Author Topic: How do you close avast?  (Read 106300 times)

REDACTED

Re: How do you close avast?
« Reply #30 on: January 26, 2016, 06:52:28 PM »
First a little bit background information. The reason why it's somewhat difficult to close avast (and pretty much any other AV, for that matter) is that we want to make it difficult for the bad guys as well. I mean, if there was a simple way to kill the AV processes, it would be way too easy for a virus to do the same.

Now, to return to the original question, it's not a big deal to do it (if you actually know how ;)).

So, what's the trick?

First disable the avast self-defense module (avast -> Settings -> Troubleshooting).
Confirm the consent message with Yes, and that's basically it.

Now you can e.g. kill the avast processes from the Task Manager.

Thanks
Vlk

An actual solution! and it still works!

Avast directly interferes with the programs I write, the programs I have to download from my college, and even when I have a program white listed it still causes problems because Avast uses Drep to interferes with all independent developers and students and is worse than heuristics, but not as bad as other antivirus programs that directly delete programs and source code it doesn't like right after I finish writing it. It's just sad to see Avast go that route. So I'd still want to use is as an antivirus (since, although it interferes while running, it's still a good antivirus when used strictly as one), but disabling causes it to draw attention to it with an annoying notification and exclamation mark so shutting it off completely is the best solution. Even disabling reputation checks isn't a complete fix, and there is never an option to continue anyway when it wants to block something and no way for the user to independently set their own white list of trusted files and sites and that all together is the reason why I don't just want this program off, I NEED it off. As does every other student who uses Avast at my college.

Offline bob3160

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • 64 Years of Happiness
    • bob3160 Protecting Yourself, Your Computer and, Your Identity
« Reply #31 on: January 26, 2016, 07:08:59 PM »
Making bypassing the program difficult is done by design. Why bother using an AV at all if any time it blocks
something you can simply bypass the block. Something safe today, can be dangerous tomorrow.
Till I verify something blocked by my AV (Avast), is truly a false positive, it stays blocked.
Free Security Seminar: https://bit.ly/bobg2023  -  Important: http://www.organdonor.gov/ -- My Web Site: http://bob3160.strikingly.com/ - Win 11 Pro v22H2 64bit, 16 Gig Ram, 1TB SSD, Avast Free 23.5.6066, How to Successfully Install Avast http://goo.gl/VLXdeRepair & Clean Install https://goo.gl/t7aJGq -- My Online Activity https://bit.ly/BobGInternet

REDACTED

« Reply #32 on: April 10, 2016, 12:24:46 PM »
I realize this is an old, old thread, but since it's the first that comes up in a search for this issue I thought I'd register and comment.

Avast (the business): you have a serious image problem! logos, Gopher John, DavidR, Arnold72 are actively attacking someone asking a perfectly reasonable question. Do these people speak for the company?

Vlk gave the actual solution. Thank you. Too late, I'm afraid. Now to uninstall and install absolutely any other AV product!
(No, I'm not involved in purchasing at my company, this is just my home computer, so feel free to ignore.)

Edit: You know this has (April 2016) over 33000 views, right? It's the first impression a lot of people have of the product.  ;D
« Last Edit: April 10, 2016, 12:29:12 PM by shark132141 »

REDACTED

« Reply #33 on: May 17, 2016, 10:36:10 PM »
100% agree with shark. People here are asking perfectly legitimate questions, AV can cause problems and slowdown issues in certain cases (especially in older computers). Thanks to those who actually posted solutions instead of attacking the person asking the question.

I am an admin at a company with a large amount of computers, it isn't unreasonable to want a solution to be able to close a program.

There are times in troubleshooting where someone might actually want to close AV down for a minute or two, people should have control over their programs and computers, not the other way around.

Installing the yahoo bullshit was the last straw for me, trust is hard to gain and easily lost.

"Seriously, why ppl use antiviruses and want them to be disabled!? It's like having a turbo charged Lamborghini Murcielago and want to have it without the engine... Makes no sense.

If you're suspecting avast! to cause certain web related problems (slowdowns), you can in fact disable those shields from inside avast!. Pay attention to Web Shield and Network Shield. These two pass all the network traffic through its filters. You can also have only Standard Shield installed, but in general, these two shields don't cause much problems or slowdowns."

No, it is not. It is like having a Lambo that you can't shut off to make repairs. Turning off the shields does not kill the program. Oh, in general they don't cause problems? Thanks for the assumptions and generalizations. Instead of making it take more time to get to the actual solution, why don't you try shutting the fuck up?

I hope none of these idiot posters are paid anything by the company, it takes a true moron to call a flaw a feature.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2016, 10:42:01 PM by Helios6842 »

REDACTED

« Reply #34 on: May 17, 2016, 10:41:13 PM »
Making bypassing the program difficult is done by design. Why bother using an AV at all if any time it blocks
something you can simply bypass the block. Something safe today, can be dangerous tomorrow.
Till I verify something blocked by my AV (Avast), is truly a false positive, it stays blocked.

What about a password for shutdown? You create a user known password with a required number of digits that allows the program to quit?

Having anything you can't shut off on your computer is a problem, including AV.

