Author Topic: How do you close avast?  (Read 105976 times)

bghjkl

How do you close avast?
« on: September 02, 2010, 12:23:36 PM »
I don't want avast to be running. At all. There's no option to "quit" or "shut down" or "exit" on the task panel or the gui. When I try to end the process with task manager it says "access denied"

I've read a few similar topics on here, and the responses were very surprising. things like

"why would you want to close avast?"
"it doesn't take any memory"
"you'll be prone to attacks HURR DURR"

I just want to be able to stop it from running. This shouldn't require joining a forum and posting a support topic.

Hermite15

Re: How do you close avast?
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2010, 01:13:27 PM »
I don't want avast to be running. At all. There's no option to "quit" or "shut down" or "exit" on the task panel or the gui. When I try to end the process with task manager it says "access denied"

I've read a few similar topics on here, and the responses were very surprising. things like

"why would you want to close avast?"
"it doesn't take any memory"
"you'll be prone to attacks HURR DURR"

I just want to be able to stop it from running. This shouldn't require joining a forum and posting a support topic.

you mean you registered just to ask this, wow, respect ;D ...as to the reasons why you want to stop avast, they're probably just as respectable.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2010, 01:15:25 PM »
avast! shields control > Disable...
The best things in life are free.

bghjkl

« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2010, 07:50:00 PM »

you mean you registered just to ask this, wow, respect ;D ...as to the reasons why you want to stop avast, they're probably just as respectable.

My reasons are irrelevant. It should never be this hard to simply stop an application from running.

That doesn't do anything but disable it. Seems quite a useless function as Avast stops doing everything, but the process continues to run and take up memory. The icon is still in my taskbar, and AvastUI.exe is still running.

Offline Gopher John

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2010, 07:58:49 PM »

My reasons are irrelevant. It should never be this hard to simply stop an application from running.

That doesn't do anything but disable it. Seems quite a useless function as Avast stops doing everything, but the process continues to run and take up memory. The icon is still in my taskbar, and AvastUI.exe is still running.

Uninstall Avast.  It quits running then. ;D  Seriously, if you don't want it running, then you don't want it's protection. ::)
AMD A6-5350M APU with Radeon HD Graphics, 8.0GB RAM, Win7 Pro SP1 64bit, IE11
i7-3610QM 2.3GHZ, 8.0GB Ram,  Nvidia GeForce GT 630M 2GB, Win7 Pro SP1 64bit, IE 11
Common to both: Avast Premium Security 19.7.2388, WinPatrol Plus, SpywareBlaster 5.5, Opera 12.18, Firefox 68.0.2, MBam Free, CCleaner

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2010, 08:05:23 PM »
If it is an on-demand only scanner you want ? her are two

ClamWin 0.96.2.1 http://filehippo.com/download_clamwin/
BitDefender 10 Free Edition http://filehippo.com/download_bitdefender/

bghjkl

« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2010, 08:14:26 PM »

Uninstall Avast.  It quits running then. ;D  Seriously, if you don't want it running, then you don't want it's protection. ::)

So the only way to close it is to uninstall it? I do want the protection, but I'm suspicious that avast is the cause of some web browsing problems i've been having, and I want to close it to see if it is. This shouldn't be a daunting task!

Imagine if you had to uninstall your browser every time you wanted to close it.

May I suggest a simple "exit avast!" button for the next update.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2010, 08:16:23 PM by bghjkl »

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2010, 08:16:01 PM »
Is there any AV program you can turn off ?

Offline Gopher John

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2010, 08:37:59 PM »
Disabling the Web Shield temporarily as Tech mentioned is a valid way to check if Avast is causing your browsing problem.  With it disabled, clear your browser cache and visit the site(s) that you are having problems with.  Of course, you will have less protection and can't blame Avast if you become infected while doing so.
AMD A6-5350M APU with Radeon HD Graphics, 8.0GB RAM, Win7 Pro SP1 64bit, IE11
i7-3610QM 2.3GHZ, 8.0GB Ram,  Nvidia GeForce GT 630M 2GB, Win7 Pro SP1 64bit, IE 11
Common to both: Avast Premium Security 19.7.2388, WinPatrol Plus, SpywareBlaster 5.5, Opera 12.18, Firefox 68.0.2, MBam Free, CCleaner

bghjkl

« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2010, 12:59:29 AM »
so i am to understand that there is no possible way to stop avastui.exe from running?

if so, that's a MAJOR flaw in the software.

