-install-uninstall-avast.html).
The best things in life are free.

Jannto

« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2010, 04:19:05 PM »
Thanks Tech!

I had completely removed McAfee before the the first time I installed avast, so I think should not be a problem. However, I use these tools to check if it helps and go another round of trial.

Janne

Jannto

« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2010, 04:40:25 PM »
Hi again,

I tried to install the free version, thinking the I may be able to update from this to the Pro later. Before this I made sure that all McAfee files and previous avast! was uninstalled and removed. However, the system crashed identically to the Pro version (see above).

Is there anyone using Vista with similar problems?

Janne

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2010, 07:31:18 PM »
Please, upload (attach) the avast log: C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast5\Setup\setup.log
(or the shorter C:\Users\All Users\Alwil Software\Avast5\log\Setup.log).

If the file is too big for the forum, post the last 400-500 lines of it.

Jannto

« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2010, 03:48:31 PM »
Hi Tech. Setup log attached.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2010, 04:10:07 PM »
I find no error in your log... seems a mystery ::)
I still bet on McAfee remains...