Author Topic: PC Tools Firewall gone -- what others are good?  (Read 22607 times)

SafeSurf

Re: PC Tools Firewall gone -- what others are good?
« Reply #30 on: September 02, 2010, 10:16:12 AM »
Prevx gave me a pop-up alert to the attempt...which failed.  But I was able to get their IP address and do a reverse look up.  ;D  I also re-checked my system to make sure I was clean, and I am, so they didn't far...nice try though.

YoKenny

« Reply #31 on: September 02, 2010, 12:55:47 PM »
@ SafeSurf

Are you using XP Home or Pro as your signature does not indicate which. ???

Windows XP Home Edition vs. Professional Edition: What's the difference?
http://www.winsupersite.com/showcase/windowsxp_home_pro.asp

SafeSurf

« Reply #32 on: September 03, 2010, 01:12:15 AM »
I had it in there, but because of the forum format change, I was forced to change my Signature for everything to fit...uhmmmmmm.  I did suggest, along with others that the fonts be smaller for the Signature, but instead you have to scroll on one of the "tweak" days."  So for now, I have an abbreviated version of XP-H.  Knowing how often there will be tweaks, I'll end up changing my Sig. daily. ::)

Edit:  New tweak just done.  Now you can see my new Sig....second time today.  ;D
« Last Edit: September 03, 2010, 08:59:16 AM by SafeSurf »

Offline Vladimyr

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • Super(massive black hole) Poster
« Reply #33 on: September 03, 2010, 04:26:22 AM »
"...the report of my death was an exaggeration" http://www.pctools.com/firewall/ (Friday 3rd September, 12.26PM AEST)
There is a way that seems right to a man,
       but in the end it leads to death
.” - Proverbs 16:25

Offline MikeBCda

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #34 on: September 05, 2010, 09:17:43 PM »
Now that I've been using Outlook for a week or two, I'm generally happy with it.  Only one minor complaint, it doesn't have one specific and very useful feature that other firewalls usually do, the ability to "flag" applications rules for which the application no longer exists on my system (typically installers) so the applicable rule can be deleted.
Intel Atom D2700, 2 gig RAM, Win 7 x64 SP1 & IE-11, Firefox 51.0
(default). 320 gig HD, 15Mb DSL, Win firewall, Avast 12.3.2280 free, SpywareBlaster, MBAM Prem., Crypto-Prevent

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #35 on: September 05, 2010, 09:44:30 PM »
The actual firewall is called Outpost, not Outlook which is a MS email program ;D

I don't know much about the free version or its interface, but in the Pro version it is in Settings, Anti-Leak, Known components, View List... button, see image. Presumably there will be something similar in the free version.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline MikeBCda

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #36 on: September 05, 2010, 10:25:48 PM »
Thanks for the correction, David, I'd even put "Outlook" into my profile in error.  :-[
(default). 320 gig HD, 15Mb DSL, Win firewall, Avast 12.3.2280 free, SpywareBlaster, MBAM Prem., Crypto-Prevent

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #37 on: September 05, 2010, 11:48:29 PM »
You're welcome, did you manage to find those settings ?
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline MikeBCda

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #38 on: September 06, 2010, 07:22:10 PM »
No - in the free version, the closest equivalent appears to be the Application Rules.  I make a point of scanning that list when doing my weekend cleanup to see if I can spot anything I know is gone.

This seems to be one of those rare cases where the paid version looks quite a bit more useful than the free version.  However, from your screenshot it doesn't look like the paid version flags uninstalled things either.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #39 on: September 06, 2010, 07:38:49 PM »
Well Application Rules are in the Pro version also (in my image). So presumably you don't have the Proactive Protection section shown in my image ?

Offline MikeBCda

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #40 on: September 06, 2010, 07:53:17 PM »
No I don't -- free version settings menu is a little shorter:

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #41 on: September 06, 2010, 08:10:49 PM »
Yes much smaller, not as comprehensive, there obviously has to be a difference to the paid option, but it is still a good free firewall.

ardvark

« Reply #42 on: September 07, 2010, 12:47:38 AM »
Prevx gave me a pop-up alert to the attempt...which failed.  But I was able to get their IP address and do a reverse look up.  ;D  I also re-checked my system to make sure I was clean, and I am, so they didn't far...nice try though.

So, this individual was able to hack their way into the banking site in question for this to be possible?

Regards...

SafeSurf

« Reply #43 on: September 07, 2010, 10:10:57 AM »
So, this individual was able to hack their way into the banking site in question for this to be possible?
No...past PCT FW (which I was testing) onto my machine.  They tried to do a screenshot.  I was on a banking site, but PrevX w/SO prevented them from doing anything...keylogging, redirecting, screenshot, url grabbing, browser modifications, etc., and immediately knocked me off-line for my protection and told me why.  When I called the bank, nothing had happened, but to play it safe we both agreed to change acct. #'s and PW's. 

I keep everything up to date with software all the time.  I was able to get the IP and actual address, but as you know...hackers change it.  But I'm sure after failing to succeed with me, he just went on to hack into someone else's account without security software to protect them.

Since changing to the new FW, I've been fine and stealth by testing.

ardvark

« Reply #44 on: September 07, 2010, 11:57:39 AM »
No...past PCT FW (which I was testing) onto my machine.  They tried to do a screenshot.  I was on a banking site, but PrevX w/SO prevented them from doing anything...keylogging, redirecting, screenshot, url grabbing, browser modifications, etc., and immediately knocked me off-line for my protection and told me why.  When I called the bank, nothing had happened, but to play it safe we both agreed to change acct. #'s and PW's. 

I keep everything up to date with software all the time.  I was able to get the IP and actual address, but as you know...hackers change it.  But I'm sure after failing to succeed with me, he just went on to hack into someone else's account without security software to protect them.

Since changing to the new FW, I've been fine and stealth by testing.

Hi SafeSurf...

Wow, I'm glad Prevx was on the job. ::)

Regards...