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2010, 02:33:48 AM »
avast is designed to be a 'resident' AV so what you are suggesting isn't what it was designed for and as such would require lots of hacking to get it to act like an on-demand AV.

The avastUI has no security function, but is there so you can access the various shields and settings.

Eventually we got the information out of you as to why you want to do this - to resolve a perceived web browsing problem:
Quote from: bghjkl
I do want the protection, but I'm suspicious that avast is the cause of some web browsing problems i've been having, and I want to close it to see if it is.

So why not let us try and find and resolve that problem. The web shield is the shield directly related to the internet, so as suggested you can stop the web shield, whilst still retaining the protection of the other shields.

What are the web browsing problems ?
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

bghjkl

« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2010, 09:07:51 AM »
avast is designed to be a 'resident' AV so what you are suggesting isn't what it was designed for and as such would require lots of hacking to get it to act like an on-demand AV.

The avastUI has no security function, but is there so you can access the various shields and settings.

Eventually we got the information out of you as to why you want to do this - to resolve a perceived web browsing problem:
Quote from: bghjkl
I do want the protection, but I'm suspicious that avast is the cause of some web browsing problems i've been having, and I want to close it to see if it is.

So why not let us try and find and resolve that problem. The web shield is the shield directly related to the internet, so as suggested you can stop the web shield, whilst still retaining the protection of the other shields.

What are the web browsing problems ?

that's not what i asked. i asked how to end the process avastui.exe

but certain websites (google, craigslist, and wikipedia) always time out, but others work fine (bing, ebay, ...the avast forum)

I want to remove all instances of suspects to try to remedy the problem, as anyone with any sense would.

Offline Tarq57

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • If at first you don’t succeed; call it version 1.0
« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2010, 09:38:23 AM »
You seem determined to troubleshoot your own way, so be it.
Uninstall Avast.
That is the only way I know of to exit it.
I see that as a feature, rather than a flaw.

Most users don't have this issue with Avast selectively blocking some sites; I suspect some other culprit. Let us know how you go.
Windows 10,Windows Firewall,Firefox w/Adblock.

Offline Chaul

« Reply #13 on: September 03, 2010, 10:36:41 AM »
that's not what i asked. i asked how to end the process avastui.exe

but certain websites (google, craigslist, and wikipedia) always time out, but others work fine (bing, ebay, ...the avast forum)

I want to remove all instances of suspects to try to remedy the problem, as anyone with any sense would.
I would try and scan the computer with other anti-malware apps (ones suggested here) in case Avast is not detecting anything. Or, take a look at the hosts file that may be redirecting traffic where it shouldn't go and then the connection times out. Or, it's the LAN proxy setting.

Most AV's are designed so that you can't shut them down once they are running. It's a security feature so that malware can't just shut the scanners down and then spread. That's what some of the virus would try and do first.

Offline RejZoR

• Polymorphic Sheep
  • Serious Graphoman
  • We are supersheep, resistance is futile!
    • RejZoR's Flock of Sheep
« Reply #14 on: September 03, 2010, 10:42:40 AM »
Programs and Features -> avast! Antivirus -> Uninstall

Seriously, why ppl use antiviruses and want them to be disabled!? It's like having a turbo charged Lamborghini Murcielago and want to have it without the engine... Makes no sense.

If you're suspecting avast! to cause certain web related problems (slowdowns), you can in fact disable those shields from inside avast!. Pay attention to Web Shield and Network Shield. These two pass all the network traffic through its filters. You can also have only Standard Shield installed, but in general, these two shields don't cause much problems or slowdowns.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2010, 11:07:03 AM by RejZoR »
Visit my webpage Angry Sheep Blog