Author Topic: Boot Scan Settings – Avast 5  (Read 3125 times)

Straydog

Boot Scan Settings – Avast 5
« on: September 01, 2010, 04:41:07 PM »
A complete boot scan takes slightly over 5 hours on my multiple drive computer with 4.8. I could easily leave it working over night, but this is not possible because when it finds the first virus it stops for a coffee brake and does not continue before getting an answered to what to do with the file and we enter the answer.

This could be avoided by simply selecting the actions to be taken in such case, just as we do with all other scanning options, but that setting is not available for the boot-time scan scheduler. All we can set are the heuristics, PUPs, archive files and select the areas to scan. That's all.

So, if the computer does not have many viruses and they are rather closer to the end of the scanning process, we may well have to stand by the computer waiting for the first virus to be discovered, which may be 3 hours, 4 hours or more after scanning begins.

This is a very awkward problem because we either are forbidden to use the computer during daytime or instead of sleeping overnight we stand watching for the first virus to come up.

Is this ridiculous like this description or am I being silly and missed something even after having looked through for hours? I even looked for the command line use on the help file, But I might have overlooked some thing.

Can some one, please, help and tell me how to proceed?

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
Re: Boot Scan Settings – Avast 5
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2010, 04:52:17 PM »
are you using boot scan as part of your daily / weekly scanning ? if so why ?

What happened to the automatic actions in the Boot-time scan?
http://blog.avast.com/2010/02/04/v5-bts-auto-actions/

Straydog

Re: Boot Scan Settings – Avast 5
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2010, 05:46:58 AM »
Thank you for the information. It is not what I wanted, but now I know.