Author Topic: Paid for 4.8 Pro, but Virus updates expires before license does ??  (Read 4102 times)

stillme

Hi,
I am still coming to terms with the fact that i can not simply upgrade my paid for copy of 4.8 Pro to the new Version 5.0 ??
My Updates for the Virus Database is set to expire in December 2010, but my license will still be valid for long after that.

As i had paid for this License, i would have thought an Update would be included if they are not going to support it anymore.
Or maybe at least a Little something from avast to say thanks for buying our great product, here is something to ease the transition.

Am I the Only one with this issue ?

YoKenny

Re: Paid for 4.8 Pro, but Virus updates expires before license does ??
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2010, 03:34:40 PM »
I had no problem updating 4.8 Pro to the new V5 Pro on my XP Pro system.

avast! 5.x: Inserting the license file into avast! Pro Antivirus
http://support.avast.com/index.php?languageid=1&group=eng&_m=knowledgebase&_a=viewarticle&kbarticleid=475

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2010, 04:08:04 PM »
Hi,
I am still coming to terms with the fact that i can not simply upgrade my paid for copy of 4.8 Pro to the new Version 5.0 ??
My Updates for the Virus Database is set to expire in December 2010, but my license will still be valid for long after that.

As i had paid for this License, i would have thought an Update would be included if they are not going to support it anymore.
Or maybe at least a Little something from avast to say thanks for buying our great product, here is something to ease the transition.

Am I the Only one with this issue ?

There are major changes between avast 4.8 and 5.0 that a simple update could handle.

How did you actually install avast 5.0 ?
e.g. clean install after uninstalling avast 4.8 or installing over avast 4.0.

If you installed 5.0 over 4.8 Pro then it should have uninstalled 4.8, retained the information about the remaining license period, installed avast 5.0 and transferred that license info to the avast 5.0 install.

Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.4.6112 (build 24.4.9067.762) UI 1.0.803/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

stillme

« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2010, 10:30:43 PM »
Hi YoKenny and David,

Thank you for your reply :)

No, i haven't installed it yet. I assumed it would if it could, using the avast Program Update.

So will i just need to install the trial and re-insert my Key to retain the additional time on my License ?

I also never got a License key like the 1 shown in the link from YoKenny. A friend of mine used to be a reseller for Avast and all i got was the actual Licenses Number/key.
All i had to do for 4.8 was type it in, can i still do this for 5.0 ?

Thanks,

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2010, 11:44:06 PM »
If you install the avast 5.0 Pro over avast 4.8 Pro it should uninstall 4.8, retaining the license information and installing 5.0 Pro.

So if you have a valid copy of avast 4.8 pro and you have time left on the license, you won't have to re-insert the key. In fact the old key won't work in avast 5.0, but it can be converted if required, lets not cross that bridge unless you need to.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.4.6112 (build 24.4.9067.762) UI 1.0.803/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

stillme

« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2010, 12:01:28 AM »
Thanks David,

I'll try to install the 5.0 over it and as you say hopefully it will recognize the current License.

If it doesn't work, I'll have to roll it back for now.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2010, 12:33:25 AM »
You're welcome.

SeaDubb

« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2010, 09:14:20 PM »
stillme,

I purchased a three year license for avast 4.8 but then was told ( in the about avast dialog box ) that the updates will expire in only two years.  My vendor was element 5 and I am currently in the process of resolving this with them.  It appears that someone might have hit the 2 key instead of the 3 key.  I have also asked them to send me a license file that will be usable with version 5.xxx rather than the license key that worked under 4.8.

That has not yet resolved yet but I do expect that it will resolve satisfactorily.  You might think about following a similar path.

SeaDubb