Author Topic: I should be updating my version of AIS, right?  (Read 3253 times)

SeaDubb

I should be updating my version of AIS, right?
« on: September 03, 2010, 01:50:48 AM »
The email I received upon subscribing to the Professional Edition apparently misled me.  It said

Thank You very much for Your order. You have successfully purchased avast! 4 Professional Edition antivirus program for 1 PC(s). Your license allows you to update/upgrade avast! 4 Professional for 3(three) years from the date of purchase.

The impression I got from this was that I was to "remain faithful" to version 4.  Just moments ago, I was reading the first topic of this part of the forum and got a very different impression.  When I look more carefully at the previous paragraph, I can now see two key words, "update/upgrade".  So I guess that means, "starting with the version 4.8 that I originally paid for", right?

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: I should be updating my version of AIS, right?
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2010, 02:41:19 AM »
No you don't have to upgrade to the AIS version, I believe the implication is to update to avast 5.0 Pro, which would be free rather than continue with avast 4.8 Pro. An upgrade to AIS would mean payment for the Avast Internet Security suite, obviously that would have to have some discount, having just bought a 4.8 pro license.

Pro AV:  http://files.avast.com/iavs5x/setup_av_pro.exe - Avast! Pro antivirus Quick Start Guide http://files.avast.com/files/documentation/quick-start-guide-pro-en-ww.pdf

If you received the old style license email, that won't work in avast 5 and requires conversion (free).
- avast! 5 Pro license convert from 4.8 Pro license. Try http://www.avast.com/resend-license.php now, fill in the form giving your email and 4.8 Pro License key and they will send the new license file to you (presumably it will check you have a legit 4.8 Pro license first).
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Rednose

• Pirate Party Member
  • Avast Überevangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Bits of Freedom : https://www.bof.nl
    • Nederlandstalig Avast! forum
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2010, 05:22:44 AM »
Hi SeaDubb, welcome to the forum :)

When you convert your Pro key to a Pro licence file, be sure you use the SAME email address as when you bought your licence. How to insert the license file into avast! Pro Antivirus :

http://support.avast.com/index.php?_m=knowledgebase&_a=viewarticle&kbarticleid=475&nav=0,56,175,178

If there are any questions left, feel free to ask :)

Greetz, Red.
Real Time: Avast Premium Security
On Demand: Malwarebytes
VPN: NordVPN ( NordLynx ) with Threat Protection ( Lite )

SeaDubb

« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2010, 05:33:28 PM »
Thanks David. 
Thanks Red.

Sorry for using the term, AIS, without realizing that it belongs to a product other than the one that I purchased.

The reason I have delayed in responding to your fine answers is that I have been trying to also resolve another problem with elements 5. They apparently hit the wrong key ( 2 instead of 3 ), giving me two years of usage rather than the three for which I paid.  I am pursuing that with them directly and await their reply.  I also mentioned that I needed a license file that will work on version 5.xxx. 

There is one more little thing that you may verify for me.  In other reading in this forum I think I read that, when upgrading from one version to another, one should always install the upgrade on top of the version that's already working.  Is that correct?  My version 4.8 is working very well and I certainly wouldn't want to disturb it.  On the other hand, how should I bring the new version 5 license file into the upgraded Pro AV without messing things up?

Again I thank you a whole lot for your fine help,

SeaDubb

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2010, 07:13:54 PM »
You're welcome.

If you have time left on your existing 4.8 pro license, it is possible to install avast 5.0 pro over the top. It should retain the 4.8 licence information for use in 5.0 pro, uninstall 4.8 and install avast 5.0 pro. Only the remainder of the license period will be transferred to 5.0.

Your circumstances make this a little more difficult as if you install and use the converted 2 year license I don't know how you would subsequently update that to a three year license. So it may be best to hold fire until you have that resolved and you have a 3 year license in your possession.

Once you have it read the quick start .pdf (link I gave) and that tells you how to enter the license file into avast 5.0 on page 7-8.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

SeaDubb

« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2010, 07:57:16 PM »
Thank You, David,

Will Do.  I did ask them to send a 5.xxx license file, so that should make it easier to handle.

SeaDubb
« Last Edit: September 03, 2010, 07:59:45 PM by SeaDubb »

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2010, 08:35:24 PM »
You're welcome.