Offline bob3160

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • 64 Years of Happiness
    • bob3160 Protecting Yourself, Your Computer and, Your Identity
« Reply #35 on: May 17, 2016, 10:45:53 PM »
Not being able to turn of Avast has never presented a problem here.
Turning it off probably would since it's the quickest way to infect your computer. 
Free Security Seminar: https://bit.ly/bobg2023  -  Important: http://www.organdonor.gov/ -- My Web Site: http://bob3160.strikingly.com/ - Win 11 Pro v22H2 64bit, 16 Gig Ram, 1TB SSD, Avast Free 23.5.6066, How to Successfully Install Avast http://goo.gl/VLXdeRepair & Clean Install https://goo.gl/t7aJGq -- My Online Activity https://bit.ly/BobGInternet

REDACTED

« Reply #36 on: May 17, 2016, 10:49:23 PM »
This whole thread is about how it HAS presented a problem. Are you blind? You are saying that the act of turning off avast alone infects your computer? WTF? That involves downloading malware/viruses and executing them, viruses don't just spawn on their own because you don't have AV on.

AV is important, but that doesn't mean you should lose control of your computer.

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
« Reply #37 on: May 17, 2016, 10:54:13 PM »
What about a password for shutdown?
avast already has the option to put a password on it.
viruses don't just spawn on their own because you don't have AV on.
Viruses don't but there is other malware that does.
You are saying that the act of turning off avast alone infects your computer?
No, he didn't say that.
He said a system without a av can very quickly become infected.

REDACTED

« Reply #38 on: May 17, 2016, 11:00:46 PM »
I was saying a password specific to allow it to shut down (which it does not have), not just a general password. Very different.

People need a way to shut their programs down, especially if they pay for them.

No shit sherlock, if I made it this far, don't you think I know that running without AV can cause problems?

Still need an option to shut the damn thing off if there are issues. There is one - problem solved.

My only problem here is posters that don't have solutions berating those that are asking questions.

Offline stibi

« Reply #39 on: May 18, 2016, 11:59:59 AM »
And you have the answer to this more than 5 years old question?
Let us hear.

I think there are some points worth to discuss about Avast. This here is not included  :)

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
« Reply #40 on: May 18, 2016, 12:54:50 PM »
answer is in reply nr #15

REDACTED

« Reply #41 on: October 22, 2016, 09:10:17 PM »
Topic: How do you close avast?  (Read 40039 times)

Firstly, congrats VLK for helping OP and some majority of that number above close the damn software.

Secondly, those newts complaining about turning Avast off avast, this is for you. Avast only needs to be running either when you are on-line or connecting external storage devices. Thus, there is plenty of opportunity to turn it off, and reasons why one might want to. Please do not be so ignorant. Secondly, if the process can be killed by turning that one option off in the software (see VLK post), then why the hell can Avast not just label it quit with the info button next to it saying close Avast from the task manager, or disable task manager locking, or password protect, or pin protect a quit function.

Thirdly, for Avast by having the 100% lock out, reading this post and the stupidity of not only this thread but the software I've un-installed it. I do not like the default settings (which doesn't include pup search - but does include sharing information to avast). I do not like having to do number different scans, or having numerous products thrown at me. With out smarter UI, this company will sink. The average joe is not happy having a third party (outside their household) have such control over their pc. That is, the average joe must have control to switch it off, and this function should be made clearly visible for even the most non savvy computer average joes out there. Almost like having captchas I can't blooming read but having a audio file to give the instruction. Make It Simpler Stupid instead of a MISS!

Cya! Well, now I can turn it off I will perhaps use if and when I need to. But only because I have the control. Thanks but fix the UI and ability to switch it off.

« Last Edit: October 22, 2016, 09:25:31 PM by Stuart61 »

REDACTED

« Reply #42 on: October 22, 2016, 09:15:08 PM »
Not being able to turn of Avast has never presented a problem here.
Turning it off probably would since it's the quickest way to infect your computer.

Topic: How do you close avast?  (Read 40039 times)

I disagree and it's likely so do the other 20026 people assuming that the 3 page thread of 50 or so posters visited not more than 200 times and a 1.5 average of views each, which is unrealistic just like your post.

By the way are you saying turning avast of will cause an infection? Not having Avast running is not the quickest way to cause an infection, having an infected file is, presumably on an unprotected computer. This is not the only software on the market free or paid; so your logic is floored thus turning avast off is not by any means a quick way to infection, unless causing it. Also, there has been nothing stated in this thread saying that the operators wanting to turn off avast only had avast running. Next time get of your pogo stick, stop being confrontational after the fact, and stop being irrelevant.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2016, 09:27:54 PM by Stuart61 »

REDACTED

« Reply #43 on: October 22, 2016, 09:32:15 PM »
answer is in reply nr #15

Could have quoted it, instead of sending people on a counting spree. obviously you felt it had worth as a post, counted posts to it (so you were there), and that the post directly aided your motivation to write.

It's decided! I dislike the Avast support team as much as the software. 100% removal and dislike from here until my death. What a joke of a company. Cya.

Oh and it seems Avast Überevangelist should be titled newbie and new posters titled Avast Überevangelist. I'm just saying where the sense actually is.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2016, 09:36:41 PM by Stuart61 »

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
« Reply #44 on: October 22, 2016, 09:34:57 PM »
which doesn't include pup search
If it was for avast, I'm pretty sure they want to have it enabled by default.
However for legal reasons they are not allowed to have it enabled by default.
Avast only needs to be running either when you are on-line or connecting external storage devices
Not true.
Certain malware is/can only be detected on-access.
The average joe is not happy having a third party (outside their household) have such control over their pc.
avast doesn't have control over a users pc, only the user does.
Almost like having captchas I can't blooming read but having a audio file to give the instruction. Make It Simpler Stupid instead of a MISS!
The capcha is only there the first three posts and it is working rather well helping to keep spammers away.
I dislike the Avast support team
Did you ever submitted a ticket?
If not, you can't judge about it.