Author Topic: Avast! 5 - Update Warning Notification  (Read 8046 times)

drmsucks

Avast! 5 - Update Warning Notification
« on: March 08, 2010, 08:23:00 PM »
For years, I've had Avast! (free) set to "Ask" for updating definitions and program updates. Now, with v 5, Avast! puts a yellow triangle warning on the icon notifying that automatic updating is off for definitions when it is set to "Ask.".

Is there any way to turn off this warning?

Thanks!

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Avast! 5 - Update Warning Notification
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2010, 08:33:13 PM »
Yes there is, but I don't see why the virus definitions should be changed to Ask as being incremental shouldn't present any issues (certainly not for me even on dial-up).

From the avast Settings, Status Bar, Components Monitored, deselect the Definitions auto update, see image.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

drmsucks

« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2010, 08:44:18 PM »
Thanks, David!

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2010, 08:45:31 PM »
You're welcome.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

glebrok

« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2010, 06:25:38 AM »
Thanks David, I run an older laptop and if I don't use it a few days the initial boot along with Avast updating is a bit taxing for it, so I like manual updates.  Couldn't figure out how to get rid of warning!

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2010, 04:31:52 PM »
You can delay the update check for some time to give your boot time to conclude. Treat the problem rather than the symptom.

Presumably you are on broadband and the connection is available early on in the boot, which is why avast checks for updates as you have a connection.

- In avast5 you need to edit (using notepad) avast5.ini the [InetWD] section of the C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Alwil Software\Avast5\avast5.ini, XP lication, other OSes differ.

- Broadband connections, add this line:
AlwaysConnectedWaitSeconds=120 and
AssumeAlwaysConnected=1 if not present (or edit AssumeAlwaysConnected=0 to AssumeAlwaysConnected=1)
[InetWD]
AssumeAlwaysConnected=1
AlwaysConnectedWaitSeconds=120
When complete save the changes, avast's self-defence module will ask for confirmation, etc. answer Yes.

The figure is seconds and the above equates to two minutes, you could try that and adjust upwards if required, 180, 240, 300, etc.

drmsucks

« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2010, 07:31:27 PM »
glebrok - You can also choose manual update under "Settings" and then go to the "Status Bar" settings and de-select "Definitions auto update." Avast! won't nag you then!

That said, unless you are extremely diligent about updating (multiple times per day), my suggestion is to follow DavidR's excellent post on delaying the automatic update instead. But, if you choose to delay the update, watch where you go during the delay period because, according to your post, your defs may be "a few days" out of date!

Best of luck!

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2010, 07:46:59 PM »
I think he understands that given glebrok's reply, my reading between the lines indicates this topic has pointed him in the right direction to resolve the notifications.

Thanks David, I run an older laptop and if I don't use it a few days the initial boot along with Avast updating is a bit taxing for it, so I like manual updates.  Couldn't figure out how to get rid of warning!

<snip>
That said, unless you are extremely diligent about updating (multiple times per day), my suggestion is to follow DavidR's excellent post on delaying the automatic update instead. But, if you choose to delay the update, watch where you go during the delay period because, according to your post, your defs may be "a few days" out of date!

The delay isn't much of an issue I have mine set for 10 minutes (600) so I know when it is going to happen after connection. This is even more critical as I'm on dial-up (different setting) as that delay doesn't start until I actually connect (no auto dial-up connection).

So if set to 300 (5 minutes) glebrok would know exactly when avast was going to check for updates, 5 minutes after boot.

The advantage of the auto update is that it incorporates a CPU throttling so it shouldn't use more than 30% allowing you to get on with other activities. The manual update has no such CPU throttling as you are starting it manually, so assums you aren't going to do this at a time where you need all your CPU, etc.

drmsucks

« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2010, 02:58:00 AM »
The delay isn't much of an issue I have mine set for 10 minutes (600) so I know when it is going to happen after connection.

Perhaps we're talking about two different ideas, but the notion of surfing the net with AV definitions a "few days old" is a risky endeavor - even for 10 minutes according to my view of things.

glebrok

« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2010, 10:32:53 AM »
Thank you both for your assistance!  The delay is a great idea, that way it will continue updating if I stay online awhile.  And I've cleaned up my start-up programs, got rid of some sneaky resource hogs that like to make sure they're first in line, so I may not have to delay Avast for very long!  Thanks much!  :)

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2010, 03:47:31 PM »
No problem, glad I could help.

Welcome to the forums.