Author Topic: Are Autorun and Autoplay Related?  (Read 5472 times)

BRANDONN2008

Are Autorun and Autoplay Related?
« on: November 14, 2010, 10:14:24 AM »
Hi. I know you can get infected from a USB drive, so some people use something like Panda USB Vaccine to prevent autoruns, but I was wondering if setting all autoplay settings to "take no action" works as well? So right now when I plug my USB drive in, nothing pops up from autoplay. Are the two related or should I still get Panda USB Vaccine?

SafeSurf

Re: Are Autorun and Autoplay Related?
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2010, 10:39:04 AM »
As I understand it, autoplay is to have things automatically play/start running on your machine when you insert it.  For example, when you insert a CD/DVD into your machine, it will automatically start working and run.

The Panda USB Vaccine disables autorun.inf (a type of autorun malware), not autoplay.  So to answer your question, the two are not related.

Offline nmb

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2010, 03:18:44 PM »
Hi,

Please read it yourself here : http://www.menubox.com/kb/13-162

nmb

bong2x

« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2010, 03:36:47 PM »
in simple way of example autorun is a horse and autoplay is the one who ride the horse ;D
 or like run the program ex: WMP and play the file VIDEO, AUDIO. with it ;D

bong2x

DarkMasters

« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2010, 07:33:35 PM »
As I understand it, autoplay is to have things automatically play/start running on your machine when you insert it.  For example, when you insert a CD/DVD into your machine, it will automatically start working and run.

The Panda USB Vaccine disables autorun.inf (a type of autorun malware), not autoplay.  So to answer your question, the two are not related.

I just want to add that autorun.inf is simply a file which tells the Windows and autoplay about what kind of data that stored inside the disk, what application/program to execute the moment you insert/plug the disk. This file is harmless.
However, there are a lot of autorun virus which tampering with this file in order to execute their script/command the moment you insert/plug the disk.

brandonn2010, setting all autoplay to 'Take no action' or simply uncheck the 'Use AutoPlay for all media and devices' checkbox won't give you any protection from autorun viruses as Windows still read/execute autorun.inf the moment you insert/plug the disk.

You could prevent Windows from reading/executing autorun.inf using application like Panda USB Vaccine or disabling it through registry. However, it wouldn't delete the virus (assuming your disk being infected by autorun virus). I don't think it's really needed (disabling autorun), since any good antivirus would protect you from this kind of virus.

bong2x

« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2010, 07:46:37 PM »
You could prevent Windows from reading/executing autorun.inf using application like Panda USB Vaccine or disabling it through registry. However, it wouldn't delete the virus (assuming your disk being infected by autorun virus). I don't think it's really needed (disabling autorun), since any good antivirus would protect you from this kind of virus.

Mine i only use windows setting called Data Execution Prevention (DEP)
auto execute from flask disc cannot run in my computer :)

SafeSurf

« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2010, 12:14:18 PM »
This was another point I wanted to make for the OP.  I use Panda USB Vaccine http://research.pandasecurity.com/panda-usb-and-autorun-vaccine/ and it can be run on any drive on your machine for removable devices.

You are given the option to "vaccinate" your machine, which means to disable autoruns.inf from infecting your machine, and you can enable it again (although I wouldn't).  Plus you can "vaccinate" any USB/flash or removable device so that it cannot infect your machine.  This type of malware is easily transmittable because many people use USB's.

Many AV programs do not protect you from autoruns.inf.  There are a few options available for protection:
- Panda USB Vaccine
- Flash Drive Disinfector
- AutoRun Eater
- Manually disabling Autoruns from your machine

How to format or cleanse your USB / flash drive:
- Right click from Windows Explorer and do a full format to cleanse your USB flash drive.

If your machine is infected, you need to go through a malware removal process.  It is best to be protected against autoruns.inf prior to being infected.