Author Topic: avira user deciding to switch to avast  (Read 6414 times)

Offline dskiller

avira user deciding to switch to avast
« on: September 05, 2010, 06:26:55 PM »
Hello,,,avira user here, been thinking about switching to avast, but wanted to ask some things
does avast have a ignore button to ignore detections?

iRonzel

Re: avira user deciding to switch to avast
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2010, 06:34:32 PM »
Hello,,,avira user here, been thinking about switching to avast, but wanted to ask some things
does avast have a ignore button to ignore detections?

By default avast! takes the action automatically. But, you can change the settings to ask when it detect a threat.

12-es_csaj

« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2010, 06:37:37 PM »
If you change the settings, avast! will ask you what to do with the infection.
avast! uses more memory than Avira, and its heuristics and detection is worse than Avira's. But avast! has lots of features!  :) Personally I like avast! because of this.

iRonzel

« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2010, 07:01:08 PM »

avast! uses more memory than Avira, and its heuristics and detection is worse than Avira's.

No, avast! can use more memory because it have more modules of protection than Avira, is logic. That avast! is worst in detection than avira? I don't think this.

check this:

http://www.virustotal.com/file-scan/report.html?id=65bf821b20a635a97e66171c94db465dbdaee54f1297aaa5594d817db571540c-1283701810

http://www.virustotal.com/file-scan/report.html?id=51bed2128a81fc6f07745373ea6eab1a1dc9dbb03c422e82e8a3019854a421e2-1283678923

http://www.virustotal.com/file-scan/report.html?id=a788ceb66178674395bd6fc8442f3eace82c7645da77896f5f8838bba4ca752c-1283662713

edit: I can show more samples if you like.

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2010, 07:02:00 PM »
avast! uses more memory than Avira, and its heuristics and detection is worse than Avira's. But avast! has lots of features!  :) Personally I like avast! because of this.

Personaly i dont think avira use's less memory as avast is pretty much the lightest av i have ever come across and avira might have slightly higher detection's than avast but mostly these are false positive's. And yes you can set avast to ask you about any detection's so you can decide what to do with them, having it set to move to chest as a first option is pretty safe though as i find avast has always been spot on the money for me  ;)

iRonzel

« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2010, 07:07:01 PM »

Personaly i dont think avira use's less memory as avast is pretty much the lightest av i have ever come across and avira might have slightly higher detection's than avast but mostly these are false positive's. And yes you can set avast to ask you about any detection's so you can decide what to do with them, having it set to move to chest as a first option is pretty safe though as i find avast has always been spot on the money for me  ;)

+1 is 97% probably that avast! not detect a FP. Contrary to Avira. Why Avira not have an automatic action?

Offline dskiller

« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2010, 07:26:33 PM »
Thankyou people for the input. I went and made the switch..now using avast

@Llanziel
when avira detects something it thinks is  virus, it will deny access to the file and report it, it wont ask anything. in order for me to access the file i had to disable the program

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2010, 07:38:51 PM »
Thankyou people for the input. I went and made the switch..now using avast

@Llanziel
when avira detects something it thinks is  virus, it will deny access to the file and report it, it wont ask anything. in order for me to access the file i had to disable the program
Please make sure you have thoroughly removed all aspect's of avira or any other av that has been installed so as not to have any future conflict's,even pre installed av's that came with cpu must be removed.

12-es_csaj

« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2010, 09:54:34 PM »

avast! uses more memory than Avira, and its heuristics and detection is worse than Avira's.

No, avast! can use more memory because it have more modules of protection than Avira, is logic. That avast! is worst in detection than avira? I don't think this.

check this:

http://www.virustotal.com/file-scan/report.html?id=65bf821b20a635a97e66171c94db465dbdaee54f1297aaa5594d817db571540c-1283701810

http://www.virustotal.com/file-scan/report.html?id=51bed2128a81fc6f07745373ea6eab1a1dc9dbb03c422e82e8a3019854a421e2-1283678923

http://www.virustotal.com/file-scan/report.html?id=a788ceb66178674395bd6fc8442f3eace82c7645da77896f5f8838bba4ca752c-1283662713

edit: I can show more samples if you like.

Unfortunately, Avira has a much better detection rate, according to tests and some user experiences. But free Avira gets less update than the paid; hasn't got webguard and mailguard; has worse heuristics. So free Avira has less features than the paid.

To compare the paid-versions, Avira is better, but if we compare the free versions, avast! is better. Maybe only MSE is better than avast! for free.  :)

Offline Tarq57

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • If at first you don’t succeed; call it version 1.0
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2010, 05:52:19 AM »
when avira detects something it thinks is  virus, it will deny access to the file and report it, it wont ask anything. in order for me to access the file i had to disable the program
Open the interface, select "shields" then "file system shield" then "expert settings>actions" and the options to "ask" will be presented.
Similar options are available for some of the other shields.
I strongly recommend you leave the webshield at default; to "abort connection". This a particularly strong feature of Avasts' protection, and I don't know of it ever having produced a FP.
Windows 10,Windows Firewall,Firefox w/Adblock.

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2010, 08:02:35 AM »
12-es_csaj, why are you using avast if you think these other program's are better? i tried mse 1.0 and 2.0 beta and all they did was slow down my cpu with it hogging about 40/50 meg's of memory and the scanning speed was like watching grass grow plus i was lucky if it updated every two to three day's which is not good enough imo. The detection rate was'nt to bad but still much lower than avst. You are incorrect about the paid version of avira having better detection than avast 5, i think you must get your reviews from av comparative's which are a load of crock, Best way to get review's is to read there forum's and see how many people are having problem's and try out the software for yourself.

12-es_csaj

« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2010, 06:04:06 PM »
12-es_csaj, why are you using avast if you think these other program's are better? i tried mse 1.0 and 2.0 beta and all they did was slow down my cpu with it hogging about 40/50 meg's of memory and the scanning speed was like watching grass grow plus i was lucky if it updated every two to three day's which is not good enough imo. The detection rate was'nt to bad but still much lower than avst. You are incorrect about the paid version of avira having better detection than avast 5, i think you must get your reviews from av comparative's which are a load of crock, Best way to get review's is to read there forum's and see how many people are having problem's and try out the software for yourself.

Some people have problems because avast! doesn't detect trojans. Yesterday I read two complains, but there are more and more...

But I don't understand why, but there are many people whose avast! don't detect anything, but their computer is full of viruses - they complain to the bad working of their system, and they have to reinstall about 4-5 months.

iRonzel

« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2010, 06:24:42 PM »

Some people have problems because avast! doesn't detect trojans. Yesterday I read two complains, but there are more and more...

But I don't understand why, but there are many people whose avast! don't detect anything, but their computer is full of viruses - they complain to the bad working of their system, and they have to reinstall about 4-5 months.

You can have the best antivirus in the world. But, if you have the programs installed in the computer out-of-date, including the OS, You will be infected as easy as without protection. I using avast! since 2 years and no problems so far. No AV will detect all new malwares that appers everyday. And the example is above.