Author Topic: Shut down Avast for a download  (Read 3509 times)

Nikilet

Shut down Avast for a download
« on: September 02, 2010, 12:58:42 AM »
If I want to disable Avast just for a short time while I run something, how is that done? Do you just go in and stop all the modules?

derry

Re: Shut down Avast for a download
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2010, 01:03:08 AM »
yes that should do it then after your done downloading the file you can turn it back on.

Offline Tarq57

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • If at first you don’t succeed; call it version 1.0
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2010, 01:16:18 AM »
Why would you want to do that?
When you are downloading then running "something" is exactly the time that you should be protected.
Windows 10,Windows Firewall,Firefox w/Adblock.

SafeSurf

« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2010, 08:34:07 AM »
Although this is not recommended, I know this user from another forum and know of her issue and it is most likely to be used for diagnostic purposes / troubleshooting to repair her machine (not Avast-related).

Open the Avast GUI > Trouble shooting > unclick Enable Avast Self-defense module (4th box down).  Make sure you enable it again or you have NO antivirus protection!

Offline Tarq57

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • If at first you don’t succeed; call it version 1.0
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2010, 09:30:21 AM »
Although this is not recommended, I know this user from another forum and know of her issue and it is most likely to be used for diagnostic purposes / troubleshooting to repair her machine (not Avast-related).
Given that, how about right-click the tray icon, select "avast! shields control", then "disable for 10 minutes" (or as required.) There is a popup to "OK", the AV will stop operating, the Windows security centre should produce a red shield and a balloon tip.

Just be careful out there. ;)
Windows 10,Windows Firewall,Firefox w/Adblock.

Nikilet

« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2010, 09:03:18 PM »
SafeSurf - It is not for diagnostics. It is for installing my NVIDIA driver. Since, as you know, I can't set a restore point, I have to be very careful and am hoping that installing this driver will help with the other problem.

Thanks for all your replies. I will be using the option of right clicking taskbar icon and disabling for 10 minutes. I am a new user of Avast. I knew I had seen those options somewhere but couldn't find them. Probably just too rattled over my computer problems. Thanks all!

SafeSurf

« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2010, 12:33:26 AM »
I know...you have a lot going on.  I'll see you on either forum depending on what issue you have.  